1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by norman, Apr 13, 2004.

1. norman

norman New Member

Sorry if this is really dumb (I am about 3 months away from delivery).

In all the photos I've seen, I haven't seen an engine temperature guage. Does one exist? or do you just get a warning after a problem has occurred?

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No gauge. Lots of warning lights. Not sure, but I don't think there's even a specific engine-temp warning. Interesting observation!

3. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good question Norman.
    I miss the temp gauge along with engine oil pressure and RPMs. What I dont miss is 20MPG; the 48MPG is doing just fine. Guess its just part of the change from typical ICEs to hybrids.

4. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if you think it's distracting to watch the LCD display now, what would happen if you saw the Tach going from zero to 2500 rpm and down to zero every once in a while, as you went up and down hills?!?!?

i think i'm GLAD there's no tach!
    :D

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oh my lord why do you want a temp gauge??

they are simply painful reminders of the things i used to have to put up with.

i am glad its not there(after all it is not needed) and imagine if you were driving through town (or in my case driving the freeway around seattle at 30 mph) the gauge would only serve to let you know when the gas engine was charging the batteries and would be a distraction. i would much rather look at the power display.

6. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Actually, I'll bite (I'm never afraid to show my ignorance.)

• The Prius still has an ICE (though a smaller one than most cars).
    • The Prius still requires engine coolant. (The maintenance section of the manual tells you what brand to fill it with.)
    • I'm assuming the ICE could still overheat.

• In this case, wouldn't an engine temperature gauge be useful in some situations? (I mean, what if you live in the SW, or in Death Valley?)

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually in Car and Driver when they featured the Prius after it won car of the year, they tested it in the so. CA desert and they had no overheat problems at all.

i dont live in anything remotely resembling a severe climate hot or cold so i couldnt tell you how the Prius reacts but I have popped the hood after several miles of driving and i cant say that the engine compartment seems hot to me.

has anyone else experienced any signs of overheating? or even a significantly warm car? i have only had my car during the "winter" and early spring although our winters in western WA are very mild.

also its been my experience that i never needed a temperature gauge to tell me my car was hot. in the few ocassions that i have had boilovers, by the time the temp gauge told me i had a problem, it was pretty much too late. believe me when i tell you having the gauge didnt make me feel any safer simply because in severe weather, things go wrong way to fast to make a difference. when i lived in Riverside, CA i had a car that overheated and the gauge would go from normal to hot in minutes.

8. norman

norman New Member

Well, hopefully there is some kind of warning (and just when a temperature needle would have breached the "red" boundary).

I saved a cylinder head once, because I noticed the temp going "beyond" the norm. It must be monitored by the ECU (so it knows when to engage it's various stages of ICE/Stealth etc). Hopefully I'll never need to know what happens if a radiator leaks etc. It'll be too well maintained to get to that point.

My Prius is gonna be my obsession. I have already worded up the family.

What colour carpet do you think I should put in the garage ;-)

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    lol!

well i guess you could go with green carpet for the christmassy look.

10. priusfanmh

priusfanmh Guest

doesn't the '04 have blue and red temperature (looks like a thermometer in water) warning lights, like the classic Prius has?

blue when the engine temp is cold but goes out when engine temp is normal, and the red one will light when the engine is overheating?

11. bookrats

bookrats New Member

There is a "high coolant temperature" warning light mentioned in the Owner's Manual; it refers to the "hybrid system's" coolant.

I'm unclear if that's coolant for the non-ICE part of the car, or if they just refer to the entire engine (ICE and non-ICE parts together) as the "hybrid system".

12. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Throw pillows!...you need throw pillows for that couch like back seat even if your back seat pax never use them. They do come in handy for naps in the car if you can't nap in your office. Pillows look cool from outside and add some color to the ivory interior. I found matching front seat cushions as well because I'm a bit too tall for the low slung driver seat.
    I like the ivory over the grey, but I'm in the minority here.
    The cup holder in the front works as a flower holder too; can't let the VW Beetle be the only kid on the block with a flower holder. Go for it. This car has the same campy cute bizazz of the original VW Beetle, with a high tech flair.
    If you are truly obsessed, you'll name your car; if you're looking to find out if we are also obsessed, you'll share the name with us.
    Bob

13. Sharon

Sharon New Member

They do come in handy for naps in the car if you can't nap in your office. Pillows look cool from outside and add some color to the ivory interior. I found matching front seat cushions as well because I'm a bit too tall for the low slung driver seat.
    I like the ivory over the grey, but I'm in the minority here.

Hey, I too have had those small pillows in my cars and will again with the Prius to come. They really do come in handy for passengers getting comfortable on those longer rides.
    And yeah, I've had grey interiors all my life. I can't wait for the ivory interior along with the car.

14. Batavier

Batavier Member

Cars overheat mainly in traffic jams and when going up steep slopes for long periods of time. In other words when the engine has to work hard at low rpms.

In traffic jams the Prius hardly needs to use the ICE (if at all) so not much chance of it getting hot... and going up hills it's assisted by the motor for extra torque plus the CVT will probably make sure the engine rpms are high enough to not overheat the engine too much. :)

15. 04preius

04preius New Member

My 2004 owners manual shows a dash board symbol & explaination (p125,126). The Prius CAN overheat, it has a hot temp warning light. I can add one more concern: given that it's an Aluminum block engine, does it recover its original shape & size after it does overheat? I have a friend that totaled a Chevy Vega that way...granted it was 25 yrs ago.

16. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

They are nice. Just be sure they don't block the battery vent to the right of the back seat. And to avoid conflicts with the airbags don't let your passengers rest against the doors.

17. bookrats

bookrats New Member

The Prius owner's manual does warn about overheating when "driving up a long hill on a hot day" (page 126). Though I agree that the problem would be less likely to occur with a Prius, given the assist.

The other example in the manual of "severe operating conditions" that could cause the engine to overheat is "Reducing speed or stopping after high speed driving". :?

18. rockluvr

rockluvr New Member

The temperature gauge is something that I miss on the Prius. Even if it was a light that went out when the ICE was warmed up, that would be good. I have not thought about the overheating problem, but that certainly is a consideration.

19. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think anyone would be foolish to worry about the Prius overheating on anything but the most extreme of days.

for one thing, to help with performance, the Prius PREHEATS the engine coolent. this is done because in most driving situations, the engine will not run often enough to get warm and stay warm.

obviously on a very very hot day, less PREHEATING will be necessary.

20. Sharon

Sharon New Member

They are nice. Just be sure they don't block the battery vent to the right of the back seat. And to avoid conflicts with the airbags don't let your passengers rest against the doors.

Thanks for the reminder Richard.