1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie Saying Hi

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by swPrius2002, Dec 3, 2013.

1. swPrius2002

swPrius2002 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello. I just joined this forum so that I can follow along:)
    I have a 2002 Prius that I bought from the first owner when it was 5 years old and it had about 17,000 miles on it.
    I now have 76,000 miles on it and lately, every few weeks at first-- now it's every few days-- all the warning lights are lit up! When it first started happening, I checked the gas cap, unscrew it and make sure it makes the "ratcheting" sound. I drive around town a few days with the warnings lit up and it drives ok. A few days later all the lights go off. I figured it was a vacuum or something simple. I read where moisture can get in the back through the vent and can cause all the lights. I read where an overfilled oil change could cause it (and recently had an oil change done as well.) All those warning lights and you'd think I immediately drive to the Toyota dealer. I'm ashamed of myself.
    It does seem to happen after heavy rains and wind, or when the outside temps drop suddenly (it was in the low 20's the other day when the lights came on!)
    I know I should take it to a dealer (nearest one is about 35 miles from here) but I'm afraid they'll tell me it's a $4,000 problem or some such awful thing and want to keep it for days on end to "fix" it :(

2. vaughnstark777

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Go to an autoparts store that will hook up an OBD2 scanner to it an see what trouble codes show up then go from there. If your not familiar with what I'm talking about then you need to take it to a qualified repair shop.

SCH-I605 ?

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard!

4. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like you have a great car with a few codes. Take it to Autozone as they will go out to your car and check the codes and tell you what they are in a print out for FREE. This will give you somewhere to start in getting it taken care of.
    Welcome!
    TomK

5. yotatoter

yotatoter Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Welcome!!!you will find lots of great folks and advice here!! Agree with the above posts, get the codes and post them here and somebody will help you!!

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings and welcome!
    Good Luck!