1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie XM Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by KRedmond, Sep 18, 2006.

1. KRedmond

KRedmond New Member

I've had my prius for two weeks now. It's great!!. The radio is supposedly XM ready, but I'm not sure what that means. I have an XM account already with the Garmin GPS navigator for the other car so I wanted to add the prius. The guys at the Toyota dealership say it will cost me $500 to get everything hooked up ( I guess there's some module that has to be plugged into the back of the radio), get the anntenna and pay for labor.

Is that typical? If so, I don't need XM that bad.

Thanks

Kit R

2. AndyU

AndyU Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KRed @ Sep 18 2006, 09:40 AM) [snapback]321117[/snapback]</div>
    If you're not afraid to "do it yourself" you might want to check these guys out:
    http://www.coastaletech.com/xm_radio_in_prius.htm

I have no experience with them, but it caught my eye when I was looking for XM options for our 2006 prius.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  4. glenhead

glenhead New Member

If you don't insist on its being installed and displaying on the MFD, you can get a Roady (I have the Roady2) and run it into the auxiliary jack in the center console. Works great, and you can get a new one for less than $50 including shipping from eBay.

5. Metro

Metro Your OEM Q & A Resource

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KRed @ Sep 18 2006, 10:40 AM) [snapback]321117[/snapback]</div>
    I also sell integrated XM radio for the Prius. It would be the factory kit, same as your dealership quoted you, for $250.00 plus shipping. It comes with a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty that is good at any Toyota dealership nationwide. Factory instructions can be printed and sent with the kit or sent as a pdf in an email. I also offer a promotion code for waived activation and the first three months service free. That equals about $45.00 worth of service for free. Since you are already a subscriber then you will have to check with XM to see if they will still honor it. I am a Toyota dealer and everything that I sell is brand new. I also can tell you if you do not like the price that your dealer quotes you for installation there are quite a few private installers out there who do a fantastic job and do not charge near what a dealer does for install. Just shop and ask around and you will see some pretty drastic price differences. You can come in way under $500.00 with just a little bit of extra work. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

6. KRedmond

KRedmond New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Metro @ Sep 18 2006, 03:02 PM) [snapback]321254[/snapback]</div>

Thanks, I may take you up on that. Let me check around and find out what my better half wants to do.

Kit R :D

7. funfinn

funfinn Junior Member

I ordered the XM unit from Metro and it installed quite easily with the provided instructions. I have a previous radio from XM and had to talk to a representative to get the $44.92 value credited to my account. They did a good job of customer service but it did take osme talking.

8. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Also check out the Vais Tech SLX. See this thread for more.