1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Next Gen Dashboard Talks To The Cloud

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by DarrenG, Nov 30, 2009.

1. DarrenG

DarrenG Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wired.Com Article.

The image accompanying the article is a GENIII Prius with modified dash.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From the above link, very interesting.

3. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    From the photo it seems you have to lose your rear seat headrests and both front seats to make room, I guess, for all those added electronics. ;)

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very cool! It'll work better than the snowflake icon lol.

Road conditions for the road up ahead would be pretty good. We might even be able to avoid a huge pile up if cars are warned earlier and the driver starts slowly down before he sees the collision up ahead.

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now that I have had time to read this through I wonder, will the system work in remote areas? I know I go plenty of places I have no phone coverage even though I have the best connectivity on the best network in Australia on my mobile phone.
    So will this "Cloud" have limited coverage or will it evolve into a satellite type global coverage?

I also can see tracking companies loving this, both legitimate and unscrupulous tracking systems will be able to check the movements of a vehicle, that might not be good but as for car thieves, look out!!

6. DarrenG

DarrenG Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is just another 'connected' service. Unless it also offers true mesh connectivity (where vehicles can talk to each other direct without other infrastructure) then it would require network connectivity.

TomTom's LIVE service and the recently demised DASH Navigation device offer similar features as regards traffic conditions, road works etc.