1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Night time running lights out on 2004 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kiran, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Kiran

Kiran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2004 prius seems not to be showing the running lights when I am driving at night suddenly. Anyone have any ideas of why the rear lights that are usually on when you are driving at night may be out and how to troubleshoot them?

It could be a fuse. I just checked with my wife and the rear running lights never work even when the brake or hazards are on.

I happen to also have the warning light for the auto leveling issue consistently on my car. The dealer said it would be $800 to fix it. I asked what it would do if I didn't fix it and he said then you would have normal front headlights instead of ones that move. I have never fixed it and the car has been fine all for 3 years. I just thought to mention it in case it is somewhat relevant to the problems with the rear lights now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated from the experts on this forum. I love my prius and this community is great. There are so many helpful experts here.

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If the amber parking lights in the front are working, I would replace the tail lights (running lights) on the rear first. It takes a standard 5 Watt Wedge Type Bulb that can be purchased at any auto parts dealer. If the front parking lights are not working, then either a fuse is blown or they have burned out also.

The bulbs I use that seem to work the best for me is the Sylvania 2825 LL

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/_/N-5yc1s?itemIdentifier=493800

See this link for more information.

bulb replacement, tail light 08? | PriusChat

3. Kiran

Kiran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the helpful advice Dorunron,

If it is the fuse, do you know how I can figure out which fuse to replace? Or would it be easy to tell since the fuse would look blown?

Also, where can I find the fuse box? Sorry I am pretty new to maintaining this car.

I appreciate you sharing the model of the light bulb you use too.

Btw, I have energy savers on my prius also and love the increase in mpg.

4. Kiran

Kiran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks like the amber lights are on so I will try the replacement. thanks for the model number again.

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Two fuse panels that I know of. One under the hood on drivers side. Latch on front needs to be depressed, then the cover will swing up. There is another panel in the cabin I think on the drivers side. Never been in that one.

Chances are you just needs the bulbs. Easy fix.

6. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Those "Wedge Type Bulbs" don't have a long life I replaced them with LEDs. I wouldn't bother with the fuses until I replace the lights first.

7. Kiran

Kiran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks! You both were right. It was just the bulbs. They were super easy to get out and replace. The access is simple and they were clearly black and burned out. I put in new ones for just $5 and believe I am good to go now thanks to the forum! You all rock!

8. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Check to see if the license plate lights and parking lights are out as well as the tail lights. All three are on 10amp fuse number 15 in the fuse box under the hood. I've attached a couple pages from the owners manual with descriptions of all the fuses in the THREE fuse boxes.

Attached Files:

9. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    As far as the headlight leveling sensor, if your lights aren't actually moving, there may be a solution here. I did some searching about this problem and found one potential solution, cleaning corroded contacts inside the leveling sensor behind the left rear tire. . . if you are mechanically inclined. I can't take credit for the attachment, but this might fix it for you. I don't necessarily recommend the replacement spring he made, but it worked for him.

Attached Files: