1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

News from The Steve's address at MacWorld

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bookrats, Jan 10, 2006.

1. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Update:: For a great technical (and sardonic) detailed summary of the keynote and products, take a look at the Ars Technica summary. Very good, and much fun. (Below is (hopefully) a list of the major points with very little detail.)

Steve Jobs is giving his 2-hour MacWorld keynote address; I've got a live feed on a blog that's covering it, and thought I'd relay some of the high points here, for the Mac fans.

iPod news:
    • 14 Million iPods sold in 2005. Still about 83% of US MP3 player market. 850 million songs sold via iTunes store. 8 million videos sold in a few months. (Rose Bowl is #1 currently.)
    • New video content: Saturday Night Live (repeats I think).
    • New accessory for iPod: remote control + FM tuner.
    Mac news (software):
    • More widgets... lots more widgets. More widgets... than you have ever seen before...
    • Tiger 10.4.4 released: right now. (Comes with boatloads of widgets. But you knew that.)
    • Major iLife update today. Lot of photo features -- photo effects, extras.
    • Introduce Photocasting through .Mac (like podcasting with photos.) Grandmothers and new parents will pee their pants over this.
    • iMovie: exports to video iPod, can do Video Podcasts (grandmothers and new parents keel over dead with joy.) More effects ("Ken Burns" montages, animated themes, etc.)
    • iDVD: More widescreen support; something called iDVD Magic (works with 3rd party drives -- maybe competition for Toast?)
    • Garage Band: Podcast authoring studio. Tools, jingles, sound effects, automatic ducking (?) for audio, and a speech enhancer (maybe for clearing up muddy interviews.) Can use iChat for remote interviews. New jampacks (? Sorry, unfamiliar with Garage Band.)
    • New iLife tool: iWeb, web site building software for .Mac. "Make beautiful websites that are simple to use. Share photos, blogs, and podcasts". Emphasis on "simple to build" -- "one-click publishing".
    • All this in new iLife: free on new Macs, $79 new, $99 family pack for 5 Macs.
    • New iWorks:
    Mac news (hardware):
    • Started year at 1 million Macs a quarter; better every quarter after that (so >4 million Macs in 2005).
    • Intel status? Intel CEO shows up in Intel clean room bunny suit. "We're ready, Steve!" Hands him Intel silicon wafer, leaves stage. :lol:
    • Apple is ahead of schedule with Intel chip, so....
    • BIG SURPRISE: First Intel-based Mac is: The iMac!!!! Same price, same
      design, same features. What's different?
    • Using Intel core dual chip. 2-3 times faster than PowerPC G5 iMac.
    • Starting today, all iMacs are Intel Dual processor. Tiger 10.4.4 is entirely native on Intel processors.
    • All new Apple software products shown todary are Universal (Intel and PowerPC). All demos of Apple software during Keynote are running on Intel Macs. Pro apps will be Universal in March. (Final cut, Aperture, Logic pro). Can trade in your versions (if latest) for $49.
    • Ships with Rosetta, which allows you to run current PowerPC apps on Intel Macs. MS Office for Mac runs fine in Rosetta.
    • Microsoft Apple Software Business Unit guy appears. (In cloud of sulfer. :D Kidding...)
    • Universal version of Office for Mac should be out in March. Microsoft offering Office for 50% off for new Mac buyers.
    • Microsoft formallizing that they will support Office for the Mac for at least the next 5 years.
    • All Macs Intel-based by end of year
    • FRIGGING BIG SURPRISE (this is probably his exit surprise): New Notebook Mac: MacBook Pro. "Wanted the word "Mac" back in name of laptop products".
    • Intel based, dual core!! -- 4.5 times faster than G4, than the PowerBook. Fastest Mac laptop ever. Thinest Mac laptop ever. Very pretty.
    • 15.4" widescreen LCD. 5.6 lbs. $2000 for 1.67 Ghz model, $2500 for 1.83 Ghz model.
    • Front Row built right in. Also, power cord is magnestically attached to laptop -- so if someone trips over cord, cord pops off -- instead of dragging your laptop off the table and onto the floor. MagSafe is the name.
    • Ships in Feb., taking orders now.
    • Steve has the Apple engineers stand up -- great applause. (Good for you, guys.)
    Steve ends with cryptic note that Apple will be 30 years old on April Fools Day, 2006. Says thanks for 30 years, and that ends the session.

That's all, folks! For a couple of good transcripts of the talk, check out Ars Technica and EnGadget.

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What's the big rumor for this year? I heard about a Mac Plasma TV...

3. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Rumor is, Intel-based iBooks -- but we'll see. The Steve always wants to go out on a high, so he saves the best for last.

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hey, bookrats. Thanks for the updates. I'll check back all week for the news. I'm hoping for price cuts!

5. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Good point, hiyo -- probably use this thread to discuss the aftermath of the keynote.

6. bookrats

bookrats New Member

See the top: All iMacs are now Intel-based!

7. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    *starts singing from West Side Story* I'm so happy... oh so happy!

8. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Holy $%#! Completely new Notebook Mac!

9. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i just screamed out loud

10. bookrats

bookrats New Member

OK, that's it. Wow -- the iMacs floored me. And going to all Intel by the end of the year -- very ambitious.

The new laptop looks beautiful, and will definitely be what all the Mac Notebook PowerBook people have been waiting for... but it ain't cheap.

And I'm happy I bought a PowerPC Mac last May. Not because it's better -- I don't think it is -- but because it's going to be a while before folks have all the software tooled over to Intel binaries (Universal), and running them via Rosetta will be (I think) slow.

Now, how soon until Microsoft comes out with a version of Virtual PC that runs for Intel-based Macs? :eek:

11. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no, they had software companies start making intel-based software a long time ago.

12. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

They told them about it a little over 6 months ago. Depending on who you ask, that's a long time, or not really...

I'm excited about the new macs out today, but I'm afraid I'm never going to get used to calling that laptop "MacBook Pro."

They have always been Powerbooks to me... going back to the original 100... even before they had PowerPC processors to begin with.

And this thing looks like a Powerbook still.

13. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Wonder if us Mac users shouldn't have our own forum.... B)

14. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's powerbooks for me too. Can't get used to the change either.

I had that same problem when Apple upgraded the original 128k mac to the 512, not to mention the 512e soon thereafter :lol:

Man, it's been quite a ride since 1984.

15. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It's ironic that the RISC architecture became moot as processor speed increased so much. At the time, it seemed like the logical thing to do but instead, it was just a minor detour in the grand scheme of things. Apple's management at the time wasn't making good decisions. Steve never should have left.

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Boy, am I ever glad I didn't buy one last week. I've used PCs for about 25 years now, and I think that's more than long enough. I sense a religious conversion here. I've been a Mac wannabe for at least a week now (well maybe two), and I think the wannabe part will be gone by the end of the month. My only complaint is that I have to buy two, so that I get one all to myself. The girls are going to be ecstatic. What are the chances I'll get any housework out of them now? <_<

Do I still need Virtual PC to run those two Windows apps? Pardon my ignorance, but I'm working on it! :)

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked out the new iMac G5 on the Apple.ca site. The most intelligent response I can give is "i i i." :D

18. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes, you're going to need virtual PC to run windows apps unless the app is supported for mac. Windows has .exe files but for mac i think its .dmg. Dmg is what pops up on my ibook whenever i download an application, but I can't say i'm 100% sure that .dmg is equivilent to .exe. Therefore, unless your windows software comes with .dmg setup files, it wont install on a mac.

and it looks like the iMac is just now called the iMac

which windows applications were you wanting to use on the mac? it could be supported by mac

19. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The new Macs (they'll be using Intel's Core Duo processor) will consume less energy, generate much less heat and run much faster than the Macs using the PowerPC. They're supposed to be able to run Windows programs and be able to support the Windows OS. My powerbook is getting a bit long in the tooth so I'll be getting a new one soon but not until they put the Core Duo in to it. Everything about the Intel-based Mac that I've seen suggests that it will be a vast improvement instead of a bomb. Remember, you're not dealing with Microsoft here, you'd be getting the best of Intel and Mac. The Intel-based design is already available with the iMac.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore/

20. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

.dmg is the mac os x disk image file. It's the rough equivalent of an .iso file on a PC.

Mac OS applications can either preclude a file extension, or have the hidden .app extension.