1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Next Gen4 Prius Plug-In in 2014

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ken1784, Dec 12, 2009.

1. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A Japanese newspaper reported the next Gen4 Prius is coming in calender year 2014 and the plug-in version is also coming at the same time.

Nikkan Automobile Newspaper
    GAZOO.com:Next Gen4 Prius Plug-In in 2014

The Gen4 Prius PHV will have lower cost of Li-ion battery than the Gen3 Prius PHV for fleet, and the battery capacity will be user selectable for short or long EV range.

Ken@Japan

3 people like this.
  2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is very interesting. Gen4 coming in late 2014 as 2015 model?

I wonder what they considered short or long EV range.

3. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dennis,
    No one is for sure now, I think.
    However, hope this news is helpful for your life plan for the next few years. :)

Ken@Japan

4. Cacti

Cacti Poleikleng

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    translated to English

2009/12/11 Daily Automotive News 1508 characters per page

Toyota is targeting the mass-market full-fledged plug-in hybrid vehicles (PHV), and year 2014 to market prospect. At the same time promote a low-cost lithium-ion battery powered, and users can select a distance to run on electric only, aimed at consumers can buy pricing. The company is environmentally friendly fuel cell vehicles as future vehicles (FCEV) and electric vehicles (EV) has been regarded as the time being, hybrid-electric engine combined (HV) and, HV electrical distance can be extended from PHV realistic to believe that. Ease PHV are also considering charging a non-contact method for you.
    The company is currently in mid-month "Prius" in Japan PHV-based leasing of 200 units. 150 units abroad in the United States, 100 units in Europe to France, Britain to introduce a total of 150 units, including Portugal. 12 years, California ZEV (Kuru Zeroemisshonbi) to respond to regulatory, type in the United States increased the capacity of about 16,000 batteries sold in 1000 to plan to sell in Japan and Europe.
    Aims to introduce the mass-14 full-scale PHV-year target period is based on the Prius to the next. Lithium-ion batteries because of high cost, large type and small type two cell types provide a degree, that you are considering how to choose depending on the car. Pricing aimed at general users can purchase a combination of subsidies to purchase environmentally friendly vehicles. Body size and different types of vehicles also promote multiple PHV.
    Toyota is using HV current nickel-metal hydride batteries batteries for driving. Increasing the PHV in electric-only mileage, equipped with high-performance lithium-ion batteries. Lithium-ion batteries, the high cost disadvantage compared to that of nickel-metal hydride batteries, future technology and productivity, reduce costs significantly.
    The company substantially EV PHV positioned close to the HV, PHV promote the two motorized vehicles for responding to global warming and energy problems in the introduction. PHV is, HV compared to carbon dioxide from vehicles (CO2) emissions and low emissions. Can ensure such a range is the same HV, HV and EV features have the advantages of having more.

2 people like this.
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Ken, I hope you're working on an upgraded super mid for it already, as well as obtaining warmer thermostats, too!
    ;)

6. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure, my SuperMID series are almost ready for Gen3 Prius.
    I'll try to inform some CAN message analysis soon. :)
    (I already post one)
    Unfortunately, the Gen3 thermostat comes with the housing combined, therefore it's now not a generic spare parts. :(

Ken@Japan

[​IMG]
    Copyright by San-eishobo publishing Co., Ltd.
    [​IMG]
    Copyright by Toyota Motor Corp.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ken,

It is very helpful. My 06 will be 8 years old with 250k miles by then. Very good timing. :D

Your SuperMID looks good especially running double. Can you make them stack on top of one another? I can't wait to see what kind of info it will be able to display.

I see you have the side window deflector. When I was in Japan, I noticed 95% of all the cars and taxi have them. In the US, I see 5% of the cars have them. Quite opposite.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very nice. So they expect a normal 5 year life cycle then. It'll probably arrive in the US as a 2015 model. Thanks Ken!

9. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Any predictions for 2020 then? :D

"Lithium tri=polymer HSD3 quad-capacitor double-plug-in biodiesel hybrid" :cool:
    "Toyota. Fossil fuels were so yesterday."

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  11. wintechsw

wintechsw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota are certainly in no hurry to release the next model Prius. I would have thought that 5 years is a very, very long time in today's age to go to the next generation. I think we will see a completely different marketplace even in 3 years time, with a multitude of vendors offering all sorts of different models and configurations.

Meanwhile down here in Oz, Prius sales are decreasing:

Jul 09 446 units (Month of release)
    Aug 09 295
    Sep 09 298
    Oct 09 284
    Nov 09 275

These sales figures are, in my mind, due solely to the price gouging that Toyota Australia has inflicted on Aussie motorists - with price increases of AU$8000 from the Gen2 price levels for the top-of-the-range model.

I bought a brand-spanker Gen2 for a $7500 discount back in Jul 09 at the time of the Gen3 release. My previous Gen2 is running around as a Taxi as this time. The buyer flew to my city and drove it back home 3500km. My original Gen2 purchase was a dubious economically justifiable decision at the time I bought as many PC-ers have attested. The higher new Oz pricing made the Gen3 a no-brainer, no-way for me.

I look forward to eventually replacing my Prius in about 3 years time maybe with something else other than a Toyota.

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Toyota AU can only sell what is delivered. It is the same in the USA. I suspect our friends in Japan are getting the lions share of Prius, as they should!

In the USA, Ford is working hard to make a viable hybrid and by every indication, doing as well as can be expected. The problem is everyone is traction battery limited ... except GM who is imagination limited.

This evening I read an SAE postcard about the "22nd Annual Automotive Outlook Converence", Jan 10, 2010, Detroit, Michigan.

Confirmed Speakers

• Bob Lutz, GM's Global Marketing Chief
    • John McElroy, Host of Autoline Detroit
    • Neil De Koker
    They might as well have a conference about automotive futures and the feature speaker will be "Mr. Dino Saurer." After all, it is a dino drip that keep his vision ... not dead, yet.

Bob Wilson

13. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not only that, but doesn't Australia have some pretty high import duties?

If so, perhaps the domestically built Camry Hybrid which has started rolling off the lines will be priced better in Australia.

I'm surprised that with Australia already showing significant affects from climate change, the government there isn't pushing more to reduce fossil fuel consumption - especially since they are one of the worst in per-capita carbon emissions.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I highly doubt it. The US gets the lionshare hence minimal wait times for you Americans. Japan has a waiting list that's nearly 7 months long. Someone in Japan here ordered around Aug and his ETA at that time was Feb-Mar.

15. wintechsw

wintechsw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

16. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Toyota is selling twice as many Priuses per month in Japan than the US, so allocation isn't it. It's been that way since the launch of the Gen3.

With the exchange rate the way it is, it's probably better for Toyota to keep more in Japan and trim down that backlog of orders.

17. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Must be the effect of high fuel prices in Japan, combined with the generous Government purchase incentives.

What is the average price of gasoline in Japan?

18. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota in their presentation used 130 yen/liter which is about $5.70 a gallon. Japanese also don't typically drive as fast as Americans or Europeans.

19. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This is going to save Japan significant amounts of money from foreign oil over the next five years. Toyota is very smart in delivering the lion's share to the waiting lists in their own country. And I don't blame them. Anyone would do that. I just wish they could triple their capacity and take care of North America and Australia also. (we will triple our iPhone production and take care of our Japanese friends also :D)

20. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe the biggest hold up is Panasonic on the batteries and they are supposed to increase nimh production early next year. Ford is building a plant for battery production for hybrids. It would be nice if they sourced an American company like jci for Lithium batteries and did the final assembly here if panasonic can not ramp up for the pihv.