1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nightmarish Nine-Day Traffic Jam: In China, Cars Crawl Along 60-Mile Stretch

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Aug 24, 2010.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nightmarish Nine-Day Traffic Jam: In China, Cars Crawl Along 60-Mile Stretch : The Two-Way : NPR

Geez! They could sure use some hybrids there to cut down on the amount of fuel wasted during stop and go along w/the pollution. When I was there, I saw 0 Priuses.

Coworkers who've visited said the the pollution there (at least in Beijing) is terrible and I hear about it work sometimes from some Chinese employees. I was there during the Paralympics (the month following the Olympics). IIRC, for the Olympics, the government took many steps to cut down on the pollution for the Olympics by doing things like shutting factories.

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Its a snowball effect. Road construction from heavy trucks leaving big rutts in the road caused lane closures. This increaed congestion. This made some of the big trucks overheat and/or breakdown. This caused more delays, more overheating more breakdows, more lane closures, and it continues. The locals are apparently selling water and food at huge markup prices to those stranded.

Pollution is bad, and they did shut many factories down prior to the Olympics for months. One of my manufacturers was in the shutdown radius and my projects were delayed for 3 months because of it. But there is nothing they could do...

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  5. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Traffic is pretty bad in rush hours over there in the big cities. The problems are similar to the problems here: too many big trucks which move slowly and have breakdowns. It's worse there because the big trucks are older than here. Passenger cars, however, are smaller than here because they don't have nearly as many big SUVs and people don't have as much income for cars. SUVs over there are mainly corporate leases. Gas prices are lower there because there is mainly one large govt-run gas station. You don't have oil futures speculation to volatilize gas prices--and now electricity prices-- over here.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They're all trucks... I'm guessing it's a road used to transport goods across the country?

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Up in L.A. they call that, "rush hour" though there's no rush ... and sayings like that should be no surprise. After all, we say that we park on "driveways" and we drive on "parkways".