1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

News: Hybrid Technology Better Than the Diesel?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Danny, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    An interesting read.

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/news_11_1/

Deutsche Presse-Agentur (dpa) - February 10, 2004

Hamburg (dpa) - Will hybrid technology, a combination of petrol engine and electric motor, eventually replace the diesel as the cheaper alternative?

While Japanese manufacturers have made huge progress in the new hybrid technology and are already offering the second generation of Toyota Prius II and Honda Civic IMA, major European manufacturers are steadfastly sticking to the diesel....

2. satchm0

satchm0 New Member

On the contrary. Why not a diesel/electric hybrid?

3. cybele

cybele New Member

Even better - a biodiesel/electric hybrid.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If reduction of emissions is your highest priority, I already drive one of the cleanest choices available now and in the near future: a 2004 Prius running on low-sulfur 90% gasoline 10% ethanol fuel.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    John,
    Would not biodiesel be even cleaner and further reduce fossil fuel dependence? I'm not really up on biodiesel, but the little I've heard it seems a good choice. Would a biodiesel Prius not be a good choice.

6. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Biodiesel has a bad tendency to gel in cold temps, which makes it a poor choice here in the north. Ethanol, on the other hand, is a good fuel, though lower in power than gasoline. The biggest problem with it so far has been an incompatabilty with some seals used in fuel lines, injectors, etc. , but it can be remedied with different materials.

7. JeffG

JeffG New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Why not a diesel/gas/electric hybrid?

:p

8. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Seattle is about to be the first city in the US to operate a fleet of diesel hybrids, made by GM. Apparently, GM is investing its hybrid technology into trucks and busses, which makes some sense since they are heavy polluters and get terrible mileage. My partner runs his Jetta diesel on bio-diesel and has had no gel problems in our cold weather. If the bio diesel is made properly, it will work as well as petrol based diesel and produce much less particulant pollution. It's also better on the engine. Diesel, the inventor of the engine which bears his name, intended his engine to be run on vegetable oil making farmers essentially self sufficient. The petrol giants co-opted that operation (like they did by buying up transit systems and bankrupting them to promote automobiles and gas consumption.) Our joke is that when I get my Prius, we will have cut our dependence on "foreign oil" by about 75%. My partner is making his own fuel from scavanged cooking oil and some website technology.
    The whole alternate fuel/hybrid thing feels really exciting because it's a way of fighting back against the stupidity of our present Bush inspired anti conservation energy policy.

9. ml194152

ml194152 Member

Diesels have high NOx emmisions, so even a hybrid diesel would not be good.

10. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That hurdle is being worked on. The sulphur content in diesel fuel right now ruins the emissions equipment too quickly. The new fuel regs for diesel will help remedy this.

11. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    don't forget Diesels' poor power-to-weight ratio, which means there'll be more engine to lug around .... and accelerate off the line..... which would slow the car or require bigger electrics, batteries, etc., etc., which are all in the wrong direction.... one of the best features of a Diesel is that, at idle, it consumes virtually no fuel, which is GREAT for around-town or slow-traffic stop-and-go commuting! my '82 Isuzu I-Mark Diesel wouldn't go below 30mpg no matter what i did to it! but in a hybrid, i'd vote: no.

[and they vibrate more and are noisier, on average....]
    :)

12. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Diesels running on bio-diesel have vastly less particulant emissions, and no sulphur emissions. France is going bio-diesel big time.

13. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

maybe a diesel with this technology
    http://www.denso.co.jp/motorshow/2003/en/p...esel/index.html
    my big complaint with diesels and emissions is that you can't run one underground without a scrubber, why above ground. We put them on lots of diesel powered equipement for sale to use above ground all the time. Cummins, IHC, Cat, Toyota, etc. and they work so why not all diesels? Even if they only cut 60-80% of the particulate that's a lot better than none.

14. Joel

Joel New Member

Mercedes Benz has a concept car called the Grand Sport Tourer that is diesel / electric hybrid.

15. tag

tag Senior Member

Saw that thing on their web site and all I can say is, WOW! However, what's your best guess re MSRP? I'm thinking it's going to be a two-fer thing (i.e. you'll be able to buy 2 Prii for the cost of 1 GST).

16. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I appologise for the dead link on the Denso site. It was a description of their new scrubber technology.

17. newts

newts New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Which is a good thing. Paris smells like a big truck stop with all the diesel cars. Not to start a flamewar, I love Paris.

jv

18. rflagg

rflagg Member

You mean to tell me that one of the byproducts of website production is a vegetable based oil? This is a bigger breakthrough than anything!! Tell me how it's done, my partner, being a webprogrammer, would love to harness this capacity. ;)

-m.

19. rflagg

rflagg Member

Back to the topic at hand, though - this website: http://www.drivetosurvive.info/ - was the basis of a show just last night on the History Channel (of all places) regarding the future technology of cars, dealing specifically with alternative fuel sources. One of the guys in the Drive to Survive competition only spent $5000 to put two parts into his Dodge Ram to convert it to a clean burning truck. Also in the competition was a 2004 Prius, but I'm not sure if it was modded at all. The Honda insight that was in it was modded to burn Hydrogen. Anyways, interesting stuff. They also had a nice 5 minute or so segment on the 2004 Prius.

-m.

20. richard_durant

richard_durant New Member

Thanks ! Me too, but the main pollution comes from trucks and buses caught in traffic jams, not from cars. Lets dream about electric trucks for inner city delivering ...

Richard. 8)