1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NewTires, differnt size?

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by fuelsipper, Dec 2, 2005.

1. fuelsipper

fuelsipper New Member

Only 16,000 on the Factory tires, which are not at all good in wet weather in our experience.
    Called the tire shops around town and was told that a 190/60/15 would work better than the existing tire size.
    Of course that is the size they have in stock of a Yokahama wet weather tire.

The tire shop said a 190 is 1/4 inch wider. Not a problem, right?

2. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not a problem and as a matter of fact i'll be putting 195/60/15 next.

195mm wide / 117mm thick (195 x 0.60) / 15" diamater

205/60/15 wouldn't be a bad either either, but it might slightly hurt mpg while increasing grip. I'm not sure if they even fit on the Prius rim though.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ask them to tell you what the revolutions per mile of the different sizes are in the type of tire you are interested in. The Goodyear Integrity 185/65-15 is 855 rev/mi. In some types of tire the 205/60-15 comes closer, usually the 195/60 is a little smaller in circumference (i.e. more rev/mi) and the 205/60 is a little larger than the stock 185/65. The 205 would put a little more tire on the road, 2 cm wider than stock, so it would handle and stop a little bit better but most likely not enough to be noticeable.

Information such as rev/mi are available for a lot of tires at tirerack.com just click on specs for the tire you want.

EDIT: I just noticed your from Oregon, go to Les Schwab and take a look at the Toyo Proxis TPT. They come in all 3 sizes (185/65, 195/60, and 205/60). I think I am going to use them in size 205/60-15, there should be absolutely no problem with clearance with that size.

4. fuelsipper

fuelsipper New Member

Eastern Oregon? Maybe big knobbys for the snow? Joseph must be snowed in by now.

Thanks for the tip on Les Schwab, I will check it out,

Eric in suthe'n Oregon

5. fuelsipper

fuelsipper New Member

Tumblweed,

Those Proxis tires are NOT cheap. $115 each at LEs's place.

Think I will go with the ones from Costco, Bridgestone Teranzas, $78 each

6. robbid

robbid New Member

What is working to improve traction in snow? On a moderate uphill grade in a small amount of wet snow, the car was helpless. Very different from other compact front-wheel drive cars I have had.
    Is anyone using studded snow tires?
    Robbid - Portland, Maine

7. fuelsipper

fuelsipper New Member

We just put a set of the Nokian WR's on, and yes, they REALLY grip on wet roads.
    Slush? Great! Here in Oregon we get a bit of that stuff, not like Maine of course. But these are spendy tires, ran $460 for the set.
    Like I said, a gigantic difference in handeling and traction..o. the down side. Can't tell for sure how much yet, but getting slightly lower milage..but can LIVE with that,
    www.nokiantires.com, their site
    Eric

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Nokian's have a great reputation. Just went to their web site, looks to me like you made a good choice. Let us know how they work out on ice and snow etc.

9. fuelsipper

fuelsipper New Member

Tumbleweed, Going to Arizona for the winter.

..Just kidding!

I will let you know how thy perform,

Eric in Medford