1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newsweek Green & Mean (hybrids)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by NiMHPrius, Nov 16, 2004.

1. NiMHPrius

NiMHPrius New Member

From Newsweek (online)

"Nov. 22 issue - Avnish Bhatnagar has always lusted after fast cars like racy BMWs. But when the California computer programmer and his wife had their first baby this year, they needed something more practical. A minivan was out of the question. So Bhatnagar, 35, searched online and found an SUV with neck-snapping speed and enough room for the baby stroller. What is this souped-up SUV? A Lexus RX 400h gas-electric hybrid. That's right. A hybrid. Those quirky cars that run on batteries as well as gasoline. But this hybrid is no golf cart. It packs 270 horsepower, making it one of the fastest cars in the Lexus lineup. Oh, and it goes 500 miles on a tank of gas and doesn't foul the air. He'll have to be patient, because the 400h doesn't go on sale for five months. For now, Bhatnagar will just have to dream of that electric power surge as he leaves other drivers in the dust. "If the 400h had less horsepower," he says, "I'd be far less interested in it." "............

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6479959/site/newsweek/

2. krooster1234

krooster1234 New Member

It's sad that this is where the majority of hybrid developement is going... higher power with diminishing returns for improved gas mileage.... I'll never understand the whole "gotta get to 60mph in under 6 seconds" mentality.

Are hybrids really a win for environmentalists if the mentality of the average American consumer hasn't changed? So now our cars will get slightly better gas mileage, and will be faster, and we'll have some extra years before oil runs out and global warming will be slowed ever so slightly.... but really, if the mentality of the population doesn't change from "I need more power for the same cost in gasoline!" to "how can my decisions as a consumer make this world a better place now and for future generations?", then hybrid technology will merely delay the inevitable.

Until hybrids are embraced for their positive impact on the world as a symbol of using new technology to selflessly benefit humanity, nothing will really change. I'm sorry but getting 30/37 MPG in an accord is NOT impressive when you consider that all they have to do is bump the car down to like 200HP or less and it would get way better mileage. Same probably goes for the new Lexus SUV. If you're adding MORE power to a car by making it a hybrid at the expense of mileage, you are making me sad :(

I'm just waiting for the 450hp accord that gets 18/23 MPG. Now that would make our world a better place for sure...

End rant.

3. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(krooster1234\";p=\"50915)</div>
    "My you-know-what is bigger than your you-know-what", is more important to people than a few low lying islands in the Pacific, a species of animals here and there, or a few feet of submerged shore line.

4. NiMHPrius

NiMHPrius New Member

Scientists have found that the brain is made up of three layers. The first is the Reptilian; the second built on top of the first is mammalian and the third cerebral built on top of the mammalian all form our mental nature.

The Reptilian is the predator (100 million years old). It is concerned with:
    Can I eat it?
    Should I ignore it?
    Should I run away from it?

The Mammalian is protector and gatherer (1 million years old). It is concerned with:
    Who’s the leader?
    Which group do I belong to?
    We will survive together.

The Cerebral ( 100,000 years old) is concerned:
    Who am I?
    Where am I?
    How will we live?
    What is my purpose?

It turns out that out of the three brains car purchasing is governed by the Reptilian mind. We look for a car that says, “If you want to fight, I can fight. But you will die." You may have some intellectual responses (price, economy), but the strongest of all is the "reptilian" response: It's about survival and all that entails, including sex.

NiMPrius

5. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I'm going to completely agree with krooster's post. Well said! It is sad that more is always better. That mentality has us in this mess and will enventually lead to our demise. 'More' is finite. Where does 'more' come from when it's all gone (survival resources, etc.) I really think we as a human species won't get it (conservation) until it's too late. And the clock ticks...

PS I'm actually waiting for the hybrid Hummer. Now that's evolution...NOT!

6. T_S_Kimball

T_S_Kimball Ambassador from Uru

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm curious. The 04-05 Prius, to me, is really cool looking and strikes a much deeper chord in me than any SUV. This includes ones like OutBack/Forrester, which are very similar in layout to the current Prius (I know since my father has owned an Outback for some time).

I wonder if this is in part due to my early immersion in technology, and perhaps avid reading of Science Fiction. I think of the Prius as a really cool tech toy as much as it is an efficient car.

--TSK

7. SyZyGy

SyZyGy New Member

Probably people today think that cars like the prius are no fun to drive because they think its slow. Thats total bs. Someone needs to educate those people.

8. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

your can bet your left front tire that he'll complain about the poor mileage that hybrids get too.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    its funny that this guy had to have a car with 270 horses. i be willing to bet that he based his decision on his perception of hybrid technology and not reality.

i cant tell you how many people i have driven that thought my car would be slow and were pleasantly surprised at its very smooth and deceptive power.