1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NHW11 Traction battery autopsy

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by oldnoah, Aug 29, 2010.

1. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As per Bob's request I've started this thread to document what I've found so far while taking apart the battery from my 2001 prius. Note that I have two batteries: one originally had a code for uneven state of charge, and it is sitting in my garage. That's the one I'm autopsying right now. The one in the car was bought used, around July 4th, and now shows code P3009, which indicates a leak from the HV circuit to ground somewhere. I realize that this thread might be confusing, since I may be switching back and forth between talking about both these batteries.

Not having formally introduced myself: I work at a company where we test new designs for fuel cells. One of the things I do is to use a megohm meter to determine how well isolated each cell is within the stack. This puts 500 volts across the dielectric, and measures how fast the charge leaks across (Basically you're charging each cell like a capacitor, and measuring the voltage across the dielectric as the cell charges).

The battery that is currently in my prius is leaking voltage, and it seems to me that the megger could find the problem pretty fast, but the problem with that is that 500 volts can burn through some components, and I'm afraid to use it on the cells in my prius battery. Does anyone have any input on this?

(Switching back to the battery that is in my garage. The one that I'm taking apart) Here's what I've got so far:

The battery has been out of service since July 4th weekend. Originally it was supposed to go back to xvipers, but he never sent the truck to pick it up, so I got it back from Toyota yesterday. Toyota didn't actually give me codes, but said that the code in question meant "uneven state of charge," which makes a lot of sense now that I've taken measurements.

I'm assuming based on these numbers that 7 volts and above are good numbers. I'd like to know what the lower limit is before it kicks back a code though.

Cell voltages:
    1 7.39 2 7.35 3 7.25 4 7.29 5 6.07 6 7.32 7 7.29 8 5.63 9 7.21 10 7.06 11 5.04 12 6.13 13 6.02 14 7.13 15 7.16 16 6 17 7.09 18 7.16 19 7.11 20 6.05 21 7.09 22 6.11 23 7.19 24 6.23 25 7.33 26 7.18 27 6.95 28 7.3 29 6.04 30 7.16 31 6.14 32 6.19 33 7.38 34 7.41 35 6.23 36 7.46 37 7.45 38 6.17
    The first thing that comes to mind here is that over half the cells have greater than 7 volts. If this is also true of the other battery that I have, would it make sense to take both of them apart and put the good cells together to make one good battery?

1 person likes this.
  2. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had cut and pasted the voltage numbers from excel. I tried to use "table tags" to create two columns of numbers, but I don't know how to do that.

Second, I've got photos, but they are too big to attach here. I'll try to shrink them down and put them in.

3. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's some photos, assuming the upload worked.

Attached Files:

4. jk450

jk450 New Member

You would be measuring between one terminal and the battery case (the sheet metal). You'll have to take one measurement between the positive terminal and the case, and then a second between the negative terminal and the case. You won't be measuring across module terminals, so there is no danger of damage if your megger current is low enough.

What kind of megger do you use?

Not necessarily. The relationship between cell voltage and state-of charge is not linear. While low modules, such as your modules in the 6-7 volt range, are almost certainly degraded, modules with "normal" voltages can just as easily be degraded. You won't know until you assemble the pack.

This fact is difficult for some folks to accept. Some time back, there was a thread in which a Gen 1 Prius owner sought advice regarding his vehicle's battery pack. The information he gave indicated that the pack was in need of replacement. Despite this, he was advised to undergo a tedious two-week process of charging and discharging the modules.

Not surprisingly, the process failed, and the guy stopped posting. So it goes.

You can try. You won't know how well it works, however, until you put the pack back in the car and drive it for some time. Sometimes it takes several months to identify a weak module.

5. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a Fluke. I don't know the model number.

If I had my way, I'd bring both battery packs to work and do tests on them there. Two common tests we do are load tests, where we can monitor the voltage in each cell as a load is applied, and a pulse test, where the load is dropped suddenly (by breaking a contactor in the load cable) and watching the voltages come back to OCV at high speed. The slope of the curve indicates the internal resistance in the cell. It would be a lot faster than load testing cells individually. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like I'll have the option of using that equipment.

6. jk450

jk450 New Member

Then it will work for your tests.

That would indeed be a nice way to test.

Load testing individual modules is better than picking modules by OCV, but in the end, the battery ECU remains the final judge.

7. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What parameters does the ECU look for? I'm looking at the battery, and I'd like to see a whole bunch of instrumentation wiring that either isn't there, or it is hidden somehow. Never mind, I found them. Looks like it only reads voltage on every other cell.

What do the white, red and green wires on top measure? Temperature?

Just dawned on me, the equipment at work can only measure 1.25 volts per cell. Wouldn't work even if I could get access to it.

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Table tags are more elegant but code tags work ok for holding formatting together.

Code:
    Cell voltages: 
    1    7.39       
    2    7.35       
    3    7.25       
    4    7.29        
    5    6.07       
    6    7.32       
    7    7.29       
    8    5.63       
    9    7.21       
    10   7.06       
    11   5.04       
    12   6.13       
    13   6.02        
    14   7.13       
    15   7.16       
    16   6       
    17   7.09       
    18   7.16       
    19   7.11 
    20   6.05       
    21   7.09       
    22   6.11        
    23   7.19       
    24   6.23       
    25   7.33       
    26   7.18       
    27   6.95       
    28   7.3       
    29   6.04       
    30   7.16       
    31   6.14        
    32   6.19       
    33   7.38       
    34   7.41       
    35   6.23       
    36   7.46       
    37   7.45       
    38   6.17      

I also charted your data and found an interesting pattern. With the exception of one cell, the cells are divided into two groups, one near 6 volts and the other near 7 volts. I don't have a clue why but found it interesting.

Attached Files:

9. jk450

jk450 New Member

When judging battery pack health, it looks for differences in state of charge. It needs to watch voltage, current, and module temperature for a period of time to do this.

Yes.

10. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah, I noticed that too. I was hoping to find a regular interval, like every 5th cell or something, but there isn't. Got to be something to do with the degradation mechanism inside the cells. Are these "cells" individual cells? Or is each cell a stack on it's own? (Goes to look up voltage of NiMH cells ) Ok, looks like each "cell" in this case is actually 5 cells in one package. So total failure of one cell would drop the voltage of the package by about 1.4 volts. That must be our mechanism. (why the cell failed is another story)

Don't see how it measures current. Is there a shunt somewhere?

I'm still just trying to get a sense of the layout here. It looks like the electronics end is pretty tightly packed. I'm afraid to take anything apart 'cause it looks like it would be pretty easy to short the full stack.

Taking voltage measurements from one end what I see is that there are two stacks of 19 cells each, measuring around 130 volts each. At midpoint there are two cells that aren't connected; instead there are cables running to the ECU end of the unit. Are these two stacks operated in parallel?

Nomenclature question: Do we have names for the two sides of the battery? The ends are easy enough, one end is the ECU. But I keep starting to type "left" and "right" and then I realize that is meaningless.

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 38 modules are in series. The cables at midpoint connect to the orange traction battery interlock. The idea is that when the interlock is removed, the connection at the center of the battery is opened up, to make the battery safer when it is being serviced.

It's still possible for you to be zapped when you touch one of the traction battery cable connections while the interlock is removed. For this to happen, the system main relay in the path to the cable connection (there are three relays, one switching the negative side and two on the positive side, one of which bypasses a current-limiting resistor) has to be stuck in the closed position and there has to be a voltage leak from a battery module to the traction battery case. Hence it is good practice to use a multimeter to make sure that you don't measure battery voltage across the terminal connections or from one terminal to the battery case. If you measure voltage to the case then you know you have a ground fault (probably due to electrolyte leakage.)

A current sensing device provides battery current information to the traction battery ECU. The ECU also monitors voltage of the 19 module pairs. If it sees that voltage of one pair is below the others, then obviously one or the other of the pair is bad and a DTC is logged which shows the location of the pair.

Given the voltage readings you logged, it seems that your battery has several modules that have failed. You'd probably be better off getting rid of all 38 modules. 2G salvage batteries could serve as an inexpensive source of replacement modules, although jk450 has raised a cautionary note about the length being slightly longer which may lead to cooling issues during normal operation, and safety issues in the event of accident impact.

Each of the 38 modules is composed of six cells. Each cell has a nominal voltage rating of 1.2V. Hence, each module has a nominal voltage rating of 7.2V, and the entire Classic battery has a nominal voltage rating of 273.6V.

Normally, the Classic traction battery voltage will be somewhere in the 300+V range (as high as 320V, for example) depending upon its state-of-charge.

12. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, the midpoint voltage split makes sense.

So the ECU measures current for the entire battery, not individual modules. That makes sense.

As far as getting rid of all 38 modules, bear in mind that I've got a whole other battery to look into. If I can take one good module from this battery and use it to fix the other (or any combination thereof) it might not cost me a cent. And right now, I don't have much cash anyway. The question I'm worried about right now is how to get the stack apart and whether the jumpers between cells need special attention. (Also more nomenclature: I see people talking about buss bars, but I don't see connections that I would call a "Buss." Are they talking about the plates that are bolted between the cell posts, which I just referred to as jumpers?)

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The busbars consist of the copper plates that fit within the long rectangular orange plastic holder, on both sides of the battery.

14. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Yes, here are the precautions:

• Electrically insulated gloves (rated for 1000 volts) must be worn.
    • Ensure that the bus bar modules are installed in the correct positions. If any of the bus bar modules are installed in the wrong location, it may cause a short circuit and may lead to severe electrical shock.
    • Do not use power tools of any kind or damage to the terminals may occur.
    • Use the Special 48 in·lbf T-handle torque wrench. Do not over-tighten the nuts beyond the torque specifications.

5.4 N·m (55 kgf·cm, 48 in·lbf)

• Wrap the ends of the tools with vinyl tape to insulate them.

I suspect my HV battery's electrolyte leakage were caused by over-tightening of the nuts by my dealer.

http://priuschat.com/forums/international-owners/6539-prius-in-singapore-16.html

Some pictures from Art's automotive if you decide to remove your HV battery:

Installing a Prius HV Battery

15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Tables are best handled by using:

• "["table"]" - without the quotes, this is the table tag
    • "|" - is the seperator between each column
    • <RETURN> - ends a line or row of data
    • repeat for as many rows as needed
    • "["/table"]" - ends the table

Thanks!

Everytime we have someone investigate these units, we gain valuable insights. No one person has all the answers and I appreciate your observations.

Sorry to be late but I've been working on a ScanGauge hack. <grins>

Bob Wilson

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Sorry but I was busy on another project this weekend but you can see the advantage of a specific thread on the battery versus a mix. I want to briefly cover safety, NiMH characteristics, specifics of this battery and a "get well plan."

SAFETY

Before proceeding, remove the buss bar assemblies on one side of the traction battery. Carefully remove the terminal nuts and pry up and off the buss bar on one side. I would recommend the one without the sense wires. Once you have one side removed, you'll have 19 pairs of modules. The key is only touch one nut at a time . . . put one hand in a pocket makes a lot of sense.

NiMH CHARACTERISTICS

Please study NiMH data sheets and the Wiki article on NiMH batteries. The key is NiMH battery state of charge and capacity can not be told by a simple voltage check. The radio control (RC) crowd has a lot of excellent articles about NiMH batteries and the problems of series cells. Critical facts:

• 1.2 V - nominal voltage per cell, six cells -> 7.2 V nominal
    • self-discharge - NiMH batteries lose their charge just sitting on the shelf. Use, the charge/discharge, is one of the best things that keep them healthy
    • 6.5 Ahr -> ~2.2 Ahr in use - the Dept. of Energy fleet studies and my own show capacity decreases over time (actually it looks to be fairly quickly measured in months.)
    Ok, so let's look at your battery voltages plotted using 1.2 V as the major scale:
    [​IMG]
    You'll notice the grouping around 1.2 V. boundaries. Looking at this chart:

• one module looks to have two bad cells - the one closest to 5V.
    • multiple modules have self-discharged so one cell is 'dead' - notice they are spread across the board. This is the signature of a well worked battery (think "Deacon's One Hoss Shay.")
    • most modules show six cells - slowly discharging, a bunch are still show six good cells but self-discharge is not your friend
    Before going any further, after removing the buss bar on one side, use a felt pen with one color to number all modules 1-38. This will be critical if you plan to rebuild the battery.

GET WELL PLAN

You mentioned cost is important but I think it makes sense to call Re-InVolt who rebuild traction batteries. I see they have listings on Ebay and I know they do good work. As a depot doing hundreds of traction pack rebuilds, they have the tools, experience, and inventory to build a quality pack. However, Lucisous Garage and Arts Automotive are alternatives located on in the San Francisco area. I also understand $1,700 for Re-InVolt's best rebuild is money that may not be available but they have NHW11 module packs for less. They may be able to negotiate a little off if you offer both packs as trade-in.

Now if you need to rebuild your pack, you're going to need:

• multi-cell, six cell, NiMH charger - the RC community has them and a key element is dV detection with temperature backup. It needs to support a discharge and charge cycle and report the battery capacity in Ahr. I'm using an MRC 989 but at $150, it isn't cheap (but cheap tools . . . ) With 38 modules to measure, you may want to go with two lessor chargers to cut the time in half.
    • clamps and board - (see Prius Battery Photos) to keep gas from distorting the case if the NiMH battery charger vs module doesn't work out. I like to use a maximum of 1 A but this stretches the cycle time.
    My research and testing indicates loss of water in the electrolyte dries it out and leads to a permanent cell failure. As the electrolyte dries, it concentrates the current in smaller and smaller areas through the plastic mesh, separator. When the ohmic heating gets hot enough, it melts and shorts the cell. This is unrecoverable and the module needs to go to a recycler.

There is a Toyota/Panasonic patent on module refurbishment that involves replacing the liquid electrolyte. I have done similar experiments just replacing the lost water (i.e., electrolysis and battery chemistry produces a small amount of H{2} and O{2} gas that seeps out of the relatively weak, NHW11 terminals.) The hard problem is resealing the modules which my testing indicates must be done by well controlled, plastic welding, more than something simple hand-tools can handle.

So the first thing is to survey the 38 modules with a charge-discharge test. Record the Ahr capacity of each module and rank them. You'll need the current battery modules surveyed too, 76 modules (although I don't have any hope for #11 of this current pack.) Once you've surveyed all modules, take the top 38 and rebuild the vehicle pack. Don't forget the self-discharge effect, you are working against the clock!

Now look carefully at the buss bars. You are likely to see a lot of corrosion. Re-InVolt specially preps the wires to minimize corrosion but you can buy new assemblies from Toyota for a couple of hundred dollars. Some folks have tried to remove corrosion using chemical and scrubbing. I wish them luck but having dealt with the electrolyte, KOH, it is wicked, vicious stuff.

I would want to look closely at the terminals and use pool pH testing to detect terminal leakage (your P3009.) It may make sense to select modules showing less leakage versus ones with good capacity today but evidence of higher leakage.

Doing the job right, I would expect it to take a couple of weeks to properly survey the modules, $150-300 in RC charger(s), and another $200 in new buss bar assembly. It will also take at least an hour each weekday morning and evening during the survey period and then the weekend too. Realisticly, it is likely to take more than a month.

You'll want to carefully wash each module, individually, to remove any traces of KOH. Also, you'll want all the modules to be balanced. Finally, I would put a topping charge on the modules before putting the whole pack in the car so they all start at the closest to identical state of charge. Don't rush as you want this pack to last for years (although by the end you may be ready to chunck the whole thing!)

Bob Wilson

17. jk450

jk450 New Member

Have you personally rebuilt a complete Gen I Prius battery pack, using the methods you describe above?

If so, what were the results?

18. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This was originally in the Error codes C1522 & P3000, P3009 thread, regarding how to find a voltage leak in the battery with the P3009 code. I'm responding to it here, in order to keep all my data in one thread.

(Note: I'm still working on the battery that had given the "uneven charge" code. There was no indication from Toyota that this battery is leaking, but I figured I'd test it anyway, to see what I came up with. This battery is not in the car)

I tried this method, but the voltages are not stable. In the chart below, the column on the left indicates the cell terminals joined by the bus bar where the measurement was taken. The next column is voltage measurements. "Increasing" and "decreasing" indicates whether voltage was becoming more positive or more negative as the measurement was held. Measurements with low overall potential remained stable enough to get a reading, while higher potentials drifted consistently in whichever direction they were trending. The higher the potential, the faster the drift.

For example: on measurement 36/38 I held the measurement while the voltage climbed from -40 volts to -15 volts. The following measurement 38 began at -29 volts, which shows that each of these measurements are dependent on what had happened immediately before, not that there was a deviation in the voltage trend in that cell. Also note that the measurements were taken first on the side without sense wiring, and then on the side with sense wiring, so they were not taken chronologically in the order they are recorded.

Code:

1          5.14
    1/2       2.34
    2/3       -0.65          
    3/4       -0.234          
    4/5       -5.9          
    5/6       -6.4          
    6/7       -10.8          
    7/8       -11.1          
    8/9       -15.5          
    9/10     -15.12          
    10/11   -20.8     Decreasing       
    11/12   -19.09   Decreasing       
    12/13   -25       Decreasing       
    13/14   -23.29   Decreasing       
    14/15   -31        Decreasing       
    15/16   -29.2     Decreasing       
    16/17   -36        Decreasing       
    17/18   -33.8    Decreasing       
    18/19   -42       Increasing       
    19        -39.7    Decreasing       
    20        2.13     Decreasing       
    20/21   10        Decreasing       
    21/22   -0.2     increasing       
    22/23   -4        Increasing       
    23/24   -10     increasing       
    24/25   -10      Increasing       
    25/26   -16      increasing       
    26/27   -18      Increasing       
    27/28   -20      increasing       
    28/29   -24      Increasing       
    29/30   -27      increasing       
    30/31   -27      Increasing       
    31/32   -29      increasing       
    32/33   -30      Increasing       
    33/34   -39      increasing       
    34/35   -39      Increasing       
    35/36   -40      increasing       
    36/37   -40      Increasing       
    37/38   -44      increasing       
    38        -29      Increasing      
    The following measurements were taken with a MegOhm meter.

Measurements are in megohms.

These data are recorded in the order they were taken.
    Code:

Megger test       
    1/2     45       
    3/4     37       
    5/6     42       
    7/8     41       
    9/10    41       
    11/12   41       
    13/14   41       
    15/16   40       
    17/18   40       
    19      40       
    20      38       
    21/22   35       
    23/24   32       
    25/26   29       
    27/28   26       
    29/30   24       
    31/32   23       
    33/34   22       
    36/36   20       
    37/38   19       
    1       48       
    2/3     39       
    4/5     42       
    6/7     45       
    8/9     47       
    10/11   46       
    12/13   44       
    14/15   44       
    16/17   45       
    18/19   44       
    20/21   42       
    22/23   38       
    24/25   34       
    26/27   30       
    28/29   27       
    30/31   25       
    32/33   23       
    34/35   22       
    36/37   20       
    38/39   18

19. jk450

jk450 New Member

The method cited in the thread you found mentions a "DVM", which is presumably referring to a DVOM, rather than a megger, which you are using. However, it contains several significant errors; Wikipedia is not necessarily an accurate source of information. Here's some experience from the field:

Luscious Garage | Blog | Toyota Hybrids P3009: High Voltage Leak Detected, internal to battery

Keep in mind that if you don't have a P3009 code, you don't have a high-voltage leak to ground issue.

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks,
    A good plan, to compare and contrast both batteries.

I didn't think of this before but it makes sense to ground the probes to eliminate any latent charge. But if the display goes to 0 V. when removed, what I would expect to see, then there is no latent charge from the instrument.

The meter input impedance affects high resistance circuits such as an electrolyte leakage to ground. This is what Wiki reports:

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimeter"]Multimeter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

When dealing with circuits with megaohms of resistance, the DVM is just another resistor that changes circuit behavior. When the values wander, you're in a region where we don't know what we're looking at. But when the values appear stable, it is a trusable value.
    This sounds like a high resistance, RC time constant charging a capacitor.

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
    0 1 5.14
    1 1/2 2.34
    2 2/3 -0.65 Here
    3 3/4 -0.234 or here
    4 4/5 -5.9
    5 5/6 -6.4
    6 6/7 -10.8
    7 7/8 -11.1
    8 8/9 -15.5
    9 9/10 -15.12
    10 10/11 -20.8 Decreasing
    11 11/12 -19.09 Decreasing
    12 12/13 -25 Decreasing
    13 13/14 -23.29 Decreasing
    14 14/15 -31 Decreasing
    15 15/16 -29.2 Decreasing
    16 16/17 -36 Decreasing
    17 17/18 -33.8 Decreasing
    18 18/19 -42 Increasing
    19 19 -39.7 Decreasing
    Code translated to a table.

You'll notice in this bank the voltage reaches a value closest to zero volts at the 2/3 and 3/4 point. This is the area I would look for a resistance to ground in the series.

Code:

20      2.13     Decreasing       
    20/21   10       Decreasing       
    21/22   -0.2     increasing       
    22/23   -4       Increasing       
    23/24   -10      increasing       
    24/25   -10      Increasing       
    25/26   -16      increasing       
    26/27   -18      Increasing       
    27/28   -20      increasing       
    28/29   -24      Increasing       
    29/30   -27      increasing       
    30/31   -27      Increasing       
    31/32   -29      increasing       
    32/33   -30      Increasing       
    33/34   -39      increasing       
    34/35   -39      Increasing       
    35/36   -40      increasing       
    36/37   -40      Increasing       
    37/38   -44      increasing       
    38      -29      Increasing
    I changed the font to Courier, a monospaced font and aligned the text by " " insertion.

These look isolated which is correct. There is a loose change but no 'smoking gun.' The other bank shows some evidence of resistance path to ground.

I still see a local minimum at the 2/3 group. As for the other bank, maybe at 38 but not a smoking gun.

Bob Wilson