1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie - Prepurchase questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rajatkp, Oct 29, 2010.

1. rajatkp

rajatkp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello All,

I am a newbie looking to buy a 2009 Toyota Prius in the next one week. Have been driving a 2002 Subaru Impreza and have clocked 160k miles in 5 yrs. I commute ~500-600 miles a week and 25-30k miles a year. I live in Rochester, NY which has 100 inches of snow in winter.

Overall I had read very good things about the car. My questions are on tires -

1. Appears that the Prius needs new tires every 25-30k miles. That means I will be buying new tires every year which will more than offset any savings I see on gas. What has been the experience of other Prius users ?

- what tire brands would you recommend ? tire care ?

2. Does MPG go down in winter compared to summer ? Typically by how much ?

Thanks in advance!

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1) It depends to a great extent on the tires. I got about 30K miles on the stock Goodyears, which is pretty typical based on reports here. I replaced them with Michelin Hydroedges, which have 50K miles on them now and still are going strong. A better tire gives the added benefit of better traction in snow. Keep them inflated to the maximum sidewall pressure for optimal life.

2) Yes. (In any car.) For my driving conditions, which is about 90% in-town, I figure about a 15-20% decrease in winter. Assuming a substantial portion of yours is on the highway, the difference likely will be less -- assuming a snow-free ride.

1 person likes this.
  3. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    One more thing. I'm sure you realize this, but don't count on the same snow performance as your Subie. My Prius did well with the Hydroedges this past winter in some pretty substantial (for the mid-Atlantic) snowfalls, but it's not all-wheel drive.

4. rajatkp

rajatkp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Jim! Yes...90% of my driving is highway driving.

1) when you say "Keep them inflated to the maximum sidewall pressure for optimal life" does it mean something like 42/40 like most posts here seem to recommend. Also some folks recommend checking tire pressure weekly. On my Subaru I do that only at oil changes.

I do realise that I will be giving up the AWD comfort of my Subaru (sniff! sniff!)

2) I am planning on getting separate winter tires. So I guess my MPG will vary

5. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I used Hydro Edge by Michelin for summer and winter and had no problems. Very good snow and ice tires. This was on my Honda CR-V. They are all season and have very good traction in snow.H

6. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The max pressure on both the Goodyear Integritys and Hydroedges is 44. Most recommend a 2 PSI differential between front and rear, so 44 (front) and 42 (rear) would put you there.

I don't think weekly pressure checks are necessary, though you certainly can't go wrong with that. I recommend at least a monthly check, so unless you're changing oil monthly, I would do it more often than that.

Yes, winter tires will further decrease fuel economy. And of course, snowy roads will as well. So if you actually anticipate driving during and after your typical upstate New York snowfalls, your winter/summer differential will be substantially greater.

One more thing about snow driving that might be an issue for you: The Prius' undercarriage clearance is lower than the Subie's. The only time I got stuck during any of our snowfalls last winter is when I drove into a deceptively deep wind-blown area of snow in the driveway. The Prius makes a lousy snow plow. ;)

7. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i have 27k on my stock tires and I'm sure i will get over 50k on them. I get around 52 in the summer and 49-50 in the winter.

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I got 45,000 on the stock Integreties, but all the roads I drive are dead straight.

9. rajatkp

rajatkp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just finished a test drive and am getting it looked at by a mechanic. Initial observations -

1. Some rattle from the dashboard (seems to be coming from the front passenger side) i thought on uneven roads...is that natural ?

2. Hear a rythmic whirring for 2-3 secs when coming to a stop or accelerating from a stop (at stop lights). Is that to be expected ?

Can't seem to keep my eyes off the MPG readings :)

10. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    1. Can't comment too much on the rattle issue. People seem to have more of an issue with it with the 2010, but that might just be a "I got a new car, why the heck is it rattling" thing. My previous car was an 1989 Integra - The prius is dead quiet compared to my previous ride.

2. The whirring is normal. Sounds like an electric subway train coming to a stop. I think it is the inverter.

You can also visit the Gen II forums and look up "grill blocking" strategies for the car. By blocking the grill (you likely know this already), you'll keep heat in the engine bay and this will keep your car running at the most efficient temperatures. This will help minimize winter driving MPG losses.

11. rajatkp

rajatkp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone so far! Some more questions..

1. The smart key proximity feature does not work. the feature where you can unlock the door (driver, passenger, hatch) by pressing the black button if the smartkey is in close proximity. what could be the issue ? how much to fix it ?

2. How much does it cost to buy a duplicate/replacement smartkey ?

Thanks in advance!

12. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No. Rattles can be quite the pain to track down, though.

Probably, unless it's quite loud. It's hard to say without hearing it, but the car does make some noises you're not accustomed to hearing in a conventional car.

It only gets worse. :D

Does the keyfob lock/unlock function work? If not, then its battery probably needs replacing. Also make sure the smartkey system is turned on. There is a switch on the lower edge of the dash below the steering wheel. It allows the system to be turned off to reduce the drain on the battery while the car sits for an extended interval.

The smartkey is not cheap. I can't tell you the price right off, but others have reported $300-$400, IIRC. Do a good search here and you should find some first-hand reports.

13. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You really have to read all about the smart key to know how it works! The little squares are for locking not opening. To open you grab the inside of the handle and open the door.

For the rattle on the RT. side check the upper glove box as the tray may have fallen from the mid position? H

14. rajatkp

rajatkp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks ...The smartkey works!

Still transfixed on the MPG readings. :)

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    1. You can try to look for tires with a longer treadwear rating (UTQG). As for "offset any savings I see on gas", please name some other cars where the tires last significantly longer than what you're asserting along w/the cost of those tires. Make, model and size of tires would help and supposed tire life projection.

Tire life w/the same car and tires can vary significantly depending on the driver, road smoothness, driving conditions, alignment and tire pressure.

As a side note, as long as you're light on the brakes (to not unnecessarily engage the friction brakes), you should be able to go 100K+ miles on a set of brakes.

2. Yes, it can be a significant, esp. due to the cold winters in your area. Besides grille blocking and engine block heater, there are some other things you can do to reduce the drop somewhat.
    Yes. It's normal. You should be able to repro this by pumping the brakes a few times, even if the car is turned off.