1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

News on 2005 Prius models?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bookrats, Mar 12, 2004.

1. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Howdy! Has anyone heard when (and where) info on the 2005 Prius models may be available?

I'm probably going to be "getting in line" soon (test driving the '04 Prius and a couple of other cars next week).

However, since:
    • *I'm not in a rush (my '87 Civic DX hatchback lives on, and on, and on...)
      *The wait is going to be X months anyway
      *Most importantly, I want exactly the option set I'm interested in (I want another car that I drive for 10+ years)
      • ...I'm interested in waiting for the 2005 models to be announced, as they may have some minor feature that I'd be interested in waiting for, and want to order specifically.

I assume the 2005 models will have little other than colors and minor features; but in case they have:
        • * A CD player that plays MP3 CD-Rs
          * An AUX-IN plug for MP3 players/iPods
          * Bodyside moldings (reduce dings from people banging their car doors into yours; I think these might already be available for European Priuses...)
          • ...then I'd be interested in waiting for a 2005.

Any info or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No news yet on the '05s, but I think there are enough contacts between my contact with various Toyota officials and the various dealers here on PriusChat that as soon as the information is public, you'll hear about it here!

PS - If you want to meet up with other Seattle Prius enthusiasts, both owners and enthusiasts, I'll be up there next week and we're planning on getting together for dinner sometime. Check out the Local Clubs and Events forum for more info:

http://www.priuschat.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=9

3. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Don't forget to check in at prius.meetup.com to find out when and where the next regular get-together is in your area!

4. tag

tag Senior Member

I have some definitive information on the 2005 Prius:

1) It will be produced by Toyota

2) It will be called the Prius

3) The model year will be "2005"

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We missed you the past few days, Jim. And that's why :lol:

6. tag

tag Senior Member

Yeah, well, it's the least I can do. I mean, I have little to add since I don't have my car yet and my wait seems to be getting longer rather than the other way around. :cussing:

I'm really afraid, at this point, that when I do get my Prius, the date of manufacture on the door is going to say October, 2004. :crazyeyes:

7. Atoyot

Atoyot New Member

I even heard that it might be a hybrid. :D

Atoyot

8. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Obviously there won't be any major changes between the '04 and the '05 since the model just came out. Also, there's no real incentive for Toyota to change a car with such a high demand. However, there are a few features from the foreign market Prius that Toyota could decide to offer, like four wheel disk brakes and the EV switch. Hopefully they will also update the NAV CD, and have an audio CD player that will read MP3s and maybe even WMAs.

However, unless they are adding a hover option, I'm still hoping to get an '04.

9. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

coastal dave (www.coastaletech.com) lists an auxiliary audio input among their 'coming soon' items. i want that too, if i do ever get my prius. 40 gig of mp3's on my nomad is too cool to be without.

10. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Off the top of my head here's a quick list of features that are available somewhere in the world on a Prius in some market, and thus could be Options anytime Toyota wants to add them to spiff up the product.

Of course there is NO guarantee they will, but it would be basically a no-cost way for them to distinguish and add value to the next model year.

Of course this list is just for things that aren't in the US model. There are some things in the US model that could be added to some other markets if needed - Take My Bladder - Please.

'Possible' options

EV Mode
    4-Wheel Disk Brakes
    Daytime Running Lights
    Rear Fog Lights
    More Adjustable Drivers Seat
    Rear Park Assist (Proximity beeper)
    Backup Camera
    Automated Park Assist
    Integrated Side Mirror/Turn Signals
    Front Fender Reflectors
    Extended Spoiler
    Larger Wheels
    Different Lower Front Fascia
    3-D Navigation
    Larger Color Selection

I'm sure I've forgotten something.

11. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

when initially looking at the prius i was surprised to find that it did not have 4 wheel disc brakes. i remembered something i read in motor trend once where it said that the ONLY reason a manufacturer doesn't put discs at all 4 wheels is to save money...

12. siai

siai Junior Member

If your ultimate goal is fuel economy, drum brakes are the way to go. Disk brakes tend to have a little more drag then a drum brake has. The pads ride in contact with the disk causing a small amount of drag. On the drum brake, springs return the shoes away from the brake drum, therefore zero drag. I suppose most people aren't going to autocross their Prius and with the regenerative brakes doing most of the work, Toyota may have thought that (in this country anyway) the drum would be a better choice. From a cost standpoint, I would think it would be more expensive to design and tool two different brake systems for the car when sold in various countries.

13. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

possible but i know disc brakes cost more on the car than drum... the point about drag is interesting and if that's the reason, it's a valid explanation. but as for the cost issue, with so many other cars in production, i don't think they would have had to re-tool much to make discs for the back... these days for stuff like that they just reach into the 'parts bin' though i'm sure mods were needed for whichever they chose because of the nature of the prius

14. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

rrr... clicked the wrong button

15. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Unless you do spirited driving, in which case you bought the wrong car, rear disks and 16 inch tires are no improvement over rear drums and 15 inch tires.

Almost al the options listed by Tempus will increase the price of the car in the US, even if that feature is offered by Toyota elsewhere.

16. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

you're correct, i am not buying the prius for 'spirited driving'... i still have my weekend toy for that :D (see my avatar)

17. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Of all those, the only one I want is the EV button.

And curb feelers, just 'because I think they're cool.

18. mdacmeis

mdacmeis Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Actually, this is not necessarily true. Modern disc brakes have piston seals which retract the pistons and allow slight pad to rotor clearance. More often than not, the drum brakes drag more than discs, since the larger shoe must retract over a larger radius. Listen carefully after you apply the parking brake when moving slowly. I'll bet you hear a slight drag once per revolution. Regardless, the issue here is dollars. The disc brake is more expensive and usually has more mass. The caliper must have an integral or drum-in-hat parking brake configuration, also adding cost. Drum brakes, especially on low mass vehicles, supply more than enough brake torque and allow for adequate heat dissipation while saving cost and mass. The point about more cost to tool two different systems is correct, which should give you some idea how much is saved using the drum configuration. There is no real loss to us here, just less rotor corrosion and resulting noise and pulsation. Unless you are racing your Prius, that is.

19. knowledgeseeker

knowledgeseeker New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    One may legitimately want both good fuel economy and a "driver's" car. They are not inconsistent. I fall in that category. A Prius with the handling of (say) a Jetta with sport package would be about right for me. The main thing I'd want to add is more anti-roll.

And - why do Europe and Japan get disk brakes and larger wheels? Are they a litmus test in those places? Or are the driving styles so different that brake fade is an issue (in Europe - hard to believe in Japan ...)?

20. DrSpiffy

DrSpiffy New Member

Since drum brakes can lock and disk brakes can't , the parking brake has to be a drum brake. For that reason, the rear disk brakes on 4-wheel disk brakes also have a drum brake inside. For that reason, 4-wheel disk brakes are more expensive and complicated even though disk brakes are simpler mechanically.