1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newby Question-Battery charge level?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Jensent, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Jensent

Jensent Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We are thinking of buying a 2009 or 2010 Prius . Our usage would be about 8000mi/yr. Thought someone that drives one with similar annual mileage could let me know if we will have trouble keeping the battery charged?
    Any other potential problems when used for short trips weekly?
    Thanks,
    Tom

2. plugmein2

plugmein2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got my 2008 Prius last week but have researched these cars for a while. The battery recharges during the regenerative brake system and by the Gas Engine. The battery will charge up to 85% of capacity depending on the duration of the trip, and then will be used in the synergy system assisting the gas engine giving you increased fuel milage. When the battery gets too low, (15%) the computer tells the gas engine to turn on to charge.

With such low miles per year, you may want to consider converting to a plug-in Prius (PHEV) by Enginer for only $2,000. Almost all your miles would be on electric power. Just plug the car in at home.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The usage you describe should be no problem as long as you drive it long enough to warm it up good and let it charge itself up once a month or so.

There are two batteries a small 12V battery that's like a normal car battery but smaller, about the size of lawnmower or motorcycle battery. The other battery is the 201 Volt traction battery that stores recovered energy and powers the car under some conditions. The 12V battery needs to be replaced from time to time just as any car battery. The traction battery should last for the life of the car, at least we hope so.

4. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As with any car, your mileage will suffer by comparison to EPA or other drivers due to short trips with a cold engine. But you'll still do better with a Prius than with virtually any other car available today.

I have a 1.5 mile commute, and work like the dickens to reach EPA in my non-hybrid cars, even though I always get 125+% of EPA on 5+mile drives.

5. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I can't imagine you'll have any battery issues--it's not like you're only driving 1,000 miles/year.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Pearl sees about 8000 mi/yr (though it's actually 12,000 km/yr ;) ). There is no problem operating the car in this mileage range. The "traction battery" (the main NiMH battery) charge level is maintained typically at the 60% charge level. The only battery you really have to worry about is the 12V auxiliary one. If you don't leave lights on overnight that battery will last from 4 to 7 years.

The Prius is a gasoline powered car. Period. The electric portion is there to allow the gasoline engine to be designed for maximum efficiency yet still be drivable. It also recovers some energy that would normally be wasted by a non-hybrid car, and allowed design of a very efficient A/C system.

You don't have to even think about the traction battery charge level. It is automatically taken care of by the systems in the car. As long as the gasoline engine has fuel it will keep the charge level in the "perfect range" for longevity and efficient use.

Get your Prius, you will be happy you did!

You WILL get poorer mileage with short trips (less than 20 min) and in winter. You will hear Prius owners complain about "lousy mileage". Keep in mind "lousy mileage" for a Prius is 40-45 MPG US. That's still much better than the closest non-hybrid in similar circumstances (all cars get poorer mileage with short trips and in the winter).

We Prius owners need to "chill out". I find myself worrying about how low my current tank's mileage is, but compared to what I used to drive (the anti-Prius, a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder) I still use 1/3 as much fuel as it did!

7. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Newbie is not spelled "Newby". :)