1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie Q: should I really drive under 55mph for the first 500miles?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by liquidice63, Mar 18, 2008.

1. liquidice63

liquidice63 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi. I just got my Prius over the weekend. The dealer told me to keep it at/under 55mph for the first 500 miles.

I have a long commute on the freeway everyday. Monday I try to follow his speed suggestion, but all these cars either pass me up or tailgate really really close.

I was wondering if I should exceed this speed. would it be bad for the car in the future?
    Sorry might be a simple question, but it's my first time "breaking in" a new car

2. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The dealer is feeding you a line of @#$%^...to start with you really don't need to break the car in...that's old school thought ...just vary your speeds in normal driving...if you do 70, then do 50, then do 30, then 75...that's fine...
    just drive with the flow and don't worry about it...also...if you haven't already...get your tire pressures up to 42psi front and 40psi back...and you will be just fine...

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi liquidice63. The idea is to NOT just get on the flat open highway and set the cruise control so the ICE runs at a constant speed. Since you have no direct control over when the ICE turns on and how fast it runs, don't worry. Commuting has enough slow-and-fast driving. Try not to do any sudden braking (always good advice) for the first 600 miles or so; that gives the brake pads time to match to the microgrooves on the front disk brakes.

Mostly, just enjoy!

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Summary: don't drive like a maniac in the first 600 miles.

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2007 Owners Manual says:

"Break-in period

Drive gently and avoid high speeds. [But I don't know exactly what that means.]

Your vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in. But following a few simple tips for the first 600 miles can add to the future economy and long life of your vehicle:

* Avoid full-throttle acceleration when starting and driving.

* Avoid racing the hybrid engine.

* Try to avoid hard stops during the first 200 miles."

6. SparrowHawk60

SparrowHawk60 Happy to be green!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The above quote sounds like a plan to me! But I'd take it easy on the brakes for a few hundred more miles than the recommend.
    Wonder what speed the dealer would have recommended if the nation speed limit had never been set at 55 mph?

7. ForTheGlory

ForTheGlory New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I always think that's funny. "Don't go above 55 mph!" What's the bad thing that happens at 56 mph? I understand the need for a margin on limits, but it does come across as silly when the "break-in limit" of the engine is for some reason identical to a historical interstate speed limit.

8. northwest

northwest New Member

IIRC: For the early years, the break-in top speed on new Toyotas was 50 mph. That was the 70s, early 80s, where, at least in most places, traffic wasn't so crazy.

Of course that 50 mph limit probably had generous leeway built-in....meaning that 58/60 mph was probably OK.

BTW, I know I read a Tom and Ray newspaper column (also have car talk radio program on NPR) on Break-in Periods and just found it on their web site cartalk.com. They claim that break-in periods are not as critical as they used to be and that some car makers have done away with them altogether.

But they also say that while car are more precisely manufactured, they believe that following a break-in period could mean the difference between getting 150K out of an engine vs. getting 250K.

So, I don't think it is unreasonable for a dealer to say 55 mph, based on historic limits on Toyota engines and the prevailing speed limits in most areas today.

I just avoided major highways while driving my Prius for the first 1000 miles, and seldom topped 50 mph. Pointless, maybe, but it worked for me and at least I know that I didn't drive at an "excessive speed."

I know a lot of people think break-in periods are unnecessary nowadays, but I'd rather be a little cautious for the month or two than wonder about it for the next 150K

9. liquidice63

liquidice63 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the info.

I'll try to drive in intervals, but hard braking is already out of the way. During my commute today someone tried to change into my lane, but i guess he didnt see the car infront of me. It started this chain reaction and about 4 or 5 cars had to do some evasive manuevuers. It was a little crazy, but no rear ends.

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's still worthwhile to avoid hard braking. That one instance may not have done any harm.