1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured News About Latest Hybrid & EV Training

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by PriusCamper, Dec 6, 2023.

1. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    While most of us on Priuschat who work on hybrid battery packs and associated components got our training from the people we met on PriusChat, I recently got an announcement from Jose, who has an advanced hybrid training class starting on Dec.11th: Hybrid Solution Diagnostics - YouTube

He's based on the island of Trinidad-Tobago and is offering this 16 course in-person class on everything you need to learn to be a hybrid and EV technician. Each class is 2-1/2 hours long and in US dollars the cost is roughly $62 per class, which seems like a reasonable price.

Of course probably most of us won't be able to show up for that. So it got me thinking where else besides PriusChat do hybrid repair folks get their trainings?

There's lots of community colleges that offer auto repair certificates. The two I'm aware of are the one Professor Joe ( Hybrid Car Battery Distributor | Contact Us | 2nd Life Battery ) teaches at the college in Bend, Oregon: Automotive Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEV) Technician - Level 2 - Career Pathway Certificate of Completion (CPCC) < Catalog And there's also a program in LA at Riverside City College: Automotive Hybrid and Electrical Vehicle

I suspect there's many more colleges that teach this subject. If you're aware of any, please post them to this thread.

Also for current SAE certified mechanics, there are one day to five day courses on the subject that cost around $600 per day and are usually paid for by the mechanic's employer: SAE International | Professional Development

Overall, I couldn't imagine any of these are easier and more affordable than learning everything you need to via PriusChat, but maybe there's more to it than that? What are your thoughts on the best way to learn this stuff?

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    One of the young guys I worked with prior to retiring was certified by Toyota through their hybrid training. I guess the takeaway was that even though they trained him, & he passed - they didn't hire him. Odd.

PriusCamper likes this.
  3. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I had the 2013 Nissan Leaf, I wanted a key fob and the 2G telemetry upgraded to 3G (which was advertised as something you could have done). So I set up an appointment in advance and drove the 70 miles to that nearest dealer, making it with barely any charge left due to lots of water on the road and wind from a bad storm. When I showed up they told me they couldn't work on my car because they didn't have anyone employed there certified to work on EV's. So I went to the only charging station in town (level 2), charged it for several hous back up to 100% and drove back home.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    bwilson4web likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is in the news section. I'd like to move it elsewhere, was thinking FHoP.

8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought about that before posting, but then started thinking that this thread could be used in the future for forwarding announcements about trainings being offered, which would be news-oriented.

Or at least that's what I'll try to do with this thread in the future, regardless of which forum it lives on...

9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps you can change title to: "News About Latest Hybrid & EV Trainings" And I'll commit to populating it with those types of posts every time I run across them, which will lead to others doing the same?

Tideland Prius likes this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure

PriusCamper likes this.
  11. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    BRIDGEPORT, Conn., Dec. 7, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- After announcing a $47.5 million federal grant to build its first major factory in the city of Bridgeport, Massachusetts-based electric-vehicle battery startup, Nanoramic Laboratories, has tapped University of Bridgeport (UB), along with a few other select area colleges and universities, as a partner in workforce development

The innovative company chose Bridgeport following a nationwide search to identify a location for its first factory – a search that included several other potential sites, including in New York state.

[​IMG]
    Connecticut Governor Ned Lamont addresses the crowd at University of Bridgeport on December 1, 2023.

On Friday, December 1, Nanoramic co-founder, John Cooley, Ph.D. visited Goodwin University's Steans Manufacturing Center, located on UB's campus. Cooley was joined by Connecticut Governor Ned Lamont, along with AdvanceCT CEO John Bourdeaux, Lieutenant Governor Susan Bysiewicz, UB President Danielle Wilken, and other state and community leaders to announce the exciting collaboration. At the event, Cooley noted the infrastructure and workforce opportunities Connecticut's largest city offers for manufacturers, citing Bridgeport's "very unique mix and dense concentration of highly specialized manufacturing talent and engineering talent." He continued that he was, "impressed with the response from the community in Bridgeport and Connecticut," as well as the "focus that the city of Bridgeport and the state has on advanced manufacturing."

One of the key advantages to setting up shop in Bridgeport is the workforce training and recruitment opportunities available through partnership with nearby schools like University of Bridgeport. As Nanoramic Laboratories and its parent company, FastCap Systems, performed its nationwide search throughout 2023, the company was connected to University of Bridgeport through AdvanceCT – a private nonprofit focused on business development in the state. The groups discussed how they might best address Nanoramic's anticipated workforce needs in a way that benefits the company, the city, and UB's students. Nanoramic expects to eventually employ 200 or more people at its Bridgeport location.

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I wish we could find a 'curator' to maintain a knowledge-base of training and schools with possibly a map of locations. Needs to be someone who actually vets the schools and training.

Bob Wilson

PriusCamper likes this.
  13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    While that logically makes sense in theory... In practice, we're a DIY organized operation and almost never get into learning this knowledge as a career path, but in order to save money on outrageous car repairs. For some of us, that turns into helping other people with repairs prices, which can also be a side hustle that benefits friends and family if we learn enough.

But professional battery re-builders don't spend much time with us, nor do ACE certified mechanics...

Also Jose in Trinidad-Tobago pulled down his announcement about his 16 week class. Not sure why yet, but I suspect lack of interest/people's ability to pay for it.

As in we're raising kids in this society to want to be super rich explonting others, rather than working an honest job as a skilled tradesman helping others. These folks are in short supply these days, especially electricians. Almost makes me want to get certified as an electrician, lol...

Add to that all the business owners charging criminal prices that make auto repair & purchasing the #1 consumer complaint every year, and you have a perfect recipe for ordinary people using PriusChat to fix their car themselves.

Isaac Zachary likes this.