1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Night vs Day driving

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Sabby, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have been driving the Prius for about 3 weeks. I am getting better results with it as I learn how to drive it. During the day on the highway I am able to prepare for uphills and benefit from the downhill with greater frequency. This site has been helpful.

At night I find it much more difficult to drive in the same manner. The topography is not as apparent. Grade changes become more of a surprise and my results are not as good. Seeking tips from those with more experience especially regarding driving on an unlit highway.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Install better headlights with more distance throw?

Unless I am in unfamiliar territory I know the route and technique required. This may take many months of commuting to get to this point though. I can understand where you are coming from.

3. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got no problem with the headlights as is.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Google map (terrain) the prospective route? On an unlit highway, I would just set the radar cruise on LONG and just watch out for wildlife or just make changes on the fly (i.e. reactive actions rather than proactive). Are you able to use your high beams? Perhaps swap the stock bulbs for high performance halogen ones (like the Phillips X-Treme Power bulbs that I used on the Gen 2 Prius).

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think you just need to accept that night driving is not as easy, there's no way to completely cancel that: distances can be deceptive, visibility tanks, especially to the rear.

Remedies: slow down, reduce distractions (radio, phone, etc), plan your route (get a gps, for better feedback on cross-streets, etc?). Last but not least, just minimize your night driving, as much as you can.