1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Taath, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Taath

Taath New Member

Hello all,
    I am very new to the Prius. Just got my 2006 a few days ago. I apologize for the nature of the question, as I am sure it will be quite elementary to those of you with more experience. Simply stated, I've noticed the battery level as shown on the MFD seems to fluctuate quite regularly, going up and down rather quickly. I was unsure if this was normal or not. Other than that, I love the car to death and have really enjoyed reading many posts on the forum, of particular interest to me is the EV switch posts, and I am quite tempted to get the mod. Thank you in advance for your responses.

Thank you,
    Taath

2. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, what's your definition of "rather quickly"? Remember that the car *uses* the battery to help get you the best fuel economy possible. This means that the battery charge will go up and down as you drive. This is just a normal part of how the car works. Certainly if the battery indicator goes up or down by 1 or 2 bars in the course of normal driving, that's completely normal. I've found that, often, when I'm getting up to highway speeds it will drop several bars. But that's to be expected; it's using the battery to help you accelerate.

If it went from the top (i.e. 8 bars) to the bottom (i.e. 1 bar) in 30 seconds or something, then I'd be concerned. Otherwise, just drive it and enjoy it! :)

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    no worries, that's perfectly normal. the strength of the hybrid system is in actually using the battery (both to power the car and store excess energy), so it is actually very good! :)

4. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Keep in mind that the Prius' battery is really pretty small. It would only move the car about 1 mile or so on flat ground by itself. Driving conditions will determine how much the SOC (state of charge) of the battery will fluxuate. Oh, and welcome to Prius Chat! :D

5. Taath

Taath New Member

Ah, wonderful. I am a bit of a worrier, so I just wanted to check and make sure it was normal. Thank you all for your input. Also, one more question if I may. Is the EV mod really helpful in increasing fuel economy or is it more of a "look what my car can do" type of thing? Thanks again!

Thanks,
    Taath

6. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Also, don't be surprised if the battery display rarely shows you either of the top two bars, which would be in green. The Prius basically tries to keep the battery as shown on the display in about the middle. You'll probably only ever see one or two green bars if you go down a long, steep hill. Similarly, you'll almost never see the display showing only one or two bars (some people say they're pink while others say purple).

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Taath @ Jul 26 2006, 04:50 PM) [snapback]292856[/snapback]</div>
    The latter mostly but if you know how to use it properly, it can improve mileage but only minutely.

9. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The big thing to remember with the EV mod is that the energy has to come from somewhere... some people have been able to use it to run down the batteries before coming to a large downhill where they know the regen braking will completely charge the batteries, but asside from this (and possibly one or two more) special case, it's pretty much just for showing off. Many people use it as an educational tool to inform people about the abilities of the Prius.

Personally, i use it a couple of times a day... there are a few spots where i know i'm going to be stopped by traffic lights, but with the ICE on at low speeds, it rarely turns off until you're completely stopped, so i force it off with the EV mod as i glide up to the light.

10. molgrips

molgrips Member

I use EV mode coming out of our housing development. We live up a hill, so I back out of the driveway and drive down the hill slowly in EV mode. If I didn't use it, the engine would run to warm up but get poor mpg because I'm only going slowly. I take EV mode off when I enter traffic and the ICE can warm up at the same time as powering me along.

If I don't use EV mode, the first bar on the MFD is at about 35, if I do it'll be 50 or so. On a short trip this does make a difference to my average, but not on a long one.

I've carefully refined the commute to work so that I can get about 64mpg, and likewise the drive into the city centre where I can get 71mpg or so, whereas at first I would get maybe 54 and 56 respectively. Using EV as described above is responsible for much of that. They are both 10 minute trips by the way. Oh, and all gallons are British :)