1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Next up for the Prius Family - The Prius t for Truck?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Now that the Prius Family is officlal and we have the Prius v to look forward to by the end of the summer, the rumormill is starting up with talk of another addition to the Prius fam: a truck. Specially, something like the A-BAT truck that Toyota first introduced as a concept back in 2008. According to Autoblog, the Advanced Breakthrough Aero Truck (A-BAT) concept explored ways of making the pickup more efficient, and employed a hybrid drivetrain, unibody construction and a more compact shape. We've already hit 38 MPG in a Prius-named varietal, so let's hope the Prius t doesn't drag the Prius line down into the 20s. View all of Toyota's A-BAT concept photos here. Source: PickupTrucks.com, via Autoblog

2. UGC

UGC Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I think the Prius family should be built and designed with these in top priority, and in this order:

1) Fuel Economy

2) Purpose

IMO, this truck doesn't look very fuel efficient. (It does look good tho)

3. luckyboy

luckyboy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't think there are any trucks out there that have a CVT or similar type transmission, probably can't handle the torque/weight.

4. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Bring back the little four cylinder TOYOTA pick up trucks! I'm all for that!

I'll still be driving a car, but I think the four cylinder trucks are a great alternative for consumers compared to the full-size gas guzzlers.

:)

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The concept looks great. If it stays nice looking and can keep the MPG in the high 30s I'd buy one! I could really use the ground clearance and the bed.

6. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Electric motors have much more torque than gasoline engines at zero rpm. I'm sure Toyota can modify the HSD to leverage this benefit. As for the transmission, perhaps certain parts could be more reinforced and stronger than other components.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Just a reminder that no Prius so far has ever had a CVT transmission, so there is little reason to suspect a Prius truck of having one either. GMs 'two mode' full size trucks use a less automated version of epicylic gearing that the Prius (and Volt) use, so it CAN be ramped up to truck sized.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epicyclic_gearing"]Epicyclic gearing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Hybrid_Cooperation"]Global Hybrid Cooperation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Synergy_Drive"]Hybrid Synergy Drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

If you insist that the HSD is a CVT, then yes, all the GM 2 mode pickups had CVTs as well.

General Motors | GM Vehicle Search | Find your Car, Truck, or SUV

8. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ground clearance is the bane of the current Prius lineup. A truck and/or AWD will be a welcome addition to the "Prius family".

9. tinaprius

tinaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Would love an awd Prius

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The only compact truck left is the Ranger. An old, but practical, design that gained a couple years more of life do to the gas price spike a couple years old. This will be its last year.

I believe fuel economy regulations may have been the death of the compact pick up. At least was another tick against keeping them. Truck mpg targets were going to be based upon the vehicle's footprint. The target climbs exponentially the smaller the foot print. So smaller trucks would have a tougher time meeting CAFE than larger. While still being usable as a truck.

Other factors were certainly involved. There's the possibility of the smaller truck competing more with the larger, and the larger likely has better profit margins. In the Ranger's case, it probably needed a redesign in order to meet safety regulations.

I think most people who want a truck would be happy with a smaller one. They aren't that fuel efficient though. Actually the current full size trucks have really improved. With a manual, the 4x2 Ranger is rated 27 on the highway. It drops to 24 with the automatic. The 2011 F150 3.7L V6 and 3.5L ecoboost match it, or are within 1 mpg.

Of course, dropping a 6 speed auto into the Ranger will give it a mpg boost. Would it be enough though for it to be a sales success? I think most truck buyers place capability over fuel efficiency. It's important, but if sticker price gets close to the larger model, and that model does a couple mpg less while being able to haul more, they'll choose the larger. Even if they don't use that extra capability, the larger truck will most likely handle the load size of the smaller truck better. It's the Insight II v. Prius arguement for truck people.

11. LeadingEdgeBoomer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    +1

But significant engineering would be required. Isn't there a technology-sharing agreement with Subaru?

12. DataWrangler

DataWrangler Prius Owner (finally!)

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  13. DataWrangler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not sure I care that much for the A-BAT styling, but I suspect that a high mpg Prius pickup would be a big seller ... IF ... it were a real pickemup and not a wannabe.

Lots of folks have a real need for a pickup ... and who realistically wouldn't want to spend less on fuel. Neither the standard Prius or the new v make an effective pickup. A Prius pickup might be a big seller ... more so if AWD :smokin:

However it begs the question? Is every new hybrid to be branded as a Prius variant?

14. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If it could maintain a reasonable amount of fuel efficiency, that would be awesome! :)

15. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, no, no, no, no.

Take a classic Toyota Tacoma. Put a HSD in it. There ya go. Is that so hard?

16. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is a diesel electric train heavy enough?
    How about Haulpack dump trucks used in mining.
    Or are you talking about toy trucks like F series utes and the like?

17. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I doubt Honda or Ford will call theirs Prius.

18. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very cool looking truck. Finally something different.

19. DataWrangler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Every new ... Toyota ... hybrid :cool:

20. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes they will. I also don't think Hino will call their hybrid truck a Prius. Hino are part of Toyota.