1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie questions about the c from a non-hybrid driver

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by mnaf, May 2, 2012.

1. mnaf

mnaf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I apologize in advance for the long-winded post...
    I'm looking for a more fuel efficient vehicle for commutes in order to save some money.
    To consider a Prius is a big step for me - I've been a life long rabid racing and performance car fan and would rather move way up (in HP and performance) from my 2000 Maxima 5spd, but I'm driving a lot of miles and just can't ignore the potential $$ gas savings. Going "back" to a compact car feels like taking a couple steps back (started with a Datsun 210....Tercel....). I have no hybrid experience except for driving (and kind of enjoying) a friend's 2007 Prius for 400 mi. a few years ago. But there's also something strangely very....."comforting".....in the thought of a 475+ mile cruising range in a vehicle with a 9.5 gal tank......

My driving is about 950hwy, 500city miles a month; hwy speed is 70-75mph, 72 a solid average. My intent is to drive the c the same way and as a "normal" car while maybe occasionally playing the mpg game for fun. But, really, hwy cruising w/ cruise control at 72 would be the norm for 52 mile commutes (AC on depending on season). (Does the engine continuously run high rpms to maintain these hwy speeds?)
    I just want to drive it quickly and get much better mpg than the 23/24 combined I'm currently getting (hopefully double it?).

I'm looking at a c 3/4 with moonroof - I'm also considering a used Prius "liftback" - prices are sort-of similar - but the c's handling appears better (and it'd be a brand new car). I'll admit - a big negative against the "liftback" is that they're just everywhere. I work near Palo Alto, CA, and I swear you can't throw a stick without hitting a Prius! And then it'll bounce off another Prius.

For the c I'd quickly upgrade with a front tower strut bar and a rear sway bar for handling but not mess with the aero or height - Toyota spent a lot of money designing the c for efficiency.

One of my big questions is to get the 16" wheels or stay with 15". Not many cars offer a choice in steering racks! There's more choices in 15" rubber and you gotta love the 31' turning circle, but it's hard to deny the allure of 195/50's and I'm reluctantly used to the Maxima's 40' circle. If the 175/65's pull 0.83g, I wonder about the 195/50's..... I tend to take turns quickly. Imho, upgrading from the 15" wouldn't be ideal since a change in offset (to mitigate rubbing) would change the track and compromise aero efficiency. But then staying at 15's would have better mpg. Maybe only test drives will decide.
    Any thoughts, opinions, real world experiences? Has anyone installed a strut bar or sway bar yet?

I'm somewhat concerned about the reliability of the ICE - it seems to need to run high rpms frequently - high speed hwy, hills, "spirited driving". I know it's from the 2nd gen "liftback" and seems to be well-vetted but I'd hope to keep this car for 8+ years so the longevity of the much harder-worked 4cyl is my question.

Just found the "MotorTrend 2012 Toyota Prius C Takes on the High Sierras" article.
    Seems like the c might be really best suited for commute and city, not so much for longer trips...? I'm not comforted by the "visibly vibrating dashboard/display visor" comment. :( This "long term" road test wasn't wholly encouraging either: "Long term test: 2012 Toyota Prius c - Phoenix Auto Review | Examiner.com".
    Any (balanced) thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Any and all experiences are very welcome.

I understand the compromise this car is - I just want to be sure I'm happy with the decision if I get one.

Thanks,

Mike

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    FWIW, I sold my 02 Nissan Maxima (255 hp 3.5L VQ engine but w/an automatic) right after I got my 06 Prius in January 06. (Your 00 Max was the same gen but w/the 3.0L engine w/less hp.) I was sad to see it go and at the time, I thought I could never own a car w/less than 200 hp. Now, I'm down to a single 110 hp car!

I can't speak for the Prius c as I've never driven one, but I wouldn't be concerned about cruising range. I don't care that much. I also wouldn't be concerned about engine longevity, at least in more well established Prius models. See Lifespan/Operating costs - Prius Wiki. 2 fas 4 u trade in his 09 Prius with 465K miles! The 04-09 Priuses use the 1.5L 1NZ-FXE engine. IIRC, the Priuses before it used it too.

In more well established Prius models, the engine is NOT the weak point of the car. There are other parts of the car that might have problems over the long term, but almost never the engine.

The Prius c uses it too but apparently, they supposedly redesigned 70% of it. See http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-c-technical-discussion/106170-1nz-fxe.html#post1511691 and Green Car Congress: Prius c hybrid goes on sale in US with entry MSRP of $18,950; new transaxle, motor technology.

You will likely get better highway mileage w/the liftback than the c, as reflected by EPA ratings. You might find http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...2010-prius-2zr-fxe-engine-efficiency-map.html interesting. The 3rd gen liftback, PiP and Prius v wagon all use the 1.8L 2ZR-FXE.

Although CR didn't give the 3rd gen liftback (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/02/the-most-fuel-efficient-cars/index.htm) better overall mileage than the 2nd gen (http://web.archive.org/web/20071228...-advice/most-fuelefficient-cars-206/index.htm), you can see the 3rd gen did better on the highway and the 150 mile trip. For comparison, when CR tested the 00 Maxima GXE, they gave it 21 mpg overall. I don't have their city, highway and 150 mile trip numbers.

BTW, the Prius c is much smaller than the liftback (which is classified as a midsized car, see Compare Cars Side-by-Side).

I don't know which trim of Max you have (like the SE) but I my 02 was a GXE and its ride was very smooth. Some reviews likened it to be "Lexus-like". My 2nd gen Prius has a much rougher ride than my Maxima (similar to a Corolla or other econoboxes) but nowhere near as rough as former 04 350Z. Assuming you have a non-SE Maxima, I'd guess the ride quality would go like this from harsh to smooth: Prius c, Prius liftback, Maxima.

I wouldn't be so concerned about mileage hit from bigger wheels. We should be measuring gallonage. See http://priuschat.com/forums/other-c...eage-no-its-your-gallonage-really-counts.html. Do some sample gallonage (delta or difference) calculations comparing going 100 miles for say 24 to 22 mpg vs. say 50 to 45 mpg to see what I mean. The 5 mpg drop in the latter case sounds huge, but it's not, in actuality.

3. formula

formula Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    welcome to Prius world.

I drive about the same miles as you. 1000 miles hwy and 500 city.

my PC gets about
    44 MPG on hwy 70-75 mph
    45-46 MPG on hwy 65-70 mph
    40 MPG on city 0-25mph (stop side on every block) lol
    51 MPG on city 20-40mph (light traffic with some stop light)
    56 MPG on city 0-45mph (smooth road)
    79 MPG on city 0-45mph (smooth and flat long road) the best record for now.
    99 MPG on city 0-40mph (smooth and flat long road, speed up to 40 mph and let go the gas panel, EV mode will come ON, ICE is off until the battery is low) lol tried it couple times on a 8 miles road.

I also live in Bay Area, gas is about $4.20. just do the math. I save at least $100 each month for gas.

reliability is good. gen I still on the road. lol

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. jmknoll

jmknoll Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You will want a Prius 3rd Gen for the Highway. Economy is the same or better. Also, if you really need that kick in the &^%^ off the line, you will want the power button in the 3rd Gen. I have one of each (a C and a 3rd Gen). The C is ideal for trips around town; it is ok on the highway but it is a short range cruiser.

6. mnaf

mnaf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for all the information and feedback. I appreciate it.

cwerdna - I've got the SE and I'm still in love after 12 years and 207k miles. I don't notice the suspension ride at all anymore - feels great but does need new front struts. Ironically, I "accidentally" installed some LRR Michelins (225/50-17) from Costco after using up Mich. Pilot Sports. I'd say the grip is 90% of the PS's and a true 5% mileage increase - lower rps at same speeds - and they were cheaper. Very impressive.
    Your 1.5 engine comments and data are reassuring.

Thanks formula - that's just the type of data I've been looking for regarding mpg performance at speed. Would like to have heard better than 44mpg @ 70-75 but I know I'm wanting to have my cake and eat it too. :)
    I should praise 44mpg - that gas math is exactly why I'm prioritizing a high mpg car; every trip to Concord and back costs me $23 in gas 7x a month = ouch (not counting commute or errands).

I just found cheap enough insurance to be able to keep the Maxima and a new car. So it seems I might be able to have the best of both worlds...
    I'm leaning a bit toward the c - partly due to being a new car vs a used (gen3), partly due to reports of better handling/braking/normal car feel, partly on the video game screen, I mean, MID, and partly due to being able to keep the Maxima.
    Still - Tough choice - that gen3 Prius has a proven track record.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think Prius c gas engine redlines at 5,000 RPM like Gen2. Do you consider that very high RPM?

The engine sounds more audible past 3,000 RPM but that's when the torque start to raise. On a flat surface and the speed you want to drive, it should stay around 1,500 RPM.

9. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I, too, am a h.p. fan. That's why I'm not getting rid of my Z28 and getting the C, too.

If you have a need for 1) an awesome gas pedal, and 2) higher mpgs, then you'll have a heck of a time getting both in the same car. A person's got to decide which they need more.

Prius' have a decent accelleration considering how good of mpgs they get. If I had a Mad Max-type commute you can bet I'd have a Mad Max-type vehicle. But if you can get away with a more conservative commuter vehicle, I'd get something like my C.

I think a lot of the jarring rides were had on overly inflated (more than 38psi) tires and the lower profile tires. Reasonable psis or normal tires would provide quite a resaonable ride quality.

If you would really like to have a car that is more at home on the open highway, has a better ride, and still get great mpgs then one of the larger Prius' would be your best bet.

Horsepower is hard to give up, but sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Reading the tone of the OP's piece?

And the fact that the post closes with "I understand the compromise this car is - I just want to be sure I'm happy with the decision if I get one."

I just have to really recommend NOT getting one.

With an admitted love of speed and horsepower, and already pre-purchase, defining the Prius c as a compromise, as well as saying it "feels like a step back"???

I can't in good concious recommend purchase. I think it sound like dissatisfaction just waiting to happen.

Infact, reading the OP's post, it seems about the only reason a Prius is being considered, is gas mileage.

The OP's only experience is "kinda" enjoying driving a friends.

Prius, or any vehicle, I think when you purchase it....you should love it, and be totally sold on owning it....and that clearly does not seem to be the case here.

It changes the equation, perhaps...if the OP keeps his old vehicle. But even the decision to keep the old vehicle, is symptomatic of the dsyfunction of the entire idea. If you're so unsure of your happiness with a Prius that you are hedging your bets by keeping a 2000 Maxima 5spd....which in your opening paragraph you admit that you'd rather be moving UP from in terms of HP and Performance, then without prejudice I don't see how long term satisfaction with the Prius will be possible.

I just foresee a period where the gas savings becomes less alluring, and the OP simply realizes this isn't the vehicle he wants to own.

Especially with a high degree of Highway driving, there are some ICE alternatives that I think might be a much better compromise. Maybe even a used Camry hybrid?

But in anycase, when the majority of the OP's original post seems to be outlining immediately what they would change about the vehicle, along with proclamations of enjoying a driving experience that the vehicle isn't really designed for?

As usual, it's the persons choice...but I don't see how this becomes a long term vehicle relationship.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm having trouble believing that OP is a serious potential buyer, but just in case:

OP, how many HP do you think you are using in your current car to travel at 75 mph ?

12. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The Prius C is only a car. A car, like any other car, that is a compromise between needs and desires. Fortunately, I can have my truck, my fast car, my fast motorcycle, and the daily driver for mpgs (the C). I've reached a point where compromises I made in my earlier years are able to be abandoned. Not everyone is there yet.

If a body wants mpgs, then there's lots worse than the Prius. If he absolutely can't get used to the lessened h.p., then so what? Drive it or sell it. Go on the next car and file it away as a lesson learned.

13. bgil

bgil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I agree with you.
    I have a tundra -17 mpg and a v6 rav 4 that gets around 25mpg...
    We use the c for our buzzing around car and the other 2 for longer drives. Everything is a compromise, but I do love the amazing mileage.