1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie with a broken driver-side mirror

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by unknownone, Jul 17, 2007.

1. unknownone

unknownone Junior Member

Hi all,

My 3 week old 2007 Silver Prius got vandalized Friday night. Someone took a broomstick and whacked the heck out of the driver side mirror. I was going to report it to the cops but all it would have done was raised my insurance rate being that my deductible was $1000 and the cost for the mirror was around $400. Should I have reported it anyway or just let it ride?

So I went to the Toyoda service department to get it fixed on Monday. (this is the first time I been to a Toyoda service depart, usually I get my car serviced at a local garage) I drove into the service place and had the guy look at the mirror and he told me to go order the part and pay for it, a mirror assy, driver side on a 2007 Prius cost $287.99. It would have cost me another $90 if I couldn't reuse the silver cover. My question is; is that normal procedure at Toyoda service department? You need to order all the parts from the parts department before they can service your car? I was lucky that I knew what parts were needed being an avid reader of this forum but if I had to know every parts to order before getting car serviced I may as well just do it all myself. So is that how Toyoda service departments work?

Well I got it fixed, it cost me another $96.00 to get it installed. but they couldn't take out the scratches on the paint or the windows.

Does anyone know a good place in NYC to get a couple scratches on the driver door out. Also I have few scratches on windshield, I want removed too, I hope I don;t have to replace the windshield too. I heard they are very costly. If it was my old car, I wouldn't bother but it's my 3 week old 2007 Prius that I wash and wax almost every other day.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    1) Letting it ride is what I would do. I went through the same thing with a broken rear window. After a lot of calls, questions, etc. you have used up a lot of your time and got basically nothing for it.

2) Each dealer can set up how they do business. Toyota dealers vary greatly. You can also go to any dealer you want at any time so go to who you like best. Dealers that make their customers do the parts run-around (like you were forced to do) is a loud cry for you to take your business elsewhere. Heck, with a digital camera and some patience, you can do it yourself with a little support from cyberspace.

3) It just flat sounds like the dealer is crappy. After paying money to have your mirror replaced, they did nothing to take out the scratches....or inform you that you can get touchup paint...or recommend a good shop...etc.

4) Front windshield damage is required to be covered by insurance if visability is affected. Not true for other windows. Double check on this since I am not an insurance expert (but have had windows damaged and that was the law at the time.)

3. telstar

telstar New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unknownone @ Jul 17 2007, 08:21 PM) [snapback]480620[/snapback]</div>

Yes, you should report any losses to the police - even if they just take the information over the phone. When they're done get the case # and keep it in your records. That way if you have to turn it in to your insurance carrier later (say you end up having to replace the WS) the report's already made (many policies require a police report be made for theft or vandalism claims). Besides the insurance angle, if you have further vandalism problems :eek: then you're on record (maybe several times) and that can help motivate the police to finally get around to helping you by catching the culprits.

Ray

4. ohershey

ohershey New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(telstar @ Jul 26 2007, 01:41 PM) [snapback]485663[/snapback]</div>
    I agree - you don't need to spend a lot of time on it - just file a report. Set up a paper trail and a history - then you are protected down the line.

Another possible source of Prius parts is Steve at Autobeyours - he seems to be the not quite official Prius salvage yard.