1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie question about regional availability

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by larrym, Sep 20, 2007.

1. larrym

larrym New Member

I'm new to this forum and have enjoyed reading many of the topics. I'm also new to dealing with Toyota and have tried to place an order here in NJ for a 2008 Touring edition with package 6 (flexible on color).. After almost a week my salesperson called me to say that it is very unlikely they will be able to get that car for me as it is not a configuration normally available in this region. She said they would speak to their regional rep but didn't seem very optimistic. If my dealer can't come through are there any other reasonable avenues through which I could purchase this car. I find it hard to believe that even at the beginning of the '08 model year, I might be unable to acquire the car I want even if I am willing to wait several months, if need be. I apologize if this issue has been beaten to death before. Any thoughts or advice or leads to another thread would be most appreciated.... Thanks

2. twilsonchicago

twilsonchicago Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LarryM @ Sep 20 2007, 06:13 PM) [snapback]515499[/snapback]</div>
    Well, you can get one of those in the Chicago area, if you don't mind traveling to get your car. I ordered an '08 Touring package 6 and took delivery 3 weeks later (2 weeks ago).

Tim
    Chicago

3. mseebode

mseebode New Member

I live in the Cincinnati area, but I am buying my car from a Toyota dealer in upstate NY (my dad), and they are getting the same frustrating news from that regional rep. I have to wonder what they are basing their allocations on - tea leaves? It is so frustrating. They are now online checking with the other dealers in the region to see if they can make a trade. I am not even trying for a touring. The 2009 edition will be out before I could get one of those!

Maybe it's the rep...I'm told that they hire them right out of college. I'm thinking unskilled entry level. That explains a lot!

4. vrsola

vrsola New Member

[
    I ordered one through a dealer in cincinatti(costco program)
    He said it will take 90-100 days
    It is not one available regionally and can not build it through the Toyota website.
    I gave him 2 choices pine mica silver or the light blue color(sea side pearl)
    either option 3 or 5
    any color interior.

5. mseebode

mseebode New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Johnson @ Sep 20 2007, 10:01 PM) [snapback]515555[/snapback]</div>
    Weird irony here - the only Prius in the allotment my dad is getting is the seaside pearl with option 5! I want leather seats and I don't want the blue (it was the only color I didn't want), so he's checking with all of the regional dealerships to see what he can find. If you are looking for the seaside pearl with option 5, contact Kinderhook Toyota, Kinderhook, NY and ask for Al (my dad). Meanwhile, I'll be waiting for my White, Black or Pine with option 6. <_<

6. khagerman

khagerman New Member

Hiya,

I'm new to the forum also. I had been looking at the Prius here in New Mexico but the dealers never had more than a few...............

Went to California on a quick trip and it was like being in Prius world. Saw LOTS of Priuses on the roads, driveways etc. Went to a dealer and they had 25 on the lot including three or four that were #6. I bought a 2007 Prius, package #5. They worked with our NM MVD and charged the excise tax (which is waived in New Mexico for hybrids) and the NM titling fees. I chose to have the car transported here and will get it today.

It may seem extreme but CA certainly had a huge selection so............you may want to consider a vacation and purchase :)

7. Prinux

Prinux New Member

I feel lucky. Here in MA (Boston area), we looked at a few dealers. One or two had a 2008, the rest had a pretty good selection of 2007s onhand between them (we weren't looking at Tourings, so I'm not sure what it was like in that realm). I think the key with Prius shopping is to be a bit open about choices... Pick two or three packages and color combinations you could live with, and when you find one that meets the price range.... Put a deposit.

Our 2004, we waited two months... Then, in February 04, we were alerted on a message board to a dealer in VT that had a deal fall through... And a Prius was sitting unclaimed on the lot. We asked two questions: What is the package? --and then: You promise you won't jack up the price because it's the only one in three states?

Both answers were acceptable. :) We took the four hour drive to Vermont the next morning and took 'er home that afternoon. It was only when we arrived in Vermont we learned it was a super white, btw.

There seem to be, in this area of the country, an overwhelming number of 2s and 5s left (a few 6s, but leather seats weren't really a priority, or worth the extra money to us), in silver, mica or blue. Silver and mica seem to be what we were coming across a lot. Once in awhile that nifty grey color.

We got our Seaside Pearl in Acton, Ma. At the time, they had, I believe they said, about five similar Prii on the lot.

shoe

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Toyota doesn't build the Prius to order, but makes a mix of options based on some magic formula. Not all packages are available in all areas. If you want a package not sold in your area, you will have to travel to get it.

Tom

9. larrym

larrym New Member

Thanks everybody for the helpful comments and suggestions... It appears that I will have arrange to purchase outside of my region, as several of you noted, if I'm going to get the specific car I want... just seems incredulous to me... My other option , of course, is to be more flexible as shoe noted. I am actually giving some consideration to giving up on the touring edition which would certainly open up many more opportunities for me to get a car with the features and color I want in a reasonable time frame within my "region". I'll have to think it over and make a decision... Thanks again for your thoughts....
    Larry