1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Next generation Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Spenumatsa, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Spenumatsa

Spenumatsa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  2. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hmm.. already planning a new model, huh? Anyone have any idea what improvements we might see?

3. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The 2nd Gen Prius ran for about 6 years, so this shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

And for adric22: It takes a good 3-4 years to get a car into production, maybe more with a car as complex as the Prius.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This tells me nothing. "as much as 6 years" kinda states the obvious (the Prius will be remodelled no less than 6 years from now)... well duh.

Toyota models tend to run about 5 years on average. The Prius, however, has been running on 6 (1998-2003, 2004-2009)... I just treated the Dec 1997 production as the equivalent 1998 model year as we would label it in NA.

It takes 18-24 months to get a car from design to flesh but planning takes longer. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Prius project started next year.

5. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The real news in the article is not when a 4th gen Prius will be released, but that Prius production will not occur in the U.S. UNTIL the 4th generation, which won't likely happen before 2016. Obviously by the tone of the article there was some hope of production occurring in the U.S. earlier (and possibly producing some Gen III Prii).

6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That is indeed bad, but not unexpected news. When they announced the corolla production we knew US manufacture of the prius was a long way off. IMHO that's a mistake.

There is nothing in the motor that does not look mature, unless I'm missing something. It is very straightforward. The battery on the other hand looks like it is due for a major change. Are they looking at Tesla's design? Or maybe hyundai and lg's lithium polymer. It is likely by 2016 many of the sales will be on plug in.