1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie questions about the c from a non-hybrid driver

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by mnaf, May 2, 2012.

1. mnaf

mnaf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I apologize in advance for the long-winded post...
    I'm looking for a more fuel efficient vehicle for commutes in order to save some money.
    To consider a Prius is a big step for me - I've been a life long rabid racing and performance car fan and would rather move way up (in HP and performance) from my 2000 Maxima 5spd, but I'm driving a lot of miles and just can't ignore the potential $$ gas savings. Going "back" to a compact car feels like taking a couple steps back (started with a Datsun 210....Tercel....). I have no hybrid experience except for driving (and kind of enjoying) a friend's 2007 Prius for 400 mi. a few years ago. But there's also something strangely very....."comforting".....in the thought of a 475+ mile cruising range in a vehicle with a 9.5 gal tank......

My driving is about 950hwy, 500city miles a month; hwy speed is 70-75mph, 72 a solid average. My intent is to drive the c the same way and as a "normal" car while maybe occasionally playing the mpg game for fun. But, really, hwy cruising w/ cruise control at 72 would be the norm for 52 mile commutes (AC on depending on season). (Does the engine continuously run high rpms to maintain these hwy speeds?)
    I just want to drive it quickly and get much better mpg than the 23/24 combined I'm currently getting (hopefully double it?).

I'm looking at a c 3/4 with moonroof - I'm also considering a used Prius "liftback" - prices are sort-of similar - but the c's handling appears better (and it'd be a brand new car). I'll admit - a big negative against the "liftback" is that they're just everywhere. I work near Palo Alto, CA, and I swear you can't throw a stick without hitting a Prius! And then it'll bounce off another Prius.

For the c I'd quickly upgrade with a front tower strut bar and a rear sway bar for handling but not mess with the aero or height - Toyota spent a lot of money designing the c for efficiency.

One of my big questions is to get the 16" wheels or stay with 15". Not many cars offer a choice in steering racks! There's more choices in 15" rubber and you gotta love the 31' turning circle, but it's hard to deny the allure of 195/50's and I'm reluctantly used to the Maxima's 40' circle. If the 175/65's pull 0.83g, I wonder about the 195/50's..... I tend to take turns quickly. Imho, upgrading from the 15" wouldn't be ideal since a change in offset (to mitigate rubbing) would change the track and compromise aero efficiency. But then staying at 15's would have better mpg. Maybe only test drives will decide.
    Any thoughts, opinions, real world experiences? Has anyone installed a strut bar or sway bar yet?

I'm somewhat concerned about the reliability of the ICE - it seems to need to run high rpms frequently - high speed hwy, hills, "spirited driving". I know it's from the 2nd gen "liftback" and seems to be well-vetted but I'd hope to keep this car for 8+ years so the longevity of the much harder-worked 4cyl is my question.

Just found the "MotorTrend 2012 Toyota Prius C Takes on the High Sierras" article.
    Seems like the c might be really best suited for commute and city, not so much for longer trips...? I'm not comforted by the "visibly vibrating dashboard/display visor" comment. :( This "long term" road test wasn't wholly encouraging either: "Long term test: 2012 Toyota Prius c - Phoenix Auto Review | Examiner.com".
    Any (balanced) thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Any and all experiences are very welcome.

I understand the compromise this car is - I just want to be sure I'm happy with the decision if I get one.

Thanks,

Mike

2. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Mike, to be honest, I was in your shoes couple of months ago. My PC4 was the first hybrid I've ever had in my life. Before that I was a big fan of all this "rabbit" starts from the light etc. Driving a hybrid gave me this opportunity to see a different approach in driving. Now I realize that, at least with city driving, it doesn't matter how quick you will start from the intersection, all cars will be equally stopped at the next red light. Another factor which makes me smile all the time, is that my morning and evening commute on my PC is the same time wise compare to my old car; however, my mpg with PC is 62 in the mornings and 70-72 in the evenings for the same 15 miles and 33 minutes.
    As with any new thing you may find a lot of pros and cons. Yes, 1.5 ltr. 99 HP engine is not the one which is going to make your heart beats faster, but it does what it suppose to do. While merging the highways, you will not find a huge boost which you will probably get used to on 200+ - 300+ HP engines, but at the end you will reach your cruising speed anyway. While using cruise control on highways I can’t say that my engine is running high RPMs unless I am going uphill.
    I don’t have a strut bars on mine, but I do have 16” wheels and I am happy with them. I can’t complain on sharpness of my steering. I would say it’s something what you would expect. I can’t say that with my 16” rims I have a stiff suspension either.
    The best way to decide if this car is for you or not, is to take it for a test drive, but not the one which is couple miles long. Try to drive it for 30-40 miles in the conditions which are pretty close to your daily commute. I am sure that Toyota dealer will let you do it.
    The bottom line is, you will either like this car or you’ll hate it but I am sure you will not be neutral to this car.
    I hope, it will help you in your decision making, at least one way or another…