1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie Question about the motor when driving ...

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by cuong32, May 25, 2008.

1. cuong32

cuong32 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello everyone...I just purchased a brand new 08 Prius #5 2 weeks ago. I noticed on the second day that after starting up the car and the gas motor kicks in:

1) the car lundges a little and...

2) when it's done warming up, the motor feels like it stalls (similar feeling to stalling while driving a stick shift)...but the car is still able to drive and perform normal operations.

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance

2. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'll take a shot at this and say, probably normal. The ICE will shudder sometimes when it shuts off, until it gets up to operating temperature. The "stalling" could be the traction control kicking in. If the wheel(s) are slipping upon acceleration the traction control feature feels like the power is cut off, then it recovers. (If the wheels aren't slipping, then there may be another problem.)
    Others, feel free to jump in!

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Normal.

"Stalling"? The engine deliberately shuts itself off when it is not needed and re-starts itself when it is needed. It does this many times while driving. Is that what you're noticing?

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :welcome: Welcome to PriusChat, cuong32!
    I'm pretty sure it's normal. A new Prius shuts down the Internal Combustion Engine a little harder than one with a few thousand miles on it. The ICE doesn't just stop, the electric motor moves it to the place where it will start again the easiest. If it misses the spot the first time, it goes through another cycle to get to the right place, this causes a shudder which may feel a little like a stall. I bet you won't notice after your first oil change.

As for the lunging, this too seems to be a new Prius phenomenon. The Power Split Device is always engaged, so the car is never out of gear. A new ICE may start a little more forcefully and give you a little rocking. Don't worry, enjoy!

5. cuong32

cuong32 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for everyone's input. Now I can enjoy my Prius!!!