1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nigerian pipeline blast early this morning

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Rancid13, May 12, 2006.

1. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I heard this reported on the news this morning, and there's been speculation about whether this will have an impact on gas prices.

Up to 200 dead in Nigeria pipeline blast

Villagers had gathered as vandals drilled into pipe to steal oil

Article

2. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    this post has been removed

3. dsunman

dsunman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ May 12 2006, 02:19 PM) [snapback]254209[/snapback]</div>
    It's unfortunate that this happens again as pipeline tapping accidents have long history of happening. Nigeria is truly troubled nation despite of it's massive oil resources it still struggles so much, never really gaining a momentum of stability.

Country faces rapid over-population, overwhelming sectarian and ethnic aspirations. Tiptoeing on a brink of a civil war not only on a grounds of inter-faith struggle, islamic north and christian south, but mainly on social injustices and deeply rooted poverty that further escalates.

Even tough multi-nationals are being forced lately to address the issues of poverty by amassing large donations. Somehow this notion backfires, as Nigeria is one of the most corrupted nations on the planet and very few reap the benefits. Transfered funds rarely siphon into the populous oriented agendas. This leads into conflicts and formation of anti-governmental and anti-western interests militias.

Nigeria is one of the main suppliers of oil to US, every little quirky situation on Nigerian soil leads into higher prices of a crude. Even though Obasanjo was first civilian ruler winning the troubled elections in a long time, somehow he has no grip on the current situation in the country. If the situation worsens and dissipates into chaos I would see US directly intervening militarily to protect western interests in oil extraction. This may be a follow up to Iraq some day in the near future.

:)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ May 12 2006, 02:22 PM) [snapback]254210[/snapback]</div>

I hardly find this tragedy funny :blink: :(

People drill into pipelines all over the world to trickle few liters of oil for cooking purposes out of desperation, occasionally dying, they know the risks, but poverty has no limits in acts of desperation. :(

being too 'fat' to get it, arn't you :blink:

4. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ May 12 2006, 02:22 PM) [snapback]254210[/snapback]</div>
    I'm glad that you find this amusing.

5. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

This is a very sad story, could you explain what is so funny about it?

6. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

It wasn't oil running through the pipeline, but gasoline. The villagers vadalize the piepline to get 'free' gas (not to out n their Hummers, but for everyday uses, but something went wrong this time and an explosion.

They just buried the dead in mass graves because they said there was no point trying to identify the bodies.

7. hybridTHEvibe

hybridTHEvibe New Member

you are a screwball

8. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hybridTHEvibe @ May 14 2006, 09:52 AM) [snapback]255152[/snapback]</div>
    (_|_) = hybrid the vibe, :ph34r:

People drill into pipelines all over the world to trickle few liters of oil for cooking purposes out of desperation, occasionally dying, they know the risks, but poverty has no limits in acts of desperation.
    This is supposed to make us feel bad for them, and reason to everyone that its ok for them to steal..

It wasn't oil running through the pipeline, but gasoline. The villagers vadalize the piepline to get 'free' gas (not to out n their Hummers, but for everyday uses, but something went wrong this time and an explosion.

Oh well, I looked at it from the aspect they got what was comming to them for stealing ... Heart-less maybe! You can blame it on proffession: If your willing to do the crime, then your willing to do the time. No remorse for the law breakers! Just thier families they leave behind.
    *****************************************************************************************
    As for my original post below
    LOL thats great!!
    Yeah the villagers were just hanging out waiting for some oil too...
    BooM I wander what the last thing that went thru the drillers head? The drill of course.
    I will apologize for my above statment. For in my quest for being humorous I went to far.. :( -_-

Your apology is ridden with blame placed on others to obscure your own foolish remarks
    I wasnt blaming anyone other than myself to justify my lack of tact in trying to be funny and the Apology still stands...

People can read as far as they want to into my posting <I am trying to eat the crow without choking to death on the feathers>. ie publicly apoligizing for the stupid responce as it was done in poor taste.....

I did not know that it is a way of life there, But I still stand by my living by the laws setforth by ones country & state is the best policy...

9. dsunman

dsunman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ May 14 2006, 11:43 AM) [snapback]255195[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure if your retort to my statement suppose to convey a justification to laugh for deaths of 200 people, innocent or not. Clearly, you seem to be devoid of a concept of stealing in case of Nigeria and other developing nations. Everybody steals in Nigeria from a government to multi-nationals and local people, it's a unfortunate way of life in this troubled nation. Let's say if there was a tragedy resulting in 200 deaths of American ex-pats in Nigeria, I guess you wouldn't be so eager to use so many emoticons to express your joy of other people's unfortunate loss of life.

You've exposed your sang-froid about it with unprecedented hubris. Your apology is ridden with blame placed on others to obscure your own foolish remarks. Sorry pal, you should have known better that in this case a simple 'I'm sorry for my stupid remark' would have been classier, too late for that.

Enjoy Mother's Day :)

10. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

*****************************************************************************************
    As for my original post below
    LOL thats great!!
    Yeah the villagers were just hanging out waiting for some oil too...
    BooM I wander what the last thing that went thru the drillers head? The drill of course.
    I will apologize for my above statment. For in my quest for being humorous I went to far.. :( -_-
    [/quote]

To error is human. To acknowledge one's error publicly is divine. To refuse to see the light is to condemn oneself to a lifetime of disrespect and derision.

11. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ May 14 2006, 07:22 AM) [snapback]255122[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, it's called dark humor, cracked me up too! What I wonder is how far up in the air some might have been thrown, 50, 100, 200 feet? :lol:

Obviously it's a tragedy, and in reality there really isn't anything funny about it.

So now we should start "banning", oppressing, different forms of humor because other's don't find it funny, or it's politically incorrect? :lol:

12. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    this post has been removed

13. jared2

jared2 New Member

"I did not know that it is a way of life there"

There is. It is called being exploited and living in poverty so people in the rich world can take the oil to drive SUVs, watch TV and defend the "American way of life". Amen.

14. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 16 2006, 02:36 PM) [snapback]256379[/snapback]</div>
    Now really, who's fault is that? Ours, or corrupt goverments that, for the sake of argument, accept "the west's" terms?

15. dsunman

dsunman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ May 16 2006, 11:30 AM) [snapback]256264[/snapback]</div>
    I've heard the same argument in defense of those who where cheering and passing jokes when Twin Towers collapsed.

Explanations that it was a simple BLACK HUMOR didn't fit my acceptance then nor the deaths of 200 villagers in Nigeria fits that description now, no matter in what shape or form.

Is it tactful to refrain from such comments? you bet it is.

But nobody is going to stop you from making an arse of yourself, ultimately your choice, perhaps you may be rejoicing such fact.

Are you equipped to comprehend where to apply inconsiderate vacuous remarks? Perhaps you're not.

I'm assuming your initial apology was just a prevarication in response to those who were offended by you comment.

Now you're 'TALKING LOUD AND CLEAR'

Hum, I see squidlyboy coming to your defense instantaneously or perhaps writing another blurry illogical retort for you.

As you're his clapper and he is your master. ;)

16. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dsunman @ May 16 2006, 02:43 PM) [snapback]256386[/snapback]</div>
    Except from, "The World According to dsunman: It's MY way, or NO way; political ideologies from the first person to ever claim the post of Emperor of America (with foreword commentary by former president George W. Bush)"

17. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 16 2006, 02:42 PM) [snapback]256385[/snapback]</div>
    Corruption is a two way street. US corporatism certainly does not take a back seat in that regard.

18. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 16 2006, 02:53 PM) [snapback]256392[/snapback]</div>
    Glad you realize the U.S. solely isn't at fault, but that part seems to get buried doesn't it?

19. dsunman

dsunman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 16 2006, 02:48 PM) [snapback]256389[/snapback]</div>
    Gee :lol: :lol: :lol:

wasn't I expecting addled instantaneous response? :lol: :lol: :lol:

squidly, not enough cattiness this time, try again ;)

20. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dsunman @ May 16 2006, 02:57 PM) [snapback]256397[/snapback]</div>
    Oh yeah, that took heavy IQ... :lol:

I'm sure I will... ;)

:D

oh, btw, are you a fairly tall fellow?