1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NG Emergency Generators

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by randreed, Oct 16, 2006.

1. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would like to discuss the pros and cons of using a Natural Gas (NG) Emergency Generator.

If you have one, what is your experience like? How was it installed? How much did it cost?

What is the impact of using these on the environment?

What about possibly using one of these to charge an EV?

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I do have some experience with propane generators. I worked for a power company in communications. We used propane generators for emergency power at our microwave radio sites. The smallest ones we had were 30KW, made by Onan. They use converted 6 cylinder Ford car engines. They were very dependable but as I recall also quite expensive. I don't know that we ever had any figures on emissions but I have the impression that both natural gas and propane are very clean fuels compared to petroleum liquids.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I have no experience with these generators, but certainly, unless they have effective catalytic converters, they won't be 'clean' in terms of oxides of nitrogen, unburned hydrocarbons, and carbon monoxide. So the question is, do they?

Some electric vehicles are charged from 220 VAC, some from 110. The larger generators will supply both voltages.

Great avatar Rand. I have Tinky Winky doll in the Prius - long story...

4. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rand Reed @ Oct 16 2006, 06:03 PM) [snapback]333734[/snapback]</div>
    An off-point suggestion: check out www.priups.com for a guy who uses his Prius (plus the guts from an uniniterruptable power supply, hence PRIUPS) as his whole-house backup generator. Even if you don't want to go this route, the website is pretty funny, and the concept is pretty neat. I believe he was recently profiled in the NY Times.

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    deleted

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Oct 16 2006, 06:56 PM) [snapback]333799[/snapback]</div>
    No they did not, not even the new ones. As far as I know there is no emission requirements for stationary engines, at least not in the states I worked in. Of course there are very few of these engines out there so the amount of pollution is negligible compared to other sources. Also the compression ratio was fairly low which reduces oxides of nitrogen somewhat, the other two pollutants I'm not sure about. Aren't they less in natural gas or propane engines?