1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie questions on headlights and XM

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by CEguru, Oct 26, 2006.

1. CEguru

CEguru New Member

Hi gang,

I'm a newbie. Just purchased last night. 2007 Pkg 5 in Barcelona Red. Got it for $1,600 off MSRP without any haggling. I was suprised how easy it was. Anyway, first question: the Prius doesn't have the auto on/off headlights like I'm used to, but it does have auto off lights. Wondering if I can just always leave them set to ON and let it turn itself off when the car is shut off. Does anyone else do this? Any downside? Second question: is there any real difference between the XM radio you'd buy from the Toyota part department and one of the units from, say, FactoryInteractive?

Thanks in advance.

J

2. chimohio

chimohio New Member

From what I remember the manual says you can leave the lights in the ON position and they will turn on and off with the car. They also say that you shouldn't leave it like that without running the car for a week as it does something to the battery.
    Can't answer about XM as I don't have it.

3. mootsman

mootsman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CEguru @ Oct 26 2006, 05:43 PM) [snapback]338879[/snapback]</div>
    They are all Toyota units if they are to work with the MFD. I bought mine from our Toyota dealer at the same price as the aftermarket guys....and then paid a local installer $45 for the installation. Total cost was around $340 if memory serves.

4. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CEguru @ Oct 26 2006, 05:43 PM) [snapback]338879[/snapback]</div>
    I suppose another downside would be burning out your bulbs sooner and wasting power running headlights during the day when you don't need them ... not sure why you'd want to do that.

Also, if you open the door before turning off the car (with the lights on) the lights will not go off.

I prefer to try to remember to turn them off.

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    as PA said, the lights will only turn off if they're on, and then you first turn off the car and then open the drivers door. If you turn the lights on after turning the car off or open the door before turning the car off the lights will stay on.

6. dvdirv

dvdirv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Toyota XM units have a 16-character display on the screen, although some aftermarket ones, only have a 10-character display.

I'm not sure if this applies to the Factory Interactive one, though.

7. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 27 2006, 09:35 AM) [snapback]339213[/snapback]</div>
    And they will stay on if you don't open the driver's door. For instance, let's say you get in on the passenger side to check the NAV, odometer, or whatever, turn on the car, turn it off, and then leave through the passenger door. The lights will not turn off.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Leaving the lights on will cause the MFD to display in night mode. You can overcome this by either of two ways: 1) rolling the interior light dimmer control all the way up until it clicks; or 2) changing to day mode under the MFD display options. Either way you are going to want to reverse the action at night, so that the screen goes back to night mode.

As pointed out elsewhere, there are ways to leave the lights on unintentionally, so be careful to avoid those traps.

As for XM radio, only the Toyota unit works with the MFD; anything else you don't get the benefit of the steering wheel buttons and MFD controls.

Tom