1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie questions about a few odd things...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by scoot, Nov 28, 2006.

1. scoot

scoot Member

Hi -

First of all, I apologize if I am posting this to the wrong location, or if the answers are in a FAQ. I just bought a 2007 Prius w/ package 5. I have done some reading and already:

1. Have successfully turned off the beeping in reverse thing
    2. Satisfied myself that I can't turn off the "I accept" requirement in the navigation.

So here are my questions that I haven't found the answers for:

1. Is there a way to increase the brightness of the illumination on the steering wheel buttons, hopefully without making everything else brighter too...

2. How do you make the modification so that the smartkey opens all the doors instead of just the driver's door?

3. Is there _really_ no coin holder???? (I realize that this isn't really a tech question, but I figured one post instead of three).

Thanks - super site!
    Scott

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Howdy and welcome to the group.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scoot @ Nov 28 2006, 07:31 PM) [snapback]355099[/snapback]</div>
    Not yet, though some folks are working on it.

From my Prius Mods page, swiped from the PC FAQ: http://evnut.com/prius_smart_entry.htm. Slightly more confusing directions can also be found in your car's user manual.

Really. But you can buy an $59 little tray from Sigma Automotive that'll do it for you. Look under "interior" at the bottom for "Armrest console organizer." It is a JDM part. I've found that after spending the $59 that I don't have much change left to hold!

Good luck.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scoot @ Nov 28 2006, 07:31 PM) [snapback]355099[/snapback]</div>
    Darell pretty much sums it up. I was disappointed that it didn't come with a driver's side compartment (like the Corolla/Camry and I suppose every other Toyota)

4. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scoot @ Nov 28 2006, 10:31 PM) [snapback]355099[/snapback]</div>
    Hi scoot,

You will probably find the steering wheel lighting will become a non-issue after a short while, since most drivers quickly learn the steering wheel buttons by feel after a couple weeks or months. ;)

I agree with your point about the changeholder though... <_< myself I use a small pouch I bought at Walmart for like $2 which I keep in the upper glovebox, on that little shelf. FYI on that note, you should find a mysterious rectangular piece of plastic in the lower glove box, which fits in the slots between the hinges of the upper glovebox to make the shelf, in case you have not already discovered this. ;)

5. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scoot @ Nov 28 2006, 10:31 PM) [snapback]355099[/snapback]</div>
    Is there any objection to keeping coins in the cup holder on the front console? An alternative is to use 35mm film canisters stored in the little drawer on the front console but I suppose the objection to this is that you can't get them out so quickly.

6. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I put my change on the little shelf in the center console...but I also have EZ Pay and don't need change for tolls.

7. scoot

scoot Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Nov 29 2006, 04:23 AM) [snapback]355165[/snapback]</div>
    Only a mild objection -- I prefer the coins sorted so I can get exact change easily.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Nov 28 2006, 08:46 PM) [snapback]355122[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. I can't tell much from the tiny picture. Are the coins organized in separate little slots, or is it just a little coin cup for the coins to mix? I want (don't ask why) the quarters separate from dimes, etc.

8. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scoot @ Nov 29 2006, 10:11 AM) [snapback]355198[/snapback]</div>
    I got a nifty little coin holder at Target that keeps everything separate; it uses up one cupholder, but since I never use both at once this is a non-issue (and it's held in place by velcro in case it ever does become an issue).

What I wish for is a coin holder that just holds quarters, since that's really the only coin I need (for meters, since I also have an EZ Pass, or "Fast Lane" as they call them here in Massachusetts). My Echo had one built right in!

9. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Prius owners are high class people. They use real folding money, not change! (Can you imagine Donald Trump fishing for a quarter?) But if you need to, you can use the little secret drawer on the lower front portion of the center armrest. This morning I ran an experiment and discovered it holds exactly $16.35. Results may vary! :D

Welcome to the site and enjoy the new car. I'm still dazzled by it a year later. I'm with you on wishing the steering wheel had better lighting. I never remember which telephone button to hit to answer a call ( I get so few) when it goes off in the dark. If they were reversed, I'd tell myself to remember the words, "Right on" but, unfortunately this is wrong so I have to remember that instead. But other than that I find that I have possibilities learning Braille.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scoot @ Nov 28 2006, 11:31 PM) [snapback]355099[/snapback]</div>
    I use the driver's seat, mostly where the back and bottom come together. Sometimes I use the area under the seat and along the door. :D

Tom

11. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Quote: "Is there any objection to keeping coins in the cup holder on the front console?"

Could be. Awhile back, someone who kept their coins in one of the front cup holders had a coin slip into the mechanism and jam the cup holder. He/she had to find out how to disassemble the center console to remove the coin and restore functionality to the cup holder. Seems to me that was about a year ago, but I don't specifically recall the date range.

12. iDonna

iDonna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Nov 29 2006, 12:15 PM) [snapback]355238[/snapback]</div>
    This is so true!

Last night I reached for my iPod Mini Shuffle instruction pamphlet and found a brand new $100 bill folded up in fours nestled inside!

Seriously!

:wacko:

13. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It won't help folks who like to keep coin types separate from one another, but I use the hole in the driver's door arm rest. Quick, easy, accessible... and free. Can't bring myself to spend $60 to organize loose change. Besides, I want my cup holders for cups. And my fiancee wants them for her lottery tickets! :)

14. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Nov 29 2006, 05:16 PM) [snapback]355391[/snapback]</div>
    That's exactly where I kept my quarters for tolls before I got my SmartTag/EZPass. I still keep a few quarters there, but not nearly as many.

15. scoot

scoot Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Nov 29 2006, 02:16 PM) [snapback]355391[/snapback]</div>
    I'm completely willing to (or crazy enough) to spend $60 for a coin organizer if it does what I want and looks nice. I just need a bigger picture or a better description of the thing before I decide...

16. Katznbooks

Katznbooks New Member

Tom
    What is that way cool yellow building shown in your avatar? B)

17. Newsmom

Newsmom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I swear, I've tried to change my unlocking action, so that all the doors unlock when one is accessed.

Honestly, I've done this before (on my 2005). But are you CERTAIN it works the same way on my 2007? I'd hate to pull up to the Toyota service bay and announce that I'm an idiot...... (I'd do it, but I'd hate it).

Thanks.

18. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Nov 29 2006, 12:46 AM) [snapback]355122[/snapback]</div>
    Darrelldd - How many times can you come to my rescue! This is very useful information for me since it's been annoying to me that all four doors don't unlock with the key. Thanks!

19. Newsmom

Newsmom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Newsmom @ Dec 1 2006, 05:34 PM) [snapback]356439[/snapback]</div>
    Update: Stood in the parking garage a good 5 minutes or more, pressing buttons on my fob, and somehow fooled the darn system into doing what I want.