1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NEWS on Coming Prius from Japanese Mag

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ceric, May 10, 2006.

1. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I offer no warranty on this news from TempleOfVtec. The original source is a Japanese Magzine.
    I apologize if this has been posted.

>> Regarding the Prius, well, basically it will arrive later than the Fit, and it’s more of the same except a new package and one key element: the article says that, as many people expect, next gen Prius will base its strength and improvements on a long awaited Li-ion Battery module by Panasonic. It’s supposed to be the first ever on a mass produced car.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess someone tried to throw a dash of "Vibrant Clarity" on the Prius hehehe. It doesn't look half as bad even though I know it's clearly a guess and it's still based on the current design. The wheels look funky too. Heck, I'm sure there'll be quite a number of people here that'll be happy if the Prius kept its liftback design

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Dammit!!! Where's that drool emoticon?

4. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The original caption of the photo says "09 Prius". :D

5. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    :eek: when I first look at the picture, i thought it's a photoshopped hybrid between the Prius and the Yaris!
    If that's how the 09 Prius look... I'll keep my 05... <_<

6. benighted

benighted New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ May 10 2006, 10:37 AM) [snapback]252892[/snapback]</div>
    What did you expect it to look like? It looks exactly how I would picture the next generation of Prius

7. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ May 10 2006, 01:37 PM) [snapback]252892[/snapback]</div>
    I like that new look so if it's a big enough improvement, I'll sell my current one and get that 2009 when it comes out (provided that I can find a gas guzzler addict who's willing for fork over what I paid for it initially <evil smile>. Wonder if they'll have them in green by then? :)

8. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benighted @ May 10 2006, 01:44 PM) [snapback]252901[/snapback]</div>
    I guess we have different expectations and tastes then. Compare to that "09 Prius", I like the look of my 05 better. The 09's front looks too much like a Yaris, and the wheels are ugly IMHO.

9. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ May 10 2006, 02:11 PM) [snapback]252923[/snapback]</div>
    I do too

10. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ May 10 2006, 01:37 PM) [snapback]252892[/snapback]</div>
    That's exactly what it is, and I wouldn't give this too much credence. There are a lot of websites that show "spy shots" of upcoming cars long before the manufacturers release sketches; sometimes even before they have even finalized the design. The Yaris and Camry show the direction that Toyota is going with their passenger car grills (with the Toyota logo as a prominent element), and I suspect that this would be a likely design element for the next Prius as well. My guess is that the new Highlander will have a similar facade. I would think that the rest of the car would be changed a bit in the next generation, even though I don't think it needs it. The buzz I've been hearing is that the next Prius will look even more unconventional (possible, since the Camry hybrid fills the niche of a "conventional" mid-sized hybrid.)
    Those wheels are really awful- if they put those on the Prius, there will be a big aftermarket wheel business :eek:

11. electricity_guzzler

electricity_guzzler New Member

that picture can't be right. the front hood is too big unless toyota made the engine larger, in which case the MPG would drop too.

12. benighted

benighted New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ May 10 2006, 11:11 AM) [snapback]252923[/snapback]</div>
    I prefer the '05 look too but after seeing some of the new cars Toyota has been putting out it just didn't surprise me.

13. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I sort of like it but practicality will influence my vehicle purchase. The Hatchback design is very important. Gas mileage and air quality are next. We could do with some more colors though. I believe that there are 3 Salsa Prii in my 1/2 sm area of La Mesa. I fear that one day we will run into each other and that will definitely be newsworthy!

14. Drift Motion

Drift Motion RMS13

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i like the new body line
    not the wheels tho
    the headlight is still weird..

15. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Here is the original blog, and the original magazine scan.

some numbers:
    length: 4435 mm
    width: 1745 mm (thanks ceric)
    height?: 1490 mm
    wheelbase: 2700mm
    engine: 1ZZ-FXE 4-cylinder DOHC (Atkinson version of the Matrix/Corolla engine? too bad it's not a new 4ZZ-FXE instead)
    The 1ZZ-FE is: 130 hp (97 kW) at 6000 RPM with 125 ft·lbf (169 N·m) of torque at 4200 RPM so we could expect the FXE to be quite a bit less than that, especially if the displacement is smaller.

displacement: 1496cc (the other 1ZZ-F* have been only 1.8L or 1.6L)
    motor: 68ps/40.8kgm
    peak HP: 77ps/5000rpm
    peak torque: 11.7kgm/4200rpm
    cost: 2150KÂ¥

THS III (3)

a translation attempt:
    2008, we will see the third "hybrid competition" between Toyota and Honda. The Prius has been taking the lead in terms of engineering and number sold. In addition to the Civic and the Accord, Honda has decided to include the Fit into the competition. It is very likely that it will be sold one year after the model change, but it will coincide with the opening of the new factory in Yoriya, Saitamsa, where they will be building the new Acura Japan.The Fit Hybrid will be using the same IMA system used with the Civic hybrid, but the 1.3L+motor will be the same as the Insight. The production for the Insight has finished earlier than planned, and since the new model will most likely be scheduled with the new factory, there will be 1.5 years where we will not see the car.

The Fit Hybrid will use the compact Nickel H battery and light engine. With this combination and CVT, the gas mileage should reach 35-38km/L. Honda's next goal is pricing. CEO, Fuikui has mentioned that he intend to keep the Hybrid Fit within 20,000Â¥ more than the normal trims, which means that it will cost 2,000,000Â¥ at the most.

The Prius, which is dominating the Hybrid market, is sold at an average of 2,500,000Â¥, and the 2008 model will most likely be unable to go below 2,000,000Â¥. It will most likely break the incredible 40km/L, so the price competition will be something to watch.

The 2008 Prius will undergo a full model change and will use the newly improved THSIII system. It will run completely on battery in the city, so there will most likely use the expensive LithiumIon battery used in cell phones. They will still aim to keep the price low and ….

Toyota aims to sell in the order of 1,000,000 Hybrid units by 2012, so they plan to release 8 passenger minivans and sports cars.

The platform which was specifically for the Prius will finally be branched out to others for the next generation.

The high class Prius called the SAI will appear with an elaborate design and features.

SAI's targets are the プログレ and the プレビズ and will cost more than 3,000,000Â¥. It is still unknown whether it will be called the SAI, but the 2.4L 4+motor combination will produce the same power as the upcoming Estima Hybrid. 4WD is highly possible.

Other than the SAI, Toyota plans to produce hybrids of large vehicles such as the Crown and the Land Cruiser. Honda may still have much to catch up, but producing the popular Accord, Civic, and Fit is a positive start. How will the next round result?

16. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    All:

The magzine is a very credible one in Japan. See the attached photo.
    Nushrike, the width is 1745mm not 1145mm.
    "215" is the price in Japan. 2150K yens ~= $20K U.S.

See the 40km/l? The Insight was rated 36km/l in Japan. Just for comparison.
    The one on the right is the next Honda Fit Hybrid rated at 38km/l (not sure if it is coming to US).
    The small table at the middle left shows the comparison of both in power, price and dimensions.

17. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Those are definitely the butt-ugliest wheels I've seen on a production car . . . or even a concept car for that matter.

I think a monkey draping tin foil over a blank wheel could create a more esthetically pleasing design. :huh:

Those things look like they were designed for a pimped-out Roman chariot and would probably produce an equally harsh, bumpy ride.

18. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ceric @ May 11 2006, 03:26 PM) [snapback]253347[/snapback]</div>
    I have an opposite impression about the magazine.

Ken@Japan

19. sabujo

sabujo New Member

Very nice design. Love those headlights... Hope the wheels do not come in that form.

If this model really comes with the NiCd batteries, then I will replace my car by 2008.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What's the white car on the top left of the magazine? It looks pretty good.

as for engine, why would Toyota use the ZZ engine? I thought it was old and they're discontinuing it? I know the new Corolla will most likely have a 2.0 litre engine (with a bigger engine for the XRS) but wouldn't it make more sense to have a new 2.0 litre engine than simply a bored out version of the 1.8?

If the new Prius doesn't get any heavier, I don't see why the current NZ engine won't be sufficient. Raise the max rpm another by another 500rpm, put variable valve on the exhaust valve and perhaps direct injection if costs can be kept low.