1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bat4255, Nov 8, 2007.

1. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hi there,

I just signed up, and have a few questions. I could not find the specific answers, so I hope I'm not repeating a previous post.

I am considering purchasing a Prius for my wife. She is a rural mail carrier, and I was thinking this would be a choice, here is the thing. Normally, any mail car is a P.O.S., because of the abuse, and hard life it has. Brakes and transmissions, need frequent preventive maintaince, or you will pay big time later. I'm almost afraid to get a good car for this job, I would feel sorry for it, for life would be hard, especially in winter :(

90% is stop and go driving, 27 miles, with 380 stops a day, 6 days a week. Any normal car, will get 1/2 of the normal mileage. A 30 mpg Buick, gets 15 on the route.

My thinking is, mileage is better on the Prius, with stop and go driving, due to the batteries being recharged on deceleration (is this correct?). Initially, it seems like the perfect vehicle, IF the following questions are positive.

So here are the questions

1- Is a bench, or split bench seat available for the front? right hand drive is not desired, but the driver will need to be sitting in the passenger area.

2- Will the braking be able to handle it ? Will the battery recharge during deceleration, increase the brake pad life?
    In a standard car, with heavy duty brake rotors, I replace pads twice a year, about every 6,000 miles.

3- How is it in the snow, and are there ground clearance issues?

4-Would the drive train be durable enough for this use?

5-Life span of the batteries?

Thanks in advance for any advise you may have

Jim

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Prius is perfect for this sort of stop and go driving. The transmission and brakes will last much, much longer than an ordinary car under similar circumstances. The Prius is not available with a front bench seat, but its controls are easy to use and should work for a postal person. Battery life in taxi use has been more than 200,000 miles. Ground clearance is similar to most front-wheel-drive autos, maybe a bit better than some, however it's not a truck or SUV. We have had good luck with ours in snow, although we traded the OEM tires for better all-season tires.

Tom

3. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jim O @ Nov 8 2007, 06:58 PM) [snapback]536954[/snapback]</div>
    1. Not that I know of, unless somebody has done something aftermarket.

2. Yes and yes.

3. Yes. the car sits rather low, and will probably not do well in deep snow.

4. Absolutely.

5. 100K warranty. Taxi fleets (also plenty of abuse) are past 200K with no problems. The present known record is 322K.

Except for 1 and 3, this would be an ideal vehicle.

4. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jim O @ Nov 8 2007, 06:58 PM) [snapback]536954[/snapback]</div>
    1. Bench not available. right hand drive is sold in other countries.
    2. Breaking will not only be able to handle it, they will perform better, and last longer than in a regular vehicle due to the regenerative breaking.
    3. Not bad in the snow, I have replaced the original tires with the Michelin Hydroedge tires which are better tires.
    4. Drive train would not only last, it has proven itself to go well over 250,000 miles in taxi cabs......

Prius would be good for what you need it for i think. Even if it gets bad mileage, you should be getting well over 30, 35 or 40 or so probably. Its also a very safe car. if you have worries, buy a used one. Even one or two years old should give you years of service, assuming no prior damage.

Good luck, and if you do get one, let us know and we can all help answer questions, and help with mileage and maintenance issues. B)

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jim O @ Nov 8 2007, 03:58 PM) [snapback]536954[/snapback]</div>
    I believe someone here actually uses the Prius as a "mailvan". I don't recall the person but it was a white Prius lol.

Anyway, here are my answers

1. no BUT the way the centre console and dashboard have been designed, moving from left to right (or vice versa) is pretty easy. I've actually "stood up" and "walked" out the passenger side door before thanks to the low console box and empty area below the dashboard to squeeze my legs through

2. Yep. Recharge happens as long as you don't brake too hard. Also if you drain the battery by travelling in EV mode (and it will happen during summer unless you intentionally accelerate a bit harder to get the engine on), then your mileage will drop. It'll still be better than 15mpg (or 30 for that matter) but not as good as it could be

3. Slap on some winter tyres. The stock Goodyear Integritys are crappy in the snow. The ground clearance is a bit low so perhaps a taller tyre might help

4. Yep it'll take it. There are TONS of Prius cabs here. In fact, it's either a Prius or a Corolla in my city lol. Other models are harder to find. I haven't seen a Crown Vic cab in ages

5. The life of the car. Our cabbies do up to 100,000 miles a year. Some of them are already approaching 350,000 miles. (Some have exceeded that but that's a small handful since those will be earlier cars before the mass adoption of the Prius as a taxi around 2005/2006)

6. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you move the front passengers seat fully forward and remove the head rest, you can lay the the back of the seat down so that it is flat. However, there is no way you can drive the Prius from the passengers side.

7. bat4255

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the feedback.

It looks like the determining factor will be the seating. Maybe if the center console was removed, or somehow modified. It looks like we will be checking one out soon. The Prius otherwise is a very logical vehicle, espically for this use.

Jim

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jim O @ Nov 8 2007, 05:14 PM) [snapback]537002[/snapback]</div>
    Someone has removed the centre console and moved it back 2 inches. Perhaps you can try that same modification?

9. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One worry I would have would be ground clearance ... sometimes that's an issue on rural roads with a lot of gravel on them. Also, if the roads are muddy that's sometimes not the best for the Hybrid Synergy Drive system. Again, I am saying this w/o knowing the exact driving conditions she'd face.

Overall it would be good otherwise b/c of the long brake life and the type of driving she'd be doing.

10. davidtm

davidtm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would think it's possible to order a right-hand drive version, though the US-specifications could make it complicated. I'd think it's worth asking a Toyota dealer.

11. bat4255

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker4theSpurs @ Nov 8 2007, 09:37 PM) [snapback]537019[/snapback]</div>
    You nailed it, for about a week or so in spring. Mud and gravel on the shoulders. The passenger side gets twice as dirty as the drivers side. It looks like she went through a field. But thats when the frost is coming out. In winter, I have seen the snow pack tight in the wheel wells, just from the frozen slush.

Like I mentioned earlier, I feel bad even considering a Prius, just because it will go through hell for about 3 months out of the year. It seems like too nice of a car for that.

12. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  13. bat4255

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Great Link

Thanks

14. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope this is obvious: she must test drive one before you buy. She might find the controls unuseable from the passenger's side, and some people cannot tolerate the seats (they're not very adjustable).

My aunt delivered mail in northern Wisconsin for years and considered an AWD Subaru ideal for it.

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jim O @ Nov 8 2007, 09:06 PM) [snapback]537035[/snapback]</div>
    How about buy a used one instead of a brand new one? That will make you feel less bad. :D

16. bat4255

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    A new one is not a whole lot more that a used one. The resale seems as good as "Mini" :)

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jim O @ Nov 9 2007, 07:54 AM) [snapback]537184[/snapback]</div>
    That's why we often say, "the search tool is a wonderful thing" :p
    . . . and welcome!

18. bat4255

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Well, we bit the bullet today, and have a new 08 on the way, option package 2. We had the dealer throw in a few things, as they don't move too much on the sticker. It was either a used '05 with option everything including navigation with 22,000 miles for 20K or a new 08 for 24K (no navigation). 4K got me a 3 year newer vehicle. I'll be hanging around to let you know how it works out.Thanks for the imput,

19. jdchappie

jdchappie JD on RR2

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jim O @ Nov 9 2007, 06:39 PM) [snapback]537505[/snapback]</div>
    Good evening Jim O, I bit the bullet in Feb with 3.9% for 4 yrs. Spent hours beating information out of this site and ebay. I drive a 73+ mile 'J' route with 19 miles of dirt or mud. I sit comfortably in the passenger seat, seatbelted in, and steer left-handed. Had a Jeep with Brights controls---too massive for the job--no good place for my left foot. Made my own right side controls for gas and brake--removable too. Got tired of 13mpg in my 2000 RHD Jeep. Average mpg 45 with 25000 miles on the odometer. Be glad to share.

20. republicwilson

republicwilson Junior Member

I'm a long time reader of PriusChat who's wife is also a rural mail carrier who drives a high mileage right hand drive jeep that gets about 15 mpg on a warm day. With gas approaching $4.00/gal in our beautiful little valley at the end of the supply routes, the reimbursement she gets from the Post Office seems mighty small. She drove a left-hand drive CR-V for many years but the the miles and the calendar made the stretching required by the wrong-sided controls too much.

We would love to find a right-hand drive Prius for the mail route. Timm's thread has shown us that the Prius can handle the snow, mud, and high water that a rural route can throw at a car, but it also looked downright dangerous to control the car while sitting in the passenger seat.

Does anyone out there in PriusChat land know what it would take to import a right hand drive Prius into the United States. When I asked this questions a couple of dealers, they said no way! (with a slightly fearful look in their eyes) The US customs site implies that a right hand drive car would have to be crash tested even if its left hand drive cousin is legally being imported. All that is legal now is the Jeeps, a Saturn station wagon, a few old trashed Suburus and the 96-97 Honda Accord wagon. Can any import-export wizard suggest a route around this legal restriction?

Also, it seems that the Prius is much more of a fly-by-wire rather than a fly-by-mechanical linkage vehicle so swapping the controls from one side to the other might be a bit easier than other cars.

Thank you
    Bruce