1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newish owner of prius has some questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Drainedclog, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Drainedclog

Drainedclog New Member

First off if i take off the alloy wheels, many ppl have done it, it will expose some hidden beauty wheels underneath, but does that put more pressure onto those wheels since there is support that is gone? have any of u done it?
    Second why doesnt the prius automatically lock the doors when starting the car or reaches a certian mph?
    AND THE SMART KEY AT TIMES IS SO ANNOYING
    ok so my mother opens the door to let me in, but she is farther away so, thus, the car...isnt reading her signal and is thinking someone is stealing the car? so the car beeps to signal that it is being unlocked, but nothing is unlocked. she has to try this a couple more times until it finally opens up!

Some mods to the car: love the all weather mats from costco, and getting bout 49-50mpg, will it get better

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Jaqueh, welcome to PriusChat. Are you talking about the plastic trim rings on the wheels? Many people have removed them, with no loss in MPG or problems. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "i take off the alloy wheels".

The SKS has several modes of operation, which you can change yourself, directions in the manual. The default is: open passenger or hatch, all doors unlock; open driver's door, other doors stay locked. You can change it so only the door you touch is unlocked, or touch any door (not back seat) and all are unlocked.

No one knows why the doors don't lock when in motion.

Your MPG will get better as it gets warmer, as the car breaks in, and as you learn to drive it.

3. Drainedclog

Drainedclog New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Feb 12 2007, 09:58 PM) [snapback]389365[/snapback]</div>
    thank you for the friendly welcomg
    and yes i did mean the plastic trim on the wheels
    they are quite ugly tho

4. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I agree! I took them off immediately. I also replaced the Integrity tires immediately, with Goodyear ComforTred tires.

Congratulations on your new car, it's the smartest car on the road.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jaqueh @ Feb 12 2007, 09:37 PM) [snapback]389355[/snapback]</div>
    No idea. Must be an American car thing. Japanese cars tend to tie the auto-locking to shifter position and/or ignition switch mode.

I don't quite understand the SKS annoyance that you have. Could you please elaborate?

6. Drainedclog

Drainedclog New Member

Just right now i tried to take off the alloy wheels and they wont budge
    how did u gys do it? isnt it just a matter of them snapping off?

7. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The trim rings just pull off with a strong tug, leaving the alloy metal wheels and tires attached to the car. You might need a big flat-blade screwdriver or tire iron to start the process.

I hope we're talking about the same thing.

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jaqueh @ Feb 12 2007, 09:37 PM) [snapback]389355[/snapback]</div>
    If you want to, there's a company called Coastal Electonics, which makes an Auto Door Lock for $65. It locks the doors after 15 mph.