1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie with questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by coolgranny, Mar 17, 2007.

1. coolgranny

coolgranny New Member

Help!
    I have had my 2007 Prius for 3 days now, and discovered that my salesman knew very little about operating all of the car's functions. I have had a lot of questions answered by the manual, but I am confused by the parking brake, which is mentioned several times in the manual. I was only told about the Park buttn
    on the dash. When and why do you use the parking brake, except if you arfe parked on a hill? Also when do you use neutral?

He also never told me about disabling the smart key and using the hidden key. I assume this should be used when valet parking. I was concerned about that.

coolgranny

2. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(coolgranny @ Mar 17 2007, 10:07 AM) [snapback]407414[/snapback]</div>
    ;) Welcome CG, I hope you enjoy this site and your car. For me, I always use the parking brake even though I live in flat land. The Parking brake is a foot operated pedal on the left side of the driver's foot well. Step on it once to engage the brake and once again to release. Once it becomes a habit, you won't have to remember to use it on a hill.

Lee B)

3. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(coolgranny @ Mar 17 2007, 12:07 PM) [snapback]407414[/snapback]</div>
    I don't use neutral much at all. I use the parking brake when I am parked, mainly out of habit from driving an old car that tended to not go into Park too well. It probably doesn't make that much difference, but my theory in using it is that if it is needed in an emergency, then the cable hasn't siezed from disuse etc. if I use it routinely.

The hidden key? I thought that was for when the fob battery died. The key just unlocks the door, it won't start the car unless you have the fob. If the fob battery is dead, you plug into the slot to start the car.

4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(coolgranny @ Mar 17 2007, 12:07 PM) [snapback]407414[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with the previous two posters: I use the parking brake all the time, just so I'm used to it and I have never used neutral. Moreover, I don't foresee a time when I would want/need to use neutral.

As far as the smart key, there is a button underneath the steering wheel for disabling it. Many people disable it if they are going to be away on a trip for a long time (say "2 weeks or longer" to be safe) and don't want the smart key active (since it is a small drain on the 12V battery). I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "hidden key," but I think that you mean the metal key hidden in the fob. The only time you should ever need to use this key is if the 12V battery dies and you want to get into the car. In this case, you can use it in the keyhole in the driver's side door.

Some people (myself included) think it's a good idea to disable the Smart Key System if you are giving the car to a valet. This is not for any security reason, but just that if you leave the SKS on, it's possible for the valet to walk away from the car with your keyfob with the car still running. However, if the valet has to turn the car off to remove the fob from the slot (which happens if SKS is off), he's much less likely to leave the car running, since he wouldn't be able to take out the fob.

5. redrockprius

redrockprius redrockprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(coolgranny @ Mar 17 2007, 11:07 AM) [snapback]407414[/snapback]</div>
    I think your other questions have been answered except for using neutral. The only time I have found this necessary is when using an "automatic" car wash. By the way, if you happen to use one where an attendant drives the car, beware that most of them have no idea how to drive a Prius and, especially, how to get it into neutral.

6. coolgranny

coolgranny New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedRockPrius @ Mar 17 2007, 12:38 PM) [snapback]407434[/snapback]</div>

Thanks for straightening me out on the parking brake and neutral. Never thought about the car wash.
    I don't get how or why the dead fob is needed when starting with the metal key.
    About the battery- The manual shows tiny screws in the fob to open it to replace the battery, but I don't see any such screws.

7. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Howdy granny... and another HEARTY WELCOME to PriusChat - a fabulous source for practial information regarding your Prius.

Although your Owner's Manual is not wonderfully organized, and definitely not easy reading, I do recommend you take the time to read it. I have made it a habit in both my 2004 Prius {Now traded in} and my 2007 Touring Edition to both highlight interesting information and make my own "Index" on a blank page in the back for things I may want to re-access later on, even those I may want to share with fellow PriusChat-ers. There's a lot of useful, informative information in the Owner's Manual.

On the other hand, there is much helpful information not found in the Manual and which PriusChat forums can provide useful, practical information. Don't be shy about asking. Remember, there are no "dumb" questions, just sometimes "dumb answers." Try SEARCH, you will find that a lot of questions have been addressed over and over agin in PriusChat.

ENJOY YOUR PRIUS

8. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(coolgranny @ Mar 17 2007, 12:58 PM) [snapback]407441[/snapback]</div>
    The metal key only works the door locks. There's no keyhole on the steering column like a regular car, just a slot in the dash to plug in the fob. So when the fob battery dies, you'd need the metal key to unlock the car door to get in, and then plug in the fob on the dash to start the car. Oh, and welcome to Priuschat!

9. JHSmith

JHSmith 2020 Avalon Hybrid Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All of the responses here have been excellent. I would like to add one other input:

Concerning NEUTRAL:

Unless Prius is different from the Camry Hybrid: When you're in Neutral, the battery is not recharged. No problem while going through a car wash, but "idling" in NEUTRAL while waiting for someone or something could run your traction battery down (especially if your A/C, heater, etc are on.).

10. redrockprius

redrockprius redrockprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(coolgranny @ Mar 17 2007, 11:58 AM) [snapback]407441[/snapback]</div>
    You can't start with the metal key. The only function of the metal key is to allow you to unlock the driver side door and get into the car.

To access the screws in the fob, you have to follow this procedure:
    1. Slide the spring-loaded button on the fob against the spring and hold it in this position
    2. Remove the metal key by pulling it out of its slot in the fob
    3. With the spring-loaded button in the position in step one, use your thumb to push the portion of the fob that contains that button away from the rest of the fob. You will then see the four screws. Sort of like a Chinese puzzle box.

11. coolgranny

coolgranny New Member

Thanks Red Rock and everyone else who answered and welcomed me.
    The response time is quicker than the mac groups and anwers just as helpful.
    I think I will stay away from valet parking and wash the car myself-at least for the summer.

12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(coolgranny @ Mar 17 2007, 03:56 PM) [snapback]407532[/snapback]</div>
    IMO stay away from automatic car washes as they can cause swirlies in the paint.

13. razzledazzlebee

razzledazzlebee New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just went through an automatic car wash yesterday, and had no problems with neutral (I was in the car). ;) To put the car in Neutral, just hold it in the neutral position for a second or so and it'll engage. They tried to tell me to turn the car off, but it goes automatically into the Park position when it's off, so I just had it in neutral with the power on. No problems whatsoever.

Hope this helps. :)

14. coolgranny

coolgranny New Member

Interesting. I'm not brave enough yet.