1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nifong Disbarred!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wildkow, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well that was to be expected but so far as I know no one has addressed the fact that this man intentionally tried to send three young men to jail. Even this comment by him and his attorney does not address the issue . . .

"I've talked with Mr. Nifong, and he has told me [that] in light of the findings of fact this commission has made -- and he's told me that he believes this has been a fair and full hearing of the facts -- that he believes that disbarment is the appropriate punishment in this case," defense attorney David Freedman said.

Freedman also said Nifong would waive all right of appeal in the proceedings.

"He hopes this helps restore some of the confidence in the criminal justice system of North Carolina," Freedman said, according to The Associated Press.

It's possible that I missed this confession but I don't think so. . .

He needs to goto jail min sentence 5-10 years. If not it will not restore my confidence in the criminal justice systemn in NC.

Wildkow

Wildkow

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jun 17 2007, 12:20 AM) [snapback]463326[/snapback]</div>
    I'd like to see Nifong go to the same facility he tried his best to send the students. No protective custody, just throw him in with the general population. I'm sure "Bubba" there will be able to perform an attitude correction. Should anything actually happen to Nifong while in prison at least he will know how to file a complaint. However, IMO the legal fraternity will watch out for their own and he won't spend a day as a guest of the state.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    good... but we're still getting out of here asap.

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Besides sending Nifong to jail....

Let me go a few steps further...

The plaintif should be his cellmate, and....

the 88 duke professors that signed that letter should be stripped of tenure and have to write on the blackboard 500 times - innocent until proven guilty, and,

duke university should have to pay some sort of monetary penalty to the lacrosse team coach and the kids who were penalized by the cancellation of the season. and

the press who casitigated and crucified these boys - should have to find some other field of work...

5. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Don't forget about Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. Have they made their public apologies yet?

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 18 2007, 10:09 AM) [snapback]463969[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, hindsight is 20/20, eh Berman?

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jun 18 2007, 11:29 AM) [snapback]463983[/snapback]</div>
    not hindsight - common sense. i assume you enjoyed seeing those INNOCENT [until proven guilty] young while males tortured for a year, have their lives ruined, face 30 years in prison, and spend millions of $'s on their legal defense? Who will re-imburse them for their legal costs??

I would also change the rape laws - we have swung tooooo far over to protect the plaintif while running over the normal checks and balances defendants normally enjoy.

8. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 18 2007, 11:34 AM) [snapback]463986[/snapback]</div>
    wow nicely said..... B)

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another uncommon general agreement w/ Dr. B.
    The Duke profs were out of line...way out of line. A concensus statement to the effect that although they don't condone illicit behavior on or off campus that they will withhold judgement until the legal system has had an opportunity to run it's course.
    Taking away tenure is probably a bit extreme...but some sort of note in their record making sure that the next time they want a raise, a favor, whatever most certainly oughta take that misstep into consideration.

Jackson and Sharpton should make a statement in support of the students and apologize for their statements....not that that would change the views of anyone on either of them.

Nifong should go to jail, I'm sure his 'confession' and decision to not appeal are a preemptive effort to show remorse in hopes it helps him escape jail time.

The students should have the rest of their education paid for my the state of North Carolina...as well as punative damages.

10. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One thing that stood out to me in this case is how dreadfully tilted our legal system is toward the wealthy. The two lacrosse players were really only able to beat this charge because their parents had the money to fight the wrongful charges. As was mentioned in an earlier post, their familes spend untold sums of money defending their children.

However, the outcome might have been quite different had the familes not had the financial resources to hire a top-notch criminal defense attorney. If these two kids had not come from wealthy families, they might have very well sitting behind bars. Sad but true.

11. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jun 18 2007, 12:44 PM) [snapback]464041[/snapback]</div>
    While it's obvious that you can win in court if you have money, nevertheless, it's also obvious, at least to me, that rather than being tilted towards the wealthy, it is, in fact tilted towards guilty until proven innocent. Then, the only ones who CAN defend themselves are the ones with money. You've come to the right conclusion from the wrong direction: A system that presumes that you're guilty can only be defended against if one has the money to do so. If you don't have the money, you're in trouble. Do you recall what the cost was to those families? It was at least in the six figures for each. Sure, they had the money.

I don't know what the fonger's motivation was but incompetence certainly seems to be a big factor. He believed a stripper with mental problems? What's wrong with you, Nifong, never met any strippers before? Are you naive or just plain stupid?

12. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    at the time this happened, the whole city was littered with these eyesore political "let's keep mike nifong district attorney" signs.

that should say it all: election time.

13. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 18 2007, 01:27 PM) [snapback]464087[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe I'm missing something, galaxee. Is the city predominantly black? Going after affluent white kids on the word of a black stripper seems rather bizarre, otherwise.

14. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I have to agree with Dr Berman (that's a first) the Duke Professors should be roundly castigated for their premature conviction of the Lacrosse players. This country was founded on innocent until proven guilty. This has been erroded over the last several years with everyone jumping to conclusions and flying off the handle with little or no information in hand. Mr. Nifong was attempting to make his bones on what, at first blush he thought was a slam dunk case. He like everyone in the media and Sharpton and Jackson who should know better let fly with inflamatory invectives. Not only has Sharpton & Jackson not apologized but neither has the media.

15. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    eh, it's hard to describe. it seems sometimes like multiple distinct towns that somehow occupy the same area... but in short, to answer your question, yes- there are a large number of black durhamites.

16. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 18 2007, 01:36 PM) [snapback]464097[/snapback]</div>
    Good thing it was never brought to trial then. With the OJ trial as an example, the kids would probably have been convicted even with lack of real evidence and an unstable stripper and her "colleague" as the only witnesses. Sort of refutes the idea that money is the only thing that influences the outcome of a jury trial.

17. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well i don't know if i'd go that far, Jack. there are also examples of all kinds of other races, financial backgrounds, educational backgrounds here. though it would have made being on that jury very difficult, for sure.

18. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Jun 18 2007, 01:43 PM) [snapback]464104[/snapback]</div>
    You are assuming that the jury representation of blacks would have been just about equal to their percentage of population in the area. Don't forget the jury pools are drawn from registered voters in most states and that blacks have a notoriously low percentage of registered voters...

19. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jun 18 2007, 01:59 PM) [snapback]464116[/snapback]</div>
    enh B)

20. micksimon

micksimon New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jun 17 2007, 11:33 PM) [snapback]463754[/snapback]</div>
    You're right. The maximum penalty in NC is disbarment. One of the talk shows said last week that recently a DA here in NC was found guilty of knowingly prosecuting a murder case that sent the innocent defendant to death row. He got reprimanded - no disbarment. :angry: