1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

News Story Stalling Prius'

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by momstoys, Jun 1, 2005.

1. momstoys

momstoys New Member

The news has been quick to jump on the problem of stalling in the Prius but lacks details. Does this happen only in one geographic area? Using certain octane gas? VIN no's.? Ambient Temp? Does the car restart after stalling? Any other details (need some reassurance) that tell me my Prius is immune to the problem? (NW Mich)

2. GSpozars

GSpozars New Member

The problem was first reported on National news, weeks ago. Toyota has had a "software fix" for 2004 models and some 2005 models since earlier this year. As reported, 33 Prius with reported problems out of 88, 000 sold is a very, very small percentage.

3. sparkymarvin

sparkymarvin Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Maybe it's just me, but I love it when my motor turns off.

4. jtmhog

jtmhog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Engine shutting off at highway speeds is unsat!! 33 out of 88,000 doesn't matter--fix the problem!! Hard to believe that Toyota sold 88,000 units that may have a software glitch. Sounds like a problem GM would have. Sales at GM And Ford continue to go down.

5. Blue-Adept

Blue-Adept Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    33 out of 88000 is .000375%

Millitary Radar caused Lexus vehicles to stall in alaska and ca. Maybe something simular.

Could be a fluke. We don't know the details of each issue. They could have bad gas for all we know.

I owned a 1996 Eagle Talon that would stall at any speed. It must have stalled 100 to 200 times. They never could fix it. Chrysler bought the car back.

Blue

6. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not sure that is an issue. I live at Ft. Bliss and get blasted by radar all the time from the air defense artillery units in the field and classes next to my office from some very powerful stuff and have not had a problem.

7. bobc

bobc New Member

Tadashi,

Just wondering if you've had problems with your eyes twitching.... :wink:

8. jsorger

jsorger New Member

Unfortunately the number is most likely much higher than 33.
    Many of us who were not traveling at 'high highway speeds' never reported the problem to anyone but the dealer, who performed the software flash. I doubt that they report such things to the Feds, as they took very little info from me.

9. SDiego

SDiego New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well mine is a 4-05 Production, and sometimes I wonder if it's worth a phone call to the dealer to see if there is any updates that can be done, to prevent any of this. You would think they might now by producion dates if it is the latest or not.

Ron

10. outoftown

outoftown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I had repeated stall problems with my 2001. The first time it had to be towed. I don't think the problem with the stalls was reported as much with the first generation because of the 3 year all maintenance included for free deal. The software glitch happened at least three times to me that I can recall and a couple of times when my wife was driving, including instances after taking it back to different dealers more than once to address this issue. The most embarassing moment was trying to leave a restaurant parking lot when the car went completely dead with other relatives in another car behind us. I had to wave them around and wait awhile to reboot. I thought the software glitch was an issue of the 1st generation and was surprised when my first 2004 experienced a similar lock down and limp home mode problem, which we were able to drive to the dealer with the exclamation mark showing on the LCD without significant loss of speed. The later 2004 I bought did not have any problems like this and so far we've had it almost a year with 16k miles without a glitch.

I think Toyota is only at fault for not notifying owners of the potential problem, and for not mentioning the need to drive or coast to a safe place, wait and reboot (restart) as a solution, which heretofore, has never been thought of as a way to get a car moving again, then get to the dealer ASAP for a software check or reload. There wouldn't be as many upset customers because most people don't realize this kind of problem has to be dealt with like your DirecTV receiver or your home PC instead of your old ICE car. Toyota should have realized this could be a problem from the complaint feedback on Hertz Prius rentals.

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wow! Talking about vague.

Are there some details you'd like to share?

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would guess that Toyota is all over this. I see the Prius as the Beta or Gamma test bed. They have been aggressive at fixing problems and I would guess will continue to be so. Toyota does not want bad press about the Prius and has a history of going above and beyond with the Prius. I am going to follow the Ford Escape. I expect (hope) that they will be equally aggressive, only because both of my Grandfathers knew " Old Henry" and worked for him. I would like to see the Ford Hybrid do well.

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The dealer where my husband works goes above and beyond. He found out today that the Prius Techs quietly check the VIN of any Prius that comes through and find out whether it may be at risk for this problem, and flash the computer while the oil is being changed if the vehicle is within VIN range. How about that? No wonder they haven't heard of any stalls. Now if only ALL dealers would have that kind of initiative.

14. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    nice to hear... but i'd still want to be informed if they "quietly" check my VIN and Flash the computer, or whatever else they'd be doing or have done to my car! :wink:

15. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, i meant without interrupting the guy who's changing your oil and rotating your tires. less distractions leads to good car care :)

i imagine it's on the invoice. i couldn't tell ya. i don't work there! haha

16. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I don't care if it's 3 or 300,000. If there is a issue that can cause this problem then Toyota should let the owners know immediately and fix the problem.

So...is there a problem?
    Is it a software problem?
    Is it a mechanical issue?
    Is there a fix?
    What VIN numbers are affected?

If there is a fix it should be announced and made available immediately. If one person is hurt or dies because this wasn't done then Toyota is no better than the scum at Ford that thought the Pinto gas tank would be just fine.

17. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I think the point is there is very little more than anecdotal information at this point. No hard data. Toyota hasn't found anything yet, and there is little more than 33 (or 13, depending on the reports) people complaining. It could be as simple as cars running out of gas, or there could be a hardware issue, or a software bug. With so few incidents over however many million miles prius' have traveled it's a tough job to find a common thread.
    BTW, I've searched the NTSB web site and there is very little information there either.

18. prius04

prius04 New Member

Just thought I'd let you know because while the media is paying so much attention to 35 Prii, you might miss this about the 2 million GM cars recalled just this past April and May.

.......In April and May, GM recalled more than 2 million vehicles to fix a variety of potential safety defects, the latest setback for the automaker following its $1.1 billion loss in the first quarter.......

http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/03/Autos/gm_recall.reut/

Or how about this?

...The NHTSA reports there have been nearly two dozen crashes attributed to this problem....

http://www.14wfie.com/Global/story.asp?S=3...85&nav=3w6oZOG9

There are 2 threads going on right now on Priuschat on this topic. I'll put this in the other one too.

19. Dr.Jay

Dr.Jay New Member

35 out of 88,000??? Probably wouldn't be too bad but news said Fed Gov is investigating 75,000 mfg'd from 2004 to 2005 (link on www.MSNBC.com).
    Be interesting to hear what VIN's are at risk and what the prob really is.
    Don't know 'bout anyone else but I don't think I want the service dept flashing the car without my knowing.

20. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hm, guess you can't make everyone happy.... so i'll just stop trying to spread news of people who are trying ot make a difference.

and to clarify, i just read the article and i think they meant that the govt is investigating the 04s and 05s, and the total number of such cars in the us is around 75,000.

i'd like to see the cost of evaluating 75,000 cars.

hell, i'd like to see anyone get their hands on that many prii.