1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Next-Gen Ford Fusion Could Get Up to 48 MPG City

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Next-Gen Ford Fusion Could Get Up To 48 MPG City – Gas 2.0
    Ford Inside News: Ford Planning Product Blitz for Q1 2012
    Ford Gets Its Prius: C-Max to be Hybrid Only – Gas 2.0

If the Fusion achieves 47-48mpg, then that means the C-Max could actually have a chance at matching the Prius MPG.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Keep in mind this Chris DeMorro of gas 2.0 is the guy who put together the piece that we criticized at Editorial: A Blind Squirrel Finds His Nut | PriusChat.

I find it funny that he mentions GM and Nissan. GM still has yet to put out anything w/combined mileage anywhere close to the Prius. Nissan is dropping the NAH and has no gasoline powered cars or hybrids w/mileage anywhere close to the Prius. Their econoboxes aren't segment leaders in fuel economy either.

It will be interesting to see if the next FFH gets a city EPA rating that high (due to good optimization for the test) and then to see how it does in real world/other testing. Per http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm, current FFH is rated 41 city/36 highway, 39 combined vs. HyCam's 31/35, 33 combined. Yet at http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ce/most-fuelefficient-cars/overview/index.htm, their results were comparable.

3. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  4. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ford got it backwards. The Prius gets 51 city, 48 highways and 50 combined. If Ford is able to build a Fusion that can match the combined MPG of the Prius, the Prius will still be the king of MPG because the Prius C will get even better mileage than the regular Prius.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We'll see if Ford Inside News ends up being right and again, it'll be interesting to see how it does in the real world or other tests. To quote from http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-h...ind-squirrel-finds-his-nut-3.html#post1285270
    edit: After doing some digging, I found the correct link for the above admission. It's at http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums...istens-to-Rush-Limbaugh..&p=226745#post226745.

6. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good heavens that was painful to read. How can the author not even know his subject matter?

I've said it before; more MPG with gas where it is now are more for bragging rights than anything else. If you drive 18k/year in a Prius with 50 mpg and $4 gas you're only spending $120/month. Even if it did 70 mpg you save only $35/month, hardly very much, and remember that's a fairly high 18,000 miles/year. This all due to the mathematics of the situation and increasing MPG having exponentially less relevance as it goes up. What we need today are lower costs and larger/faster hybrids.

We'll keep seeing better MPG, as we see better HP in cars, but cost reduction and other features while keeping MPG similar are of great interest to me and I think others.

I'm glad to see Ford chomping at the heels, though, competition will help us all out here.

7. harshcougar

harshcougar New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's why I'm sayin'.

And you Prius guys are so much fun to poke. The only people I enjoy poking more are the Pajamas Media conservative pundits <3. :D

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Eight-speed E-CVT. LOL. The guy who wrote it did not understand what he was reading from the original source.

9. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In the immortal words of Bush "Our children isn't learning."

1 person likes this.
  10. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

FFH might top Prius, but next TCH will top that with 80 MPG.

You heard it first here folks. Top chief just told me that info.
    Me and Toyoda go way back, used to nip at the saki bottle together.

11. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like you have been nipping today. ;)

1 person likes this.
  12. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, oxymoron alert. The two terms conflict with each other, like Congressional Ethics.

13. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like to do Google news searches for "Prius" a. to keep up with shiznit and b. cause I'm a dork.

I found this on the Reuters site and was flummoxed beyond what was reasonable. Beyond what was reasonable because after a certain amount of exposure to the internet, you feel as though no scandal will be too racy for you to handle, no gore too gruesome to see.

But this...seeing this guy somehow making it onto Reuters talking about an 8-speed e-CVT, well...just flummoxed, I tell you.

You know, honestly, it doesn't matter sometimes what Toyota does, it doesn't matter how well we defend the car online, in the end, someone always knows that they have a car that can "beat" the Prius. Everyone drives a 30-year-old beatup piece of crap and gets better mileage than Prius drivers. It says so right on the Internet, and Chris DeMorro wrote it.

</rant>

Now, as for actual content :) I would be very happy to see more manufacturers sell something that lets people get 50 mpg, the guy who wrote it and marketing aside, this is good news.

2 people like this.
  14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am shocked that you're right. Reuters did pick up his "story". It's up right now at Next-Gen Ford Fusion Could Get Up to 48 MPG City | Reuters. Sigh... (The Reuters version still has the mistakes that he's since fixed on gas 2.0, e.g. "51 mpg highway".)

It appears they've picked up at least one of his other previous stories.

15. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Chris. :) I figured you would be in here shortly. lol I liked your C-Max article as well.

16. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

when it comes to FCH, i think it is telling that they expect 50% better sales... and it has sold 5k up until April.... If FCH was to bring some crazy gas mileage close to the Prius, it certainly would not sell 2k per month while Prius sells 15k-20k.

17. tomlouie

tomlouie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I love all the weaselly wishy-washy phrases in the title: "Next-Gen ...", "... could get ...", "... up to ..."

That's like saying: "My paycheck next year could be as high as $100M."

18. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The relationship is an inverse one, not an exponential one. Admittedly, not as painful to mathematicians as 'lowest common denominator'. :)

19. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think it's inversely exponential :) You save half as much money going from 50 mpg to 100 mpg (50 mpg increase) as you did going from 25 mpg to 50 mpg (merely 25 and yet more impactful).

20. DickPhillips

DickPhillips Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    There are some cars out there that do get good mileage, at least part of the time. My wife's 2001 VW TDI New Beetle with its automatic tranny will get 48mpg on road trips while my brother's 2003 w/stick shift has gotten as high as 57. But ours in average around town driving falls back to around 30 - 32mpg. and the Beetlejuice (diesel fuel) it uses is higher priced than regular gasoline, at least here.

I have wondered why Toyota didn't pair a diesel engine with the hybrid system for maximum economy.