1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie question: salvage bargain?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Aardvick, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Aardvick

Aardvick New Member

Hi everyone, There is a beautiful salsa red 2005 with a salvage title that I'm considering buying... It was damaged in a hail storm and written off for some reason. How big a risk would it be to own a Prius without a warranty? Have any of you *used* your warranties yet? Anyone have experience with salvage titles?
    Thanks for you help!

2. cmwade77

cmwade77 New Member

If it's over $500 I wouldn't reccomend it, there can be a ton of hidden damage and without a warranty who knows how much you'll end up spending.

3. Alrobot

Alrobot Junior Member

I don't think the salvage title has anything to do with the warranty, especially since you can buy one online here. I thought the battery warranty was a toyota think and not related to the title.

4. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    *IF* it was just hail damage and the price was right I'd consider it. I'd really want the specifics on why it was salvaged. If it was just body damage and it was cheap enough....that is for you do decide. But they seem pretty reliable. I'd ask my local dealership what the average cost would be to replace a high end item and kind of factor that in to your price. For example...if the ECU went bad to the tune of $4000. Would you still be under the price of what it would have cost new? I guess what I'm saying is make sure you are getting enough off the original price to warrent the risk of buying a salvaged car.

5. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If I'm not mistaken once a car is "totaled" then all warranty's are void.

6. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

You may not be able to insure it, either.

Salvage usually means the cost to repair exceeded 80% of its current value.

What damage costs more than $15K to fix? Obviously there is more damage than is evident. Ask for a copy of the insurance report that determined it was to be salvaged.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yep, once the car is totaled, you don't have a warranty anymore.

if it's worth it really depends really on how much you're saving vs buying new. remember all TSBs and such that go out, unless they're recalls, will not be covered. there are some pretty expensive computer items (MFD, many ECUs, etc) that rarely go bad, but when they do... yikes.

the MFD and stereo unit have out-of-warranty exchange programs for those unfortunate enough to experience trouble out of warranty. for everything else, you'd be on your own.

incidence of trouble is pretty low, there are few prii in the shop around here (for anything above and beyond general maintenance that is) in comparison to the huge number out on the roads in my area.

up to you if you want to take the chance. good luck :)

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh, good point. yes, could very well have a hard time getting anything more than liability insurance.

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I have noted that people do buy salvage Prius on ebay. Since mid-Oct 2003 23 "urepaired" classic have sold for an average of $6300. The 90 repaired ones depreciate about like cleaned-titled Prius (roughly 7 cents per mile), but from a lower starting price of about $13600. Sorry no data about the new model Prius. Too many hobbies already. Who needs a hobby? Watch new model Prius sales on ebay.

10. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, when my wife's Windstar was in an accident (nobody hurt), the insurance company wrote it off as totaled. We then had a choice either take the money OR take the car and the money (less 20%), take it to a body shop, get it fixed, take it to the Highway Patrol to confirm it's drivable, take it to the DMV and have it listed as "salvaged." After that, we wouldn't be able to get collision insurance (we ended up taking the money).

11. Aardvick

Aardvick New Member

My insurance company has no problem with insuring a repaired salvage as long as it's registered and road-worthy.

As to why it was "totalled," the story I was told is that the driver abandoned the car in a hailstorm with the key in his pocket. The insurance company was unable to start the car and rather than take it to a dealer, just wrote it off.

The dents in the roof and hood have been repaired. All exterior and interior parts are original. Asking price 18,500. Lack of warrantee is my main concern...
    [attachmentid=2562]

12. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sounds fishy. When the owner filed the insurance claim, he would have disclosed the car's location. If they had a problem starting it, why didn't they just ask for the key, especially if they knew it was in his pocket? Even if they couldn't recover the key, wouldn't it just add like $1400 or so to the repair cost to replace the keys & ECU? A lot of money, to be sure, but enough to total a new car?

13. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Can you get a title search to check out the story? Do you see any signs of body work? Is it possible that this is a car that was flooded in Katrina? If it is as clean as it seems, get your best deal, buy it and convert it to a PHEV. That would wreck the warranty anyway.

Seriously, it sounds pretty risky. But if you can afford the risk............

Allan de

edit: I agree with gschoen

14. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The story sounds a little suspicious. Why would someone with insurance abandon a dented car that was otherwise fine? And how did the insurance company "write it off"? If the guy abandoned it, then why would they pay him anything? Like I said, sounds a little suspicious. . .

Anyway, you didn't say what package it is, but if it's a low-numbered (i.e. < 4) package, I don't think that $18.5K is low enough to mitigate some of the problems you may have from it being a salvaged car. For higher numbered packages, I'd consider it, but only if you're sure that the only damage was the body damage (which has been repaired). I think the Prius is a really, really reliable car which, in the absence of pre-existing conditions, might be OK without a warranty. On the other hand, all models of cars have some problems, and you might get unlucky and find that this one has problems.

EDIT: I see that there are three of us that posted consecutively that we find the story fishy. If you do want to buy this car, make sure you really get the full story first. Just remember: you can only trust a car dealer as far as you can throw him.

15. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, it sounds way fishy. I'd get the VIN number and go to CarFax to check it out...

16. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My insurance is State Farm. When I bought my Prius I asked them if they gave me a discount since it had side and curtain airbags since my agent hadn't asked about them. I was told they when they input the VIN all the options come up and insurance is priced accordingly. I think the insurance knows more about that car than anyone. Ask for the insurance company's name and call them with the VIN.

17. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    At a minimum run a CarFax on this car and get it's insurance history. The story really sounds fishy. Can you contact the body shop that did the work? You also want to make sure it isn't a Katrina flooding victim.

18. TucsonPrius

TucsonPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Run Away! Run Away!

I can't believe that hail damage would cause a salvage title. I, for one, bought a hail damaged car, and it wasn't a salvage. It had a clear title, full warranty, everything just fine, except for the (small) dents on the hood and roof. Saved about $1500-$2000 off the new price (it was new--just hailed on).

More likely, I would believe flood damage out of Louisiana.

Again, Run Away!

Just my 2cents.

Thanks,
    Shawn

19. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

"Hail damage" but the car shows no damage to any surface? They replaced all the sheetmetal and repainted it perfectly? And it was still totaled? But they'll sell it to you for only $18.5K?

Do they have a "before" pic? Do they have any documentation from the insurance company on why the car was totaled? Do they have any proof at all of the veracity of their statements? Will they write down their story and make it a part of the sales contract, with a promise to take the car back if the story turns out to be false or incomplete?

Didn't think so...

20. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As I suggested earlier, and as BeGreen also suggested, CarFax, CarFax, CarFax...just get the VIN # and go to carfax.com...