1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie sound system questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by 356driver, Apr 17, 2006.

1. 356driver

356driver New Member

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking the forum and I'm impressed with the helpfulness and level of knowledge here. I hope you can help me get things sorted out. I want to do a mild upgrade on the sound system of my Prius. I do not want to add amplifiers or change out the head unit. My car is an 2006 with Package #8 (JBL Premium/Navigation).

I have searched the forum and I *think* I understand that the JBL head unit has its own built-in crossovers. It therefore seems that substituting component speakers in the doors is not a straightforward process. One would suppose the built-in JBL crossovers and OEM speakers are tuned to one another, and it might be difficult to find aftermarket speakers to match the JBL crossovers closely enough to produce better results. This is based on the observation that most aftermarket component speakers have their own crossovers tuned to the speaker set.

This concern was also vocalized by the owner of a local mobile electronics shop. The owner had no reason to lie because he was in effect turning away my business. But I also wanted to poll this group. Has anyone done a speaker swap on the JBL unit with good results (without an amp)?

I will probably get a small powered subwoofer (Kenwood KSC-SW1) and bury it in the secret compartment. Unless I get a specific suggestion on door speakers, backed up by actual experience, it may stop there.

Any opinions on this? Thanks in advance.

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited