1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NHTSA Wants All Keyless Ignitions to Work the Same

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Dec 10, 2011.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    NHTSA Wants All Keyless Ignitions to Work the Same - KickingTires
    Panic Stop? We’re From The Government, And We’re Here To Help

Some of the proposals should strike a chord to folks here, specifically the audible warning if you try to shutdown while not in park. Some of us Prius drivers do just that, as a shortcut.

As a side note, in my last non-hybrid (04 350Z) which had a traditional twist key, I adopted a hypermiling technique where I sometimes FAS while coasting into a parking spot and don't shift into park until I'm stopped. If I didn't coast, I'd still shut off the ICE prior to shifting to park.

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This was one of the complaints of car and driver on the toyota/lexus system, that the car took too long to shut down. This makes it take a maximum of 1 second which seems reasonable. I don't think there are many inadvertant presses of the start button of 1/2 a second or more.

Not sure what the prius does if you shut it down when going fast. If you hit park it shifts to neutral, not park. If a car indeed is shut off or park is pressed and its in neutral an audible alarm may be good. If it goes to park hopefully the nhtsa won't require the alarm.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can see the first part in the 3rd video of Luscious Garage | Blog | Floor mat anxiety?  LG TV investigates…. I've personally tried all 3 in my Prius.

If you accidentally press park while going at low speeds (at least in my 2nd gen), it does park and seems to abruptly engage the parking pawl. Yow! I've done this by accident once.