1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

News Flash: Experimental Paint May Improve Prius MPG!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by efusco, Apr 28, 2004.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    by: Imfol Uvit, BS News Reporter

Hickville, MO:
    While washing his 2004 Prius today owner Evan Fusco, MD decided to try out the latest and greatest in car washing tools--Mr. Clean Car Wash. Fusco had heard the commercials, read the slick ads and even saw reports on the internet about how effective this new water deionizing product was at washing the car with no spotting or residual.

Fusco states:"There I was, just after my 8th Bud, rinsing off my Seaside Blue Prius and low and behold the water drops was still thar on my car. After I spat out a chaw of T'baky and cursed Mr. Clean's shiny bald head I had me one of them 'Piffinies. I realized that them genious engineers over in Japan had put special paint on my Prius. I reckoned that my paint had special ionizing properties--that's why that deionized water didn't run off proper. I also figgered that them same ionizing properties are what accounts for my good gas mileage."

Fusco related that he's been exceeding the EPA rated combined mileage in his Prius despite widespread reports by others of severely lower mileage.

"I figgered that those fokes with bad mileage was all driving a differn't colored car than mine. It's obvious that since our federal government requires truth in advertisin' and that Mr. Clean advertises that thier deionized water leaves your car spotless then there must be sumtin' ionizing that water back on my car." "I know from reading on my Lesbian chat...er, PriusChat web sites that other folks ain't getting as gooda mileage as me. It all fell into place."

Comments sought from Toyota USA in regards to this matter were met with the following comment:
    "Toyota is heavily involved in research of all kinds, some public some not. At this time we can not confirm or deny the use of experimental paints that improve gas mileage via ionization in Seaside Pearl Priuses."

Fusco believes that the ionization process further reduces the already low Cd of the Prius making it even more 'slippery'.

"Them Japs are real smart." states Fusco.

8) Danny, you can move this, or delete it at will...I think I spent too long in the sun washing my baby today! :?

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Spot-free rinse doesn't work at the carwash either... :cussing:

3. bigbaldcuban

bigbaldcuban New Member

LOL!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

4. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Toyota's been working on this for years -- and it's not limited to your Seaside Blue: the paint on each different shade of Prius imbues it with "special powers". It's part of the Toyota Special Projects Group (TOYSPROG) Initiative #9, code-named Project Power Rangers.

Details:
    • Reduced friction
    • Tideland Pearl Chameleon-like invisibility
      [*]Salsa Red Alternate solar energy source
      [*]Super White
      [*]Driftwood Pearl

Can't imagine where the Japanese engineers came up with these ideas. :wink:

5. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Actually, I'd like to confirm the higher than expected mileage for a Seaside Pearl paint job. HUMU just completed an 1800 mile trip to California and back with an overall mileage of 52.5 (90% of that on the highway). A few legs of the trip had me dropping down into the high 40's, but overall, the car did better than EPA. Gas is now about 2.20 in northern CA and will probably go up. Only saw about a dozen Prii the whole time, although I did get to fly in formation, briefly, with a Tideland Pearl along the Bayshore Freeway heading south out of SF.
    How've the black Prii been doing for mileage? I thought that the light absorption quality of black would decrease the mileage some, and, by inference, increase the mileage for white Prii. Seaside is midway in the color spectrum, so maybe there are other mileage numbers we need to look at. I bet a transparent Prius would do really well, but you'd have to drive fully dressed.
    I also noticed far fewer bugs on my windscreen, I think because of the airflow over the car and the relatively small frontal profile of the windscreen.
    I was surprised at that because other cars at the rest stops were plastered.
    Anyone else notice that?
    B

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    > Tideland Pearl: Chameleon-like invisibility

Sorry... SILVER provides that ability, not Tideland.

Tideland turns a sweet green when you look at it the right way. Cool, but limited.

Silver reflects the color of other objects... all colors, just like a chameleon does.

The top of my silver is blue on a clear day. The side of my silver is brown when I park next to a brick building. The whole body of my silver changes to red at sunset.

7. jasond

jasond New Member

Black gets better mileage when driving with the sun behind you, of course.

8. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've been waiting for that Arkansas education to come out in you!

Redneck's last words: "Hey y'all, watch this!"

I'm not even going to ask, Bob.

Ok, yes, I am. When do you not drive fully dressed?

There it goes, I just opened a can of worms :mrgreen:

9. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey efusco, I have that Mr. Clean Auto Dry car wash too. I talked about it a couple weeks ago here: http://www.priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic....&highlight=wash I have only washed my car one time with it but that one time, I was very stingy with the special filter rinse. You know because the one that comes with it is only good for 3 dries. I am going to wash it now and see how it turns out, on mpg's grounds.
    Brian

10. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Danny - just ask John1701a about driving less than fully clothed :-P A transparent Prius is probably not his ideal car. :lol:

11. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    i've also tried the mr. clean washer. so far it's worked 3/4 times i've used it. the starter filter was only for 3 washes (but on third wash, :x i got a heck of a lot of water spots and streaks). i bought the refill filter which says is good for 10 washes. what i noticed is that i have to give it a good rub down with the soap for the the deionized water to work. i somewhat like it because it cuts down the manual drying time it usually takes me. i just have to wipe isolated spots that dont dry on their own, usually the windows. but nothing beats a good 'ol bucket of water with carwash detergent and manual drying. :mrgreen:

12. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

until I find out if this is contagious I'm not washing mine, just in case! I'm starting to worry about you people!

13. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

this is pretty much unrelated but too funny not to share, and i think the person involved might be a neighbor of the legendary dr. fusco...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=4146756343

check the hit counter, see how many times this was viewed! it is indeed a great world we live in!

14. Lectricar

Lectricar New Member

This is a riot. I recently bought the Mr. Clean kit. it didn't work and I called to b*tch to Mr. Clean on his 800 line.

They were kind enough to send me a coupon for not one, but two new kits.

Guess what, I picked up the kits today and ...it didn't work again. I used the chamois to dry the car

15. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
  16. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Too late Frank, it aeresolizes the first time you turn on the A/C in your Prius. Your first clue should have been that it took you this long to realize that there was something wrong with all of us! :p

17. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Evan,
    Next time you wash the car, wear a hat. :wink:

18. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Dang! if I got it I might as well wash it. If I'd only know! My moma told me about people like you, and as usual I didn't listen. cuff me one upside the head.

19. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Must make it hell to find in a crowded parking lot!

He said the dress was $1,200 new, and somebody ended up paying $3,850 for it. What's going on here?

20. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's a lot of Mariner's games and beer :)