1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Next Generation Of Toyota Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JerzyPriusDriver, Nov 19, 2006.

1. JerzyPriusDriver

JerzyPriusDriver New Member

So, what would you like to see for the next generation of the Prius.

For myself, it would be...

Several battery packs mated together
    Plug-in capability
    E85 compatibility (at least for the US market)
    No more leather trim (maybe woodtrim options?)
    A wheel skirt (like the insight)
    Solar cell paint job to maintain battery charge when idle
    A sunroof perhaps

Also, since the engineers managed to get the second gen Prius to get higher fuel economy figures, despite being moved up from the compact to the midsize category and having a greater HP engine, you think it is time for the Prius to become a fullsize, or should it stay in the midsize.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think the Prius will be spun off to a completely new brand from Toyota like the Scion and yes, it will come in a 100 mpg, 75 mpg (upgrading the current model and a 45 mpg full size version along with the mini-van and plug in versions for each.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That would be pretty cool, Dave. A Prius Commuter, Prius Regular, and a Prius Family Edition.

4. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think the Prius will be spun off to a completely new brand from Toyota like the Scion and yes, it will come in a 100 mpg, 75 mpg (upgrading the current model and a 45 mpg full size version along with the mini-van and plug in versions for each.

5. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Is there an echo in here?

:p :p :p

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm.... strange...

have a hard time believing that i was not involved in the echo....but, i guess i have to say that ....ummm....well, i didnt MEAN to do it.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Personally, I do not want a larger Prius. The present size is perfect. But I want PHEV60. I'd even be happy with PHEV30. (I'd seriously consider the EDrive Systems conversion if they were actually doing it.)

But what I really want is an EV. Then I'd use the Prius for those 1% of my trips that are too long for the EV. Damn General Motors to hell and may their executives all come down with boils like Job.

8. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I want a plug!

I want a PHEV30 but make with "Nanosafe" batteries. They are lithium-ion, that have a nano-constructed graphite that separates the anode and cathode. Because of this the charging and discharging of the battery causes very little heat. There is no run-a-way explosion possible. Due to the limited electron heating the battery lasts years longer. It can operate very high and low temperatures. It can be charged fully in 10 min. I would charge it from solar on the roof of my house. I could go to and from work with one or two small errands, and never have to start the ICE all week. When I do have to go on a long trip, the ICE would be there ready to go.

The biggest thing I would like to see is a change to the synergy drive. It has a mechanical limitation of 34 mph maximum on EV. The motor is fully capable of pushing the Prius to speeds of 70 plus MPH right now. That is what the motor is rated for, but because of the gearing the engine has to kick in to prevent the synergy drive from spinning at very high speeds. I don't want the synergy drive to go away altogether but I would like to see EV all the way to 55, or 60 MPH at a minimum.

I love this car the way it is, but the small battery pack, lack of a plug and the limitation of the EV mode are my biggest complaints.

How about a better synergy drive system with a plug on every car, and letting us pick the size of our battery packs for an additional fee like any other options. However the battery packs should be expandable so later you don’t have to trade out what you already purchased, you could just add on.

Oh, and a height adjustable seat that will go lower then the current one would be nice too.

9. GeronimoPFudgemuffin

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

11. GeronimoPFudgemuffin

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 20 2006, 05:35 AM) [snapback]352016[/snapback]</div>
    You are wrong, and demonstrably so. Also, check your Fruit-Of-The-Looms as you may have a pine cone in your shorts. At least you type as if you do. Sounds as if you've had a bad experience with the tecnique and have thrown the baby out with the bath water. But in the spirit of sharing, consider this...

Yes, it is very possible to make a big traffic mess with P&G. However, if you've tried it and had it suffer from you above-mentioned problems, then you haven't thought it through.

Of course, I'm pretty sure you already know the basic P&G, otherwise, how could it bug you so? But you need to admit to yourself that there's more to learn about it than you now know. I P&G right down the main street of my town and no one ever knows it. The smart-aleck thing for me to say would be, "Come to South Carolina and I'll show you how to do it." But far be it from me to say that.

Yes, there are some traffic patterns and flows that do not allow a safe, neighborly P&G. What that's the case, I don't do it. But I get plenty of opportunity to use the tecnique and my LMPG is 62+. Others have higher, but that's pretty good for me. More important than the numbers is the fact that I P&G and don't get in anyone's way.

GeronimoPFudgemuffin

12. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Photochromic Glass Tint - Would like to see a dealer option in the future for photochromic glass tint to respond quickly to changing light conditions, darken in bright light and lighten in dim light, up to the lawfully allowed amount of tint.

13. kevinwhite

kevinwhite Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeronimoPFudgemuffin @ Nov 19 2006, 08:23 PM) [snapback]351939[/snapback]</div>
    Do you realize that the current Prius already does that?

It runs the engine at full throttle (or very nearly) at all times and varies the power by operating the engine at the RPM that generates the necessary power for the current conditions. Only at low powers where the engine speed would fall below 1200RPM does the throttle close.

So at highway speeds the engine is running at the lowest speed that it can - if the CVT ratio changed to reduce the engine RPM there would not be enough power to maintain the road speed.

kevin