1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

News: GM shooting for 2009 for plug-in Saturn VUE

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by DanCar, Nov 29, 2006.

1. DanCar

DanCar New Member

http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=24308
    * In 2008, the first front-wheel-drive application of the 2-mode hybrid system, will debut – without plug-in technology – in the Vue Green Line. The Vue Green Line will offer customers a choice of the GM Hybrid system or the 2-mode hybrid system.

* In 2009, an electric all-wheel-drive, 2-mode hybrid system will be introduced in the Vue Green Line.

I'm guessing toyota is also shooting for 2009 model year for Prius plug-in.

2. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanCar @ Nov 29 2006, 04:45 PM) [snapback]355321[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, Toyota ("Toyota North America" anyhow) said today that Toyota has "no plans at the moment" to build plug-in hybrids.

Reuters article
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("Reuters @ 11/29/06")</div>

3. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Nov 29 2006, 01:49 PM) [snapback]355322[/snapback]</div>
    Well I've got plans. :p

4. DanCar

DanCar New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Nov 29 2006, 02:49 PM) [snapback]355322[/snapback]</div>
    Marketing people will often stretch the truth in order to have a big splash when they announce it. Yes, they have no definite plans to mass build it, but they are designing and testing it. You get a hint of this because he says "at the moment". Who knows, by the next moment they may have definite plans.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0720/p02s01-ussc.html

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm pretty sure GM has some insider news that we don't know about. If they're pushing for 2009, you know it's either because Toyota's aiming for 2010 so they want to get it a year in or Toyota's aiming for 2008/09 and they want to be competitive.

6. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 29 2006, 03:17 PM) [snapback]355335[/snapback]</div>

I'm with you on this. I don't think there is much that gets by any of the major players. Now they may make misjudgements, GM/DC on hybrids - at first. But notice that when Honda says something Toyota responds and vice versa. Now GM is stepping into the fray.

I'm also 50/50 that there may be cooperation and some orchestration for the benefit of the public.

When I worked for a large international company in the past it was a fight to death in the trenches but at the Management level and in Engineering know-how we were actually partners in bringing new products to market.

7. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The whole question of who will come to market with a PHEV first - GM or Toyota - is down to only one single thing.... who has signed the best battery deal.

The one thing both GM and Toyota are terrified of is putting lithium-ion into a vehicle and then seeing their cars catch fire or explode on the news, as Sony powered laptops recently did, damaging the companies reputation badly.

So neither company will ever release a vehicle until two key issues are solved. These are:

(1) Safety - ie no more danger of catching fire.

(2) Cycle life - the batteries must last at least 120k miles or 10 years to avoid consumers losing all confidence.

Today there are several companies who have solved both the safety and cycle life issues (A123, Altair etc).

So any announcement of a PHEV programme like this one can ONLY come once they've signed a deal with one of these companies. My guess is GM have finally pinned down A123 or Altair, and now have the confidence to make LiIon powered vehicles (they can't do this without a safe battery).

Toyota, on the other hand, have been buying up Japanese companies with any possible link to LiIon development for ages now (at least 4 that I'm aware of). However, I suspect that despite their recent multi-million-dollar scrambling for LiIon technology, they still haven't got a battery they can be confident with, or which can compete with A123 or Altair specs.

If this is the case, then GM will be the winners in the PHEV race and once again take the technological high-ground.