1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newly purchased 2008 stuck in driveway 2 wks till DMV appt

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by FLdreamin, Jan 4, 2021.

1. FLdreamin

FLdreamin New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Can't drive it anywhere. What to do besides starting it up and letting it idle for a few minutes every day? Couldn't get a DMV appt for registration for another 2 weeks. Whaaaa.....

2. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    It sounds like you are doing the right thing to keep the 12V from dying and the HV battery modules from getting unbalanced. It is probably not necessary to start it every day, every couple of days should be fine, but let it warm up fully each time (turn on the heater if you can bear it, and let the engine run for 15 or 20 minutes). Not running it every day will save some gas, hopefully you will have enough to make it to DMV day. It probably wouldn't hurt to drive it forward or back a couple of feet every now and then to keep the tires from developing flat spots.

3. FLdreamin

FLdreamin New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    You're so funny, Dave, to suggest driving up and down the driveway. That's exactly what I did about 10 times at midnight. Neighbors must've loved it!

Turned off the smart key button under the dash to save power on the 12V. However, when I turned off the car completely after that, I pressed the brake down and hear a whirring noise. I hope I didn't brake it (pardon the pun). From what I gather, it may be just the brake actuator or something. Will leave the car in park to run for a few hours every few days.

Not at all experienced in dealing with vehicles (except for checking and adding oil), much less a hybrid. Will see if I can ask my mechanic about hooking up a trickle charger (Noco Genius x?). Definitely appreciate the input!

davecook89t likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Disconnect negative cable from the 12 volt battery, and just hang in there? Two weeks is not long, but just long enough if the battery’s iffy. Or a charger connected, if practical. Seems better than all that gas going up in smoke and getting nowhere.

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Clean and inspect everything!!! Especially clean the engine compartment so if there's any leaks you'll find out about it sooner rather than later. Make a list of things that might need attention/improvements... Add some wax and polish and buy an OBD2 adapter so you you can use phone app to monitor car health. Dr Prius app has a buyer's guide for the device that's compatible with many phone apps: Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus You can also get a mini VCI dongle for similar price and run Toyota Techstream diagnostic software.

#5 PriusCamper, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  6. FLdreamin

FLdreamin New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Will be looking into getting one of the Nocos as I'll eventually need it anyway when I'm able to escape for a vacation at some point.

davecook89t likes this.
  7. FLdreamin

FLdreamin New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    PriusCamper: The engine compartment is absolutely spotless! The original owner took very good care of it and the battery is in great shape for its age. The OBD2 device is on the list along with Dr. Prius. I should have a lot of fun trying to figure out the codes and use it! The wax and polish are going to have to wait till Spring, though. It's a lil too cold up here to do this right now.

Love your handle -- that's part of the reason why I got this car (although my back not agree).

davecook89t and PriusCamper like this.
  8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How many miles on the car.

Do not clean anything in the engine compartment. Water getting into any electrical connector will drive you crazy.
    Just watch all the reservoirs under the hood like the inverter coolant reservoir
    The brake fluid reservoir and the engine coolant rad. Take the black plastic cover off the top of the rad you will find the rad cap under there. That should be full to the lip. Don’t bother looking at the over flow tank that’s useless it could be full and rad empty.
    Most used g2’s have a tired hybrid battery or may eat engine oil.
    Sometimes both.
    Most g2s leak water bad in the hatch including mine. Open up the back hatch take the spare tire out and look in the hole the 12 volt battery sits in with a flashlight it may be full of water very common look for rust stains under the spare tire.
    And lastly if it was me I would measure the 12 volt dc on the front jump point
    See how bad the 12 is. It’s a very rare used G2 that does not need a new 12 volt battery. Get a battery charger. Never ever jump start the car from the battery always use the front jump point that’s why it’s there.
    Lastly if it was me I would force charge that hybrid battery everyday
    And watch the hybrid battery level in the mfd and be very concerned about the hybrid battery levels and behavior.

to force charge put the car in
    ready. Put your left foot on the brake pedal put it in drive and push on the gas till the engine starts so your basically power braking the car.
    Watch the battery monitor on the mfd and slowly push on the gas till you see the charging lines go from the car to the battery. Then you are charging the hybrid battery, don’t floor it just continue to press the gas pedal till the engine is running high enough to start charging the battery. While doing this never let off the brake as you will take off.
    Been doing this for years.

start reading all the hybrid battery posts. Anything you ever want to know about the G2 can be found by using the search forums link up top.

search

hybrid battery

Stevewoods and FLdreamin like this.
  9. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And then you go on to tell him that he is NOT doing the right thing.
    The latter is the right answer. :ROFLMAO:

10. FLdreamin

FLdreamin New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The "he" is a she! Lol... :p

davecook89t likes this.
  11. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You think a filthy engine compartment won't create more problems than a little cleaning fluid or a small amount water that's too dangerous for the electrical connections?

This is the first time I've read of someone recommending that its safer to not clean your car. Makes no sense...

I'm slowly learning the hard way that I'm better off telling people that I won't work on a filthy car even if I need to earn the money as it's indicative of a lack of proper care and maintenance and always ends up being a way bigger hassle than its worth.

davecook89t likes this.
  12. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do not disconnect the 12v if you have to get the car smog checked. It will reset the computers and you will fail unless you drive around.

Failed Smog: Doing a drive cycle after a code reset for smog test. | PriusChat

edthefox5, FLdreamin and davecook89t like this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’m siding with Ed: I’d take wipe down with rags, compressed air and brushes, over a water blast.

Stevewoods, edthefox5 and davecook89t like this.
  14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Usually after washing the car with the hood fully closed some water gets into the engine compartment and that combined with the wet towel from drying the car is enough to keep a clean engine clean. But that first round of cleaning will require more soapy fluid than that.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A4EACE59-8A93-4B54-92F2-1F0D70827B47.jpeg

Got this saved for later (on Amazon). I like that it’s on-board, you plug it in just like a block heater, say through the front grill. So far my CTEK 4.3 won’t quit though. It’s external; I’ve wall-mounted near the car and installed a quick connect. I need to pop the hood though.

FLdreamin and davecook89t like this.
  16. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm guessing the noise you heard after turning off the car was the pump in the Coolant Heat Recovery System. It fills a "thermos" with warm coolant. If you start the car again within the next few hours, it will pump the warm coolant back into the engine to shorten the time required for the engine to reach operating temperature. That sound is distinct from the sound that the actuator makes when it is pressurizing the braking system. You will hear that sound frequently (but hopefully not too frequently) when you are driving and using the brakes.

17. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    OK. I would say I'm sorry......but I'm not.
    Because that wasn't really obvious.
    And it has no bearing on what is being discussed.
    Maybe instead of using the old convention of using male pronouns when the gender is unknown, we should start using "it" instead.

18. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is that basically a trickle charger for a 12v battery?

Because after way too many experiences of a trickle charger not being able to fix a battery that lost it's charge even after charge time longer than a day I've finally given up on trickle chargers and spent $30 on this 12v charger: Full Automatic12V/24V 10A Car Battery Charger 100AH Electric 110V 220V | eBay

It usually pumps ~8amps in when the battery needs it and then slows down to a trickle charger when battery is fully charged. Has lots of pretty blinking lights too... Way more entertaining than a trickle charger. I guess this particular brand is the most popular one in SE Asia. I had no idea how often I needed a more powerful 12v charger for myself, friends and family until I got this one.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. FLdreamin

FLdreamin New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    ~149k - so much to learn about this vehicle, it's a pretty steep curve (and responsibility) for someone like myself. Will be spending a lot of time in lockdown reading these posts. Praying that there's no water under the tire in back. Will be checking that along with the fluids, etc. Runs off to go get a volt meter and find out where the front jump points is...

Force charging the battery, will have to think about doing that. Car sitting running in ready mode in the driveway right now. Will give it another 2 hours or so to charge (not worried about the gas).

edthefox5 likes this.
  20. FLdreamin

FLdreamin New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Done. Will be delivered on Thursday -- thanks for the recommendation!

Mendel Leisk likes this.