1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie Question - Entune?!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Curious Liz, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Curious Liz

Curious Liz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey everyone,

OK so I just bought my Prius 2012 model 4 last night.

Last night I synced my phone for phone calls and music. - No problem whatsoever.

Today, I went to the website and registered for Entune. I have the app downloaded on my iphone 4. I used the app to put my Pandora username and password in.

I cannot figure out what else to do. I go to bluetooth devices, choose my phone, and connect for internet, and it tells me "Connection has failed. Please ensure that the Entune app is running on your device." The app most definitely is running. I also tried connecting to USB and I can tell the port works, but I still can't connect. I am very confused and the manual offers absolutely no help. The dealership I bought the car at doesn't even know what Entune IS - they argued with me when I bought the car last night that it was "already set up and running and they didn't understand what my question was".

Does anyone have ANY ideas?? Please?

2. Curious Liz

Curious Liz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey everyone,

OK so I just bought my Prius 2012 model 4 last night.

Last night I synced my phone for phone calls and music. - No problem whatsoever.

Today, I went to the website and registered for Entune. I have the app downloaded on my iphone 4. I used the app to put my Pandora username and password in.

I cannot figure out what else to do. I go to bluetooth devices, choose my phone, and connect for internet, and it tells me "Connection has failed. Please ensure that the Entune app is running on your device." The app most definitely is running. I also tried connecting to USB and I can tell the port works, but I still can't connect. I am very confused and the manual offers absolutely no help. The dealership I bought the car at doesn't even know what Entune IS - they argued with me when I bought the car last night that it was "already set up and running and they didn't understand what my question was".

Does anyone have ANY ideas?? Please?

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Liz, I merged your two threads into this one in the audio forum. Please do not make the same cut and copied posts in various threads. Thank You :)

4. Selzier

Selzier Whee!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Curious Liz,

I had the same exact issue and it took me and the dealership over an hour to figure out everything on this one. I'm running the iPhone 4S by the way so I think our issues may be similar as the phones are similar. Once you finish registering on the Entune website, and enter in your Pandora log in information, open the Entune app on your phone, and plug it into the USB. At this point your audio control screen should ask you if you want to connect to the internet via your phone. Once you click yes it warns you that this uses your data plan, blah blah blah blah, keep clicking yes and the prompts will disappear. About 1-2 seconds later it should tell you you are now successfully connected to the internet via (insert your phone's name here).

Once this occurs you can press the "Apps" button on your screen and it'll take you to available apps. Now this is where both I and the dealership got stuck for an hour because no matter WHAT I DID or what they did, Pandora kept on telling us that it could not connect to the internet. We tried unpairing the phone, using different wires, turning off bluetooth, turning off the car and turning it back on, resetting the car settings, etc etc.

Eventually, what worked for me was to "hard reset" my iPhone. Sometimes when apps are installed they don't run properly and require a reset after the initial install. If you don't know how to do the hard reset, here's how:

Note, this does NOT erase any settings, apps, pictures, music, etc. It will however close any running apps (despite what the multi-tasking screen may say) so make sure if you're running an app that needs you to save something to do that first. From all intents and purposes it will just seem like you turned your phone off, then back on.

1. If you have multi-tasking enabled on your phone, double tap the home button (the button on the front bottom of your screen that closes apps) and hold the Entune app until it "squiggles" and an x appears on the top left of the icon.

2. Tap the x to ensure that Entune is closed completely.

3. Hold down the home button and power button (the button on the bottom of the screen that closes apps, and the button at the top of the phone that turns off the phone's screen/powers down the phone) together.

4. Now keep holding it down and ignore the "slide to turn off" bar that appears. Do NOT swipe the bar or else you'll perform a normal reset instead of a hard reset.

5. After about 5-10 seconds the phone will turn off. KEEP HOLDING BOTH BUTTONS DOWN or else the phone will just power off normally.

6. About 5-10 seconds later the Apple icon should appear. At this point let go of both buttons as the hard reset has completed. Your phone will boot up within a minute or two (it takes just a little longer than a normal power up).

Now you can reopen Entune, plug in your phone to your car (by the way the iPhone can't connect Entune via bluetooth, it HAS to be done via the USB wire).

Some other things to consider:

-If you accidentally let go of either of the buttons during the process, do not worry. Your phone will just power down normally and holding down the power button will turn your phone back on.
    -You must have data enabled on your phone. If you do not have a data plan this may not work.
    -Entune really is a bothersome system. Most people I know do not use it and there are work arounds (for example I use Pandora straight from my phone and just plug it into the car using the "iPod" function)
    -You can not run Entune features via bluetooth
    -You MUST get the prompts regarding connecting Entune to the internet via your phone. If these prompts DO NOT show there is a problem with your phone and car communicating that Entune is activated. More than likely this could be an Entune bug and I recommend taking your car back to the dealership and demanding they fix it. If you want to be 100% sure you can perform a factory reset on your iPhone (basically deleting everything and restoring your phone as if you bought it new) just to make sure this is a problem with the car.
    -I am suspicious of the dealership that sold you this car. Entune has become a standard feature with navigation on a few of their vehicles, including the Camry, their best selling car. If they don't know about this feature, I would be worried.
    -I would recommend finding someone in the dealership who knows what Entune is. If you know of another dealership that sells Toyota's, try going to them and asking. I'm pretty sure all cars on the lot should have the most updated Entune version but if not, ask that they update it for you.

Anyway I've done enough blabbing. If you know how to hard reset your phone, try that and then open entune and plug in. Hopefully this connects you and you can quickly learn that Entune isn't worth it. By the way did I mention that after 3 years you have to pay 5 bucks a month for it if you want to keep it? :eek: