1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie - ride seems bumpy, breaking in?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by wxguy, Sep 22, 2008.

1. wxguy

wxguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hello,
    I just bought a brand new 2009 Prius with package #5 and have just a little over 150 miles on it. It seems to me that the ride is a little bumpy even on smooth surface roads. I don't recall this when test-driving one.

Is it still breaking in or perhaps I'm not driving the "right way"? I used to drive a small SUV.....don't know if that has anything to do with it. Should I bring it back to the dealership to check it out? Thanks for your input!

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hmmm....I just drove my Ford Explorer to the store and back yesterday evening and I was amazed at how much worse it rides than the Prius does. Our best riding car is my GF's Avalon, then the Prius, then the Explorer, then my GF's 30ft motorhome, LOL.

Maybe tire noise is part of it? The Goodyear Integrity(s) are known for being kind of noisy and just crappy tires in general.

3. debos

debos New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    my rides still bumpy 8000 miles in. oh well

4. wxguy

wxguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    After looking through the forums a bit, seems like it could be the tire pressure?

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The ride is kinda hard, but higher tire pressures allow better fuel economy. Try it for a while and see whether you get used to it. If not, experiment with different pressures: you can try anything as low as the pressure given in the Owner's Manual, and as high as the pressure shown on the sidewall of the tire (44 PSI for the original tires). Note that tire pressures must be measured "cold", which means that the tire should not have been driven more than one mile in the preceding hour (spending $7 for a digital tire gauge at Target or Amazon so you can check them at home makes this much easier).