1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie seeks assistance in a bit of foolishness.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DaveOrgans, Jul 10, 2006.

1. DaveOrgans

DaveOrgans New Member

Dear Friends,

Within the week, I will be taking delivery of my bouncing baby Prius; Barcelona Red, No. 8. Like all expectant fathers, I have paced the waiting room floor for months. I've bought the little chocolate cigars that say "It's a Hybid!" to pass out to unsuspecting strangers and I've decorated the nursery with new toys and accessories. I'm even buying baby a new set of shoes!

But I believe that anything with as much personality as a Prius deserves a name - an appellation which, haiku-like, captures in a few syllables the core essense of its being. It is to this end that I ask your assistance; in naming my baby. To paraphrase T.S. Elliot, "The Naming of Prii is a difficult matter." The name should be witty. Bad puns accepted graciously, witty puns devoured gratefully. Please include an explanation of your name. If your name is chosen you will recieve my undying gratitude and the position of godparent to the new baby.

To prime the pump, I have included a few I have come up with...

For example:

-- "The Hummingbird" - it's small, it's agile, it hums while it works, it goes backwards without changing gears and it sips its nectar.

OR

- "The Scarlet Pump-A-Nickle" - The foppish car that is secretly defending the American way of driving, while simultaneously describing what I expect to be doing at the gas station. "They seek him here! They seek him there!..."

OR

- "The MacIntosh" = - Red like the apple, Thrifty like the Scotsman. Smug like the computer.

OR

- "The Beefsteak" - After all its a tomato red hybrid.

OR

Reflecting its origin and the amount of propaganda I will be spewing about it. - "Tokyo Roads" (for you youngsters that don't remember, do a Google search on "Tokyo Rose".)

OR

- "Little Red Riding Good" - Gr'Hummer what big TANKS you have!" "All the better to guzzle with my dear"...

OR

- "The Ruby Sipper" - Saving the 'OZ'one layer.

Well, you get the idea (if you haven't become nauseous already (;-))

Thanks in advance,
    Dave Hawkins

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Personally, I'm opposed to any names that start with "The". If you're going to name it, give it a proper name.

Personally, I named mine Priapus. (Those not familiar with Greek mythology, go to Google Images and search for "Priapus.") Like you said, the name should capture an "essence" for the car: it's very being. In naming him (yes, him) Priapus, I spat in the face of all those who buy flashy, showy, loud, bright, fast, and/or large cars as an extension of or replacement for their penis. After all, Priapus has nothing to hide and nothing to compensate for.

When my wife and I are deciding which car to drive, we call him by name.

I'm afraid that I can't come up with a good name right here on the spot. I'll try to give it some thought. If you like "Tokyo Rose" then perhaps "Rose" would be good: red color, gentle supple woman, feminine NAV voice. I think it fits.

3. Priapus

Priapus Alter Ego

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 10 2006, 05:17 PM) [snapback]284101[/snapback]</div>
    Are you talking about me again?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 10 2006, 05:17 PM) [snapback]284101[/snapback]</div>
    Why, thank you. [​IMG]

4. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Priapus @ Jul 10 2006, 05:19 PM) [snapback]284103[/snapback]</div>
    What are you doing? Get off the computer and get back out in the garage!

5. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I can't come up with a name for you but I can recommend you make a baby mobile and hang it in the garage. Oh, and make plenty of Hot Water.

6. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm unable to come up with any suggestions for the name of your new arrival, but I named mine Max. Short for Prius Maximus. My boss and I are big fans of Gladiator and for fun I call him Prius Maximus Decimus Meridius. I thought it was a creative name until I did a search on PC and came up with another PC user whose username is Prius Maximus. Ah, well. I'll still call him Max.

7. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Ok, now some of these may be a strech:

Hyb-"red"

Chris (short for "Christine" the killer car, because your car helps to kill those big oil company profits!)

Red Alert

RPC (red Prius car)

OLE' (for what they yell out at the bullfights when the bull goes by the red cape)

On a side note:

Hey, when looking on the internet I came upon this site...kinda funny!

Red cars

8. Aussie56

Aussie56 New Member

If you're thinking classical with Priapus, and want a name that's less thallic, how about Priam (King of Troy).

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David H. Hawkins @ Jul 10 2006, 10:33 AM) [snapback]283919[/snapback]</div>
    You found it yourself. Being as it's red, "Scarlet Pumpanickle" is perfect. Normally I'd agree with Tony that "The" is a bad idea. But since the namesake had "The" I think it's okay. And you could just call it "Scarlet" for short.

10. DaveOrgans

DaveOrgans New Member

Thanks all, I just thought I'd have a bit of fun. Now for the Prius Haiku contest...

11. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No name for my car;
    It is unlike all others;
    It does not need one.

12. DaveOrgans

DaveOrgans New Member

Haikus anyone...

Others stare in awe,
    As I pass the gas station.
    Be smug, do not gloat.

I ride on cats paws.
    They don't hear as I approach!
    BEEP! Gets dirty looks.

All around are stopped!
    Silent in the traffic jam,
    I hear the Mozart.

13. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Zippity do da
    It zipps along and it is a do da. Besides the kids can shorten the name if they so desire.

14. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jul 10 2006, 05:33 PM) [snapback]284154[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, and then you can tell people, when they start giving you grief about how "it'll never pay for itself," you can just say, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." Oh wait. Then you'd have to be calling it Rhett...but that sounds kinda like "Red" anyway, so it could work...

Then again, who am I to try and help here...Mine is called Bruce--and no, he's not a poofter--he's named after the shark in Jaws 'cause of the way he sneaks up on <strike>victims</strike> people. And I am STILL waiting for someone to tell me how to hack the horn so it plays the shark music!
    <div align="center">[​IMG]</div>

15. SAPrius

SAPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Tony, you may have Priapus, but based on Mr. Hawkins avatar, he appears to have the bigger organ!

As the gentleman is from Boston, perhaps he could name his Prius "Mass Transit." :lol:

16. sgails

sgails sgails

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David H. Hawkins @ Jul 10 2006, 01:33 PM) [snapback]283919[/snapback]</div>

At the risk of sounding stupid why not Ruby---- for gem of a car or gassy gus!! Sorry not very good at names lol

17. DaveOrgans

DaveOrgans New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SAPrius @ Jul 12 2006, 08:50 AM) [snapback]284891[/snapback]</div>
    Nah, I don't want the roof to fall in!

I'm sorry folks, I just have to get it out of my system... More Haikus...

Form follows function.
    A Prius as work of art,
    moves me to desire.

My constant craving
    to drive my fine new Prius!
    Is this happiness?

Prius leaping forth!
    Tho I am earthbound in fact,
    in my heart, I soar!

My old gas station
    now so long unvisited,
    I am a stranger.

... and Limericks...

A new Prius owner named Dave,
    went balmy trying to save
    one more M. P. G.
    "I'll do it!", cried he!
    Till his girl said "Shut up and behave!"

Once, in a nightmare last summer,
    I dreamt I was driving a Hummer.
    In the dream I could sense
    my mind getting dense,
    thus proving those cars make you dumber!

...SLAP!!... Thanks, I needed that!
    Dave H.

18. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What have we here, laddie? Mysterious scribblings? A secret code? No! Poems, no less! Poems, everybody! The laddie reckons himself a poet!

19. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How about a combination of Prius and red: 'Predius'. Or maybe 'Predius Barcelonas' to distinguish it from its cousin 'Prediusalsa'. I kinda like 'hybred', too, partly because it would make a good licence plate.

And if you're gonna dream about hummers, you shouldn't be thinking about driving. Unless of course, you happen to be a pro athlete. :D

20. DaveOrgans

DaveOrgans New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 12 2006, 05:57 PM) [snapback]285222[/snapback]</div>
    Tony! Help! Help! Is there any cure? (By the way, I'm not a laddie, I'm and old fart!)

Dave H.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jul 12 2006, 05:57 PM) [snapback]285224[/snapback]</div>
    That was last summer. Didn't you read? One nightmare was enough, I ordered a Prius.