1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie with potential HID issue?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PriusGuy32, Sep 17, 2012.

1. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ive read about the HID headlights being problematic. My service history with Toyota showed some kind of recall campaign or TSB that addressed the HID's on the Prius I just bought.

Tonight I was driving and noticed a flicker out of my field of vision. It seemed like a light burnt out. I stopped and sure enough, my driver side headlight was out!

I went into the car and turned the headlights off. Then back on. It was still out. Cycled the headlights again and the drivers side light came back on and stayed on like normal.

Whats going on? Bad bulb? Bad ballast? Somethings gotta be on its way out....

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Toyota Prius Class Action Lawsuit | Toyota Headlight Lawsuit | Girard Gibbs LLP - If you're still under the extended warranty, get it fixed NOW, while you're still covered.

If not, replace the bulbs with Philips D4R Xenon HID Headlight Bulb,Pack of 1 : Amazon.com : Automotive. Hopefully the ones sold directly by Amazon (not 3rd party sellers there) are genuine. See Not all HID Bulbs are created equal | PriusChat. I bought my replacement Philips D4R directly from Amazon.

Can you update your location field?

3. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Location field = fixed :)

Im going to dig out the letter the previous owner gave me "right now". So its most likely the bulbs causing the outage and not the controller/ballast?

4. Joshua

Joshua Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do all prii come with HIDs? Does my 12?