1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

night interior lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by psikot, Oct 18, 2007.

1. psikot

psikot New Member

i was wondering if it was possible to make the lights on the stearing wheel brighter at night

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. sea-horsea

sea-horsea Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 18 2007, 02:08 AM) [snapback]527234[/snapback]</div>
    why not...is it just impossible or? i mean there has to be a light source right? or they are illuminated like the watch....

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They are LEDs, I think, and it may, theoretically be possible to make them brighter, but this has come up many times before and several people very knowledgable about and experienced with electronics have been unable to find a practical way to get them brighter. There's also concern about whether it would cause problems...like burning out, melting the buttons, etc.

So is it possible...maybe.
    Is there any realistic way that's been found...no.

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Once you get acustomed to the buttons, each has a different feel, you will be able to operate them by feel which is better than taking your eyes off the road. I believe they are dim to minimise distraction.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 18 2007, 08:45 AM) [snapback]527260[/snapback]</div>
    I have the same opinion. Once you get used to them, they are bright enough.

As for being technically possible to make them brighter, sure, it can be done, but it's not an easy modification. You can modify your Prius to make it a rear engine car if you really want to. It's only time and money.

Tom

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I drive a manual car I don't need to look at the gear lever to find it or shift it.

8. prius2go

prius2go Member

I prefer controls on sticks
    Buttons that rotate with the wheel are a nuisance working out what's where :mellow:

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2go @ Oct 18 2007, 06:15 PM) [snapback]527487[/snapback]</div>
    Some sticks (stalks) rotate too, such as the cruise control on the Prius. Sometimes it's hard to find.

Tom

10. mchaconcr

mchaconcr New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2go @ Oct 18 2007, 04:15 PM) [snapback]527487[/snapback]</div>
    My wife's Citroen C4 solved that in a very weird, but practical way... the center of the wheel, where the controls are... does not turn!!! only the external part of the wheel (the grip) rotates!!! so... no matter if you're turning... your radio, cruise control, telephone controls and horn never move!!

11. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i vaguelly recall and its not verified and i most likely wrong, but i thought there was a way to adjust the brightness of the steering wheel lights with the dealer programmer

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marco CR @ Oct 21 2007, 10:39 PM) [snapback]528687[/snapback]</div>
    Pretty cool, huh?

13. wyounger

wyounger New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rigormortis @ Oct 22 2007, 06:00 AM) [snapback]528723[/snapback]</div>
    I was about to say the same thing. I think there is an obscure way to do it with the dealer programmer, I think I've even seen the Toyota chart showing the brightness settings available. I seem to remember reading about someone getting a dealer to crank up the lights, once they asked around at enough dealers to talk to a tech that was a Prius enthusiast.

I have been hoping that they will go the way of Citroen and make the hub of the wheel stay fixed. Steering wheel buttons are great but as they are now they are worthless when the wheel isn't in the dead-ahead position. And if you've seen the "catcher's mitt" shaped passenger airbags that have started showing up in Lexuses, it seems quite logical that they would try to apply the same tech to the driver's airbag, which will require that the airbag not rotate with the wheel.

Oh, if it's not apparent from my description, the purpose of making the airbag shaped like a catcher's mitt is to help guide the head and upper body of the passenger toward the center of the airbag. Since crashes aren't always neatly head on, oftentimes you would kind of tend to slide off the side of the airbag to some extent, even with seat belts.