1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

newbie with questions about anti-theft sytem and price

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by shayndel, Mar 28, 2007.

1. shayndel

shayndel New Member

Hello folks,

I am new here, about to buy a 20007 Prius, package 2 in San Francisco (maybe as soon as tomorrow!), and have a couple of questions.

Regarding the alarm system: If all the cars come with the engine immobilizer, then is it correct that the only thing the anti theft system adds is the alarm?

Does the glass breakage sensory need an alarm to be able to be installed? If so, couldn't one get a cheaper alarm than the Toyota factory one (my dealer said he would install the Toyota Anti theft system with alarm for $395.) and then get the glass breakage system? Is that reasonable? (glass breakage system would be extra).

Previously, many cars with radios came with removable face plates so the radio couldn't be stolen. How is the audio system protected in the Prius?

Thanks!

I got a quote of $22,530 before T&L. Is that a good deal? I know that the tax rebate ends on March 31, so it is possible that dealers are not going down as much as they were in the past few months, because people are scrambling to get the car before Saturday (like me!).

2. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Do a search on glass break and read some of the prior posts. Here's one to get you started:
    glass break
    The alarm is already there and just needs to be activated, the glass break sensor needs the alarm activated to work.

As far as I know, there are no special safeguards for the radio system. It has some unique features, is integrated with the MFD and I haven't seen many (any?) reports of thefts.

There are also recent posts regarding prices. Seems most folks are still getting close to invoice. Check KBB.com or Edmunds.com for invoice numbers.

3. vududude

vududude New Member

I'm not sure about the alarm system question but...

I am also a new own of a Prius (well soon to be, car is sitting at the port).

My quoted price was 21888 + Fees at Toyota Vallejo for a package #2 Prius.

It's a bit of a drive for me (San JOse to Vallejo), but if your in SF it isn't too far.

the person that quoted me the price via email was Matthew Dill [email protected].
    (707) 310-3527

Overall it was a pretty hassle-free experience, especially for someone who just bought their first car.

From what I can tell from Edmunds etc. 21888 is below invoice for a package #2, and especially with the tax credit still in effect till this weekend.

By the way, i'm in no way affiliated with toyota vallejo...i researched a couple of dealers via the internet and they quoted me the lowest price. Hope you can get a similar deal.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The radio sits behind the dash so only the buttons come through the pre-cut holes. i.e. unlike other radios that can be accessed from the "front" (i.e. from the cabin) and yanked out, with the Prius, you probably have to take apart the dash and remove it from "behind"

Also, it's integrated into the MFD so it's not like it'll work on any other car.